DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   RODE and Rycote Announce Collaboration & New Videomic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/514039-rode-rycote-announce-collaboration-new-videomic.html)

Andy Wilkinson February 4th, 2013 04:12 AM

RODE and Rycote Announce Collaboration & New Videomic

Just seen this. An interesting step. A new Videomic too!

RØDE Announces RYCOTE Collaboration, Releases New Videomic - DV Info Net

To quote:

"RØDE Microphones and UK-based audio accessory maker Rycote have announced a strategic alliance to allow RØDE access to implement Rycote’s Lyre suspension element across a wide range of microphones and accessories, on both an external and internal level."

Mike Beckett February 4th, 2013 06:36 AM

Re: RODE and Rycote Announce Collaboration & New Videomic

It would be good if they could bring the Rycote softies to the table too... it would be a nice package to have that, or a mini screen system.

RDE Videomic with Rycote - Everything you need for clean, clear audio

What I did learn from their video is that I'm not good-looking or cool enough to use this equipment.

Zach Love February 4th, 2013 11:08 AM

Function looks exciting. Execution / design looks like it needs some work.

I'm all for some extra color splash / bling on my gear, if it is well done, but the red / black looks like an after though to me, or that the two design teams weren't talking to each other about color scheme.

Just MHO.

It would be easy to make an all black version, if others feel the same way.

Panagiotis Raris February 4th, 2013 01:41 PM

agreed with both the softie and fashion comments. looks pink-ish to me.

Mike Beckett February 4th, 2013 03:16 PM

I am assuming it's a branding decision, Rycote's logo being red. Especially as all Rycote's own equipment is a nice, anonymous black colour.

Mark Fry February 21st, 2013 10:13 AM

Colour aside, it looks like a welcome improvement. The VideoMic is a very good mic (for the price) compromised by a clunky, squeaky shock-mount. I agree that a Softie or Mini-screen to fit the VideoMic would be a great next-step too. Rode's "dead cat" furry cover is not much use except in the lightest of breezes.

I already own a VideoMic and so do many of my friends. What we'd like to see is the mount sold on its own so we can rehabilitate mics that are currently under-employed. I can't get to BVE in London next week, but perhaps someone who does go could enquire of Rycote and/or Rode whether this is likely?

Andy Wilkinson February 21st, 2013 11:25 AM

Mark,

Slightly off topic but you can mount a Rode VM and VMP "body" (sans their cradles) in a Rycote Invision Video mount and get a superior suspension that way. Rycote have pictures of these set-ups somewhere on the web. I've seen them on this forum in the past (and I've done it myself as I own all the parts of the jigsaw). A quick search should pull the relevant posts/pictures up - hopefully!

I'm hoping to get to BVE next week - if I get time I'll ask.

Sabyasachi Patra February 21st, 2013 01:06 PM

Incredible colours. :D Is it targeted at women and kids?

Mark Fry February 21st, 2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1780280)
Mark,

Slightly off topic but you can mount a Rode VM and VMP "body" (sans their cradles) in a Rycote Invision Video mount and get a superior suspension that way. Rycote have pictures of these set-ups somewhere on the web. I've seen them on this forum in the past (and I've done it myself as I own all the parts of the jigsaw). A quick search should pull the relevant posts/pictures up - hopefully!

I'm hoping to get to BVE next week - if I get time I'll ask.

Good point, Andy. The "in-vision" might actually be a better bet as it's pretty versatile, not limited to just one type of mic. I've seen the old Senn MKE300 in one of those mounts, but not a Rode VM. I'll have a scout around and see what I come up with.

Mark Fry February 28th, 2013 11:19 AM

I sent Rycote an e-mail via their web site. They replied that the new VM mount is a Rode product made under license in Aus, so they won't be selling it themselves. They passed the query on to Rode, who say they have no plans at present to offer the lyre shock-mount as a retro-fit.

Rycote also mentioned that the distance between the mic barrel and the "legs" of the lyre is not quite enough to fit a Mini-screen or Softie, so the only option is the Wind-jammer furry cover. This is a bit of a shame. The VM has lots of bass response and is quite "hot", so really needs good wind protection, especially if you are using it with ALC, which many owners do, at least some of the time. I know there's a low-cut filter, but that's only part of the solution.

Thinking about the Invision shock mount: the trick will be holding the VM battery compartment at 45 degrees, so that the interference slots are correctly aligned, otherwise the off-axis rejection from either side will be compromised. How easy is that, I wonder?