What cameras did the Sundance entries use? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: What cameras did the Sundance entries use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I counted nine RED Epics, but not a single Scarlet...? Wow.

-- peer
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
After seeing 21 films at this Sundance, I was surprised how many were still shot on film.
Interesting factoid - the next Spider-Man movie will be shot on film.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Talent is more important than tools.

I'm guessing the the people using iPhones & GoPros have just as much (or more) story telling talent than the guys using a Red or Arri.
Let's be careful here...

Yes, talent IS important.

Writing, directing, cinematography and editing.

But frankly, in MY not-so-humble opinion, if your story is strong enough, you are showing contempt for your viewer by not using the best AVAILABLE tools to tell it.

I've seen some interesting documentaries that had great content but something as simple as the audio or framing being TERRIBLE has thrown the entire viewing experience off for me.

Not bothering to involve the right people to make decisions around quality that you are unable to make is arrogant and short-sighted.

The BEST films are the ones made by a group of talented and totally "bought-in" people who are passionate about the story or the message. Does everything need to be shot in 4k on an Epic? No, but deliberately shooting on an iPhone with the built in mic shows contempt for the viewer or laziness on the part of the "director".

Trade sweat equity with other film makers - you shoot mine, I'll edit yours. Whatever it takes.

The whole concept of the high quality "zero-budget" or "micro-budget" film is absolutely flawed. There WAS a budget - contra or sweat equity. In Vancouver, LOTS of films are made without paying for crew. The best of them are when groups of people get together on their days off to systematically work through the collective's "to shoot" list.

Again, I help you today, you help me next week.

COMPLETELY acceptable - it's called contra. A reciprocal agreement.

The Craigslist phenomena of Friday night crew calls for DoPs WITH CAMERA and sound techs for noon Saturday crew call is absolutely flawed.

Good people, good story, good planning.

And don't forget EXCELLENT promotion. Facebook is only ONE TINY STEP in your marketing plan...

<steps off soapbox>

Last edited by Shaun Roemich; February 6th, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: errant comma
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #19
Major Player

Well it's a nice idea Shaun, but in my experience there are a lot of "something for nothing" merchants out there. I remember editing a short for a guy and putting serious hours in. It didn't occur to him to capture the 13 hours of footage on his own FCP system before handing it over to me. After a couple of weeks of him dropping by my place i had to tell him to go and buy some effing coffee and biscuits. That was his sole contribution to my weeks of work. About 2 pound fifty.
After that i shot and edited a music video for a guy and he later asked me if i wanted to BUY a 10 quid bag of weed off him. I nearly fell off my bar stool!
Those days are gone, and i'd have to absolutely love the person and their project to get involved these days, but it's still a good point. There are people collaborating and doing great things, but you need to be careful who you're getting involved with.

Regarding gear, there's no doubt - and many examples- of low gear budget going a long way. And vice versa.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #20
Space Hipster

So Dom...did you buy the bag of weed?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News