Metabones Speed Booster - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #16

Re: Metabones Speed Booster

Does the booster allow zoom thru? Does it increase f stops on non fixed zoom lens like the Canon 18-55mm? Can EF-S lenses even work with it? What about using Nikon or Pentax glass with an adapter to fit on the booster?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #17
Inner Circle

EF-S lenses will not work on this adapter according to the press release.

I'm really hoping for the .5x magnification for MFT, even if it may involve 2 lens elements. Would that work? 2 lens elements to get it down to .5x?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
The physics works - I think it was covered by Kodak patents from what I've read (not sure if they are still valid or now expired...). The principle is also sometimes used in astronomical refraction telescopes/eye-pieces (funnily enough I bought one that uses this effect only this morning!)
Cooke did a similar thing when converting a 35mm Zoom lens the Cooke Varopanchro, 20-60mm, T3.1 into the 16mm Cooke Varopanchro (CVP) 10-30mm, T1.6.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I've just read the report by James Miller on Philip Bloom's site. James seems to think that not only is light intensity enhanced through the lens (to provide that lift in f/stop speed), but the actual image quality is enhanced too! That doesn't quite ring true in my head...but James' early tests seem to indicate that it is. All I can say at the moment is...Wow!
I suspect that by "actual image quality is enhanced too" they mean "relative to using it in cropped mode".

Look at it this way. If it was able to resolve 4000 lines across the horizontal in full frame mode, that means it will resolve about 2850 across the width of the smaller s35 frame, or say about 2000 across the width of the 4/3 frame.

By concentrating the image, there exists the possibility of getting the entire 4000 lines across the smaller frame.

I do think it's an impressive idea, but as a word of caution then let's wait and see what practical trials have to say about things like use with zooms, auto-focus, etc. It may well do what it says on the tin with straightforward use of a simple prime ff lens - but there may be drawbacks in other ways.

Jack - sorry, but whilst a 0.5x version for 4/3 may be feasible in theory, I doubt it's viable in practice, not without a severe hit in quality. It's good news for 4/3 - but don't think anyone can now expect to get s35 performance out of a 4/3 camera.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Alright, so this benefits S35 more than MFT. Is it practical to make a PL mount to E-mount or F3 mount so that full frame coverage from Cine lenses translates to S35?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #21
Major Player

Jack,

As I understand it cine lenses already are S35 and not full frame.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #22
Inner Circle

There are some cine lenses that cover full frame, but they seem to be cine version of still lenses, for example the Compact Primes,
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Major Player

Could there be any concern that by "concentrating" the light onto the sensor that there could be a heating or other sensor damage potential? Sort of like a magnifying glass? or is that just a negligible effect?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Trustee

David, that might apply to stills images where the full frame bodies tend to provide a better photo quality than cameras with a smaller sensor, but when most of the top-tier full-frame and crop-frame DSLR cameras are compared in video mode they barely differ from each other.

In reality, it is more important that the video quality is not degraded and remains essentially the same when either an original 4/3 Panasonic/Olympus lens, or full-frame Canon /Nikkor/Pentax/Contax lens + Speed-Booster, are bayoneted to a GH3 body (or any crop sensor body).

The vital aspects to consider are that it works and that the vast majority of full-frame lenses available suddenly become faster wide-aperture lenses. It also avoids the normal added negatives of increased size, weight and considerable leap in costs.

This opens up a whole new world for the DSLR & Mirror-less camera lens systems.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #25
Major Player

Just ordered, This should be great for lightweight travel, take both the regular adapter and this FF one and get all kinds of range with fewer lenses.
Supposedly ships the 25th.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
David, that might apply to stills images where the full frame bodies tend to provide a better photo quality than cameras with a smaller sensor, but when most of the top-tier full-frame and crop-frame DSLR cameras are compared in video mode they barely differ from each other.
I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. The point about a (hypothetical) lens giving 4000 lines in full frame, but less in cropped (without adapter), but back to 4000 with adaptor was to answer your original point about "That doesn't quite ring true in my head...but James' early tests seem to indicate that it is." To try to show a theoretical reason why it is indeed possibe!

But "quality" when about lenses is not only about resolution - there's geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, flare and other issues. They are the sort of things which may mean it is difficult if not impossible to viably make a 0.5x version, whilst 0.7x is realistic. That's why I feel the real winners here are such as FS100/700 owners using ff lenses and adaptors. Yes, it is only likely to benefit 4/3 camera users, just not to the same extent, and not (I believe) to the extent that some are hoping for.
Quote:
The vital aspects to consider are that it works and that the vast majority of full-frame lenses available suddenly become faster wide-aperture lenses. It also avoids the normal added negatives of increased size, weight and considerable leap in costs.

This opens up a whole new world for the DSLR & Mirror-less camera lens systems.
But this is what remains to be seen. Yes, it may work with a single prime lens, but what about zoom lenses, autofocus etc? It's early days.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I have to say I really like the idea of having two Metabones adapters and having in a sense, two sets of glass for S35 - crop and reduction/speed boost. I welcome more lensing options at a minimal cost or the potential of leaving a few lenses out of my bag.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more hands-on reviews.
T.G. Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
I've just read the report by James Miller on Philip Bloom's site. James seems to think that not only is light intensity enhanced through the lens (to provide that lift in f/stop speed), but the actual image quality is enhanced too! That doesn't quite ring true in my head...but James' early tests seem to indicate that it is. All I can say at the moment is...Wow!
James' early tests claimed that removing the OLPF of the 5D3 improved image quality so I would look very carefully at his testing methods & results before uncritically accepting his claims.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
Jack,

As I understand it cine lenses already are S35 and not full frame.
Canon's new cine primes and zooms are FF/4K.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Yes, it may work with a single prime lens, but what about zoom lenses, autofocus etc? It's early days.
Their site says "All EF lenses," and suggests how to register "3rd party" zooms. So it is supposed to work, how well? I'll see once I get mine. I shoot a lot of outdoor, so i'm interested in how much ghosting and flare this introduces.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News