Sony at CES2013 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony at CES2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
There was no picture to show what the side of the camera where the FMU128 goes on the NX5U to see if there is another recording medium like a new faster version of the FMU128.
Looks like the mockup is missing the FMU.

http://www.photographybay.com/wp-con...amcorder-4.jpg

Most likely because this is the prosumer model, so just like the AX2000 it's missing the FMU that it's sister NX5 has.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I think we need to see a more side view picture because with the cover plate that comes with the NX5U it doesn't look too different to the picture. You are correct though that the AX2000 does not have the connector cover plate like the NX5U. I just thought that the FMU connection may give an opportunity for a fast memory device based on the FMU128. I will watch with interest.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Major Player

What is the appeal of a 4K video camera at the consumer level? --they have nothing to play the output on that is affordable.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
What is the appeal of a 4K video camera at the consumer level? --they have nothing to play the output on that is affordable.
In my case, it's similar to me once owning a Ninja 1000 motorcycle. I sure couldn't use its full potential on the street, but it was nice to know it was there if I needed it.

Right now it might be impractical to shoot 4K, but think about what the images would look like even down converted to 1080.
Some people like good dynamic range, latitude, etc. I prefer sharp, crisp, crystal clear images. It'd be nice to have both, but I have a limited budget.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
For me it may be the same as when I first got my FX1. I used the HDV and cropped a normal DV file which allowed about a 2:1 zoom and pan over the image. Shot a concert with FX1 fixed mainly full stage and edit looked like a 4 camera shoot !!! With 4K one could do the same thing and extract a 1920x1080 image. Could be handy !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Major Player

Ron, Glenn, yes that is what I want one form to downconvert to 1080, and then zoom in and pan around, and crop without losing resolution. But that is prosumer fun. I just hope Sony doesn't dumb it down too much thinking they are targeting consumers.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Folks

Thanks for responding to my original post ... I am super excited about 4k in a nx5 form factor ...

Regarding the memory, if storage is to XQD card, then I assume the 64gb card for 4K would be the minimum practical size
The price for this card is 399.00 right now on B&H .. So 800.00 for storage on top of the price of the cam
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News