DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon announces(?) new lens caps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/511920-canon-announces-new-lens-caps.html)

Jon Fairhurst November 6th, 2012 04:32 PM

Canon announces(?) new lens caps

Forget cameras and lenses, Canon will roll out new, center-pinch lens caps this January. It's about time!

I've seen this on a few sites, but haven't been able to find an official Canon announcement. According to Bryan Carnathan at The Digital Picture, the information is from Canon UK. I didn't see a link there, so it's possible that it was posted prematurely and taken down. But this does seem to be real information (with pics), not just a rumor.

And, yes, I will replace all of my caps. The edge release caps simply don't work when using a hood.

Khoi Pham November 6th, 2012 09:47 PM

Re: Canon announces(?) new lens caps

What do you think about their new 24-70mm F4 IS.
What are they thinking.

Sabyasachi Patra November 7th, 2012 02:02 AM

I had got some similar third party lens caps, and those work well. Especially when the lens hood is on, replacing the lens cap by pressing on the sides takes time.

Khoi,
I use the 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens as well as the 24-105 F4 L IS USM lens. I use the 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens while filming from tripod or photographing handheld. While filming handheld, the 24-105 gets the preference because of the IS. I use the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM for handheld as well.

The 24-105 has some distortions, especially at 24mm end. If the new 24-70 f4 L IS USM is optically better, then it will be good for handheld filming. A very important part is the hybrid IS. I love the hybrid IS in the 100mm macro f2.8 L IS USM lens. So the 24-70 f4 L IS USM lens should be good. Will get one from canon for a handson later.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Lee Mullen November 7th, 2012 07:32 AM

You can get these caps off ebay dirt cheap with the Canon logo on, ok not technically "OEM" but certainly as good as! They've been on there for years too. Manufacterers are terribly slow.

Tim Polster November 7th, 2012 07:48 AM

I wish Canon would have updated the 24-105 lens rather than make a 24-70 F4. The extra reach is very useful.

Zach Love November 9th, 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1762512)
You can get these caps off ebay dirt cheap with the Canon logo on, ok not technically "OEM" but certainly as good as!

I got some & the "Canon" sticker started falling off letter by letter. Though the Nikon logo was molded into the cap. Either way, all worked well as lens caps & for the price, get three.

Paul Cronin November 10th, 2012 08:38 AM

I agree Tim the 24-105 at 2.8 or faster would be very nice.