DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Shane Hurlbut ASC conducting “The Ultimate Camera Test” (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/514132-shane-hurlbut-asc-conducting-ultimate-camera-test.html)

Ted Ramasola February 7th, 2013 02:55 AM

Shane Hurlbut ASC conducting “The Ultimate Camera Test”

Shane Hurlbut ASC, is putting together a test/shootout.

The cameras are:
Sony F65
Sony F5
Arri Alexa
Red Epic
Canon 1DC
Canon C500
Black Magic
GoPro Hero 3
35mm Film

Exciting to watch how this shootout comes out. They said they will start posting results from the black magic camera first in the coming weeks.

Link to his blog:

Digital Cinematography vs Film: Tides are Turning | Hurlbut Visuals

Love the shot of the GoPro mounted on a oconnor head! LOL!

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/w...3/02/1lHWF.jpg

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/w...02/MG_8794.jpg

Images from Shane Hulbut blog (Hurlblog)

Michael Kraus February 7th, 2013 08:36 AM

Re: Shane Hurlbut ASC conducting “The Ultimate Camera Test”

HAHA that go pro shot is hilarious. This should prove interesting at the least and hopefully informative.

Chris Luker February 7th, 2013 10:21 PM

This look cool!
I hope he doesn't just go for the Canon cameras.
He seemed very biased at NAB last year.

Dave Allen February 7th, 2013 10:52 PM

No Sony F700?!

Adrian Frearson February 8th, 2013 02:40 AM

Should be interesting, not sure about the "ultimate " part, lol. Seems he was out to select cameras for this one film and going on what he's written in this piece, I would make a wild guess at..

Sony F5/Red Epic
Canon C500
Canon 1DC

Should be a good read when he publishes it and will no doubt cause the inevitable barrage of complaints from some camera owners.

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2013 08:24 AM

As Adam Wilt often points out, "no good deed goes unpunished" ...unfortunately.

Shaun Roemich February 8th, 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Frearson (Post 1777934)
Should be a good read when he publishes it and will no doubt cause the inevitable barrage of complaints from some camera owners.

Thankfully, Mister Hurlbut is USED to "barrages of complaints", as an on-set audio recording a few years ago made us aware.

Murray Christian February 8th, 2013 11:25 AM

He may soon discover to his horror that Christian Bale is 5D3 man
"HUUUURLBUUUUUUUT!!! You and me are Done, Camera wise!"

It is the usual weird grab bag of cameras we've come to expect from these. Most of them kinda make some sense. But they're just throwing the GoPro on there for giggles, surely. What, no Ipad this time?
If it wasn't for that it's obviously a high end collection and leaving off the C300, FS700 etc is logical.
When is somoene going to chuck an Ikonoskopp on one of these things?

Charles Papert February 8th, 2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1777977)
As Adam Wilt often points out, "no good deed goes unpunished" ...unfortunately.

Or: "no good test goes unpublished".

Bob Hart February 8th, 2013 12:38 PM

Has the SI2K become a feather duster so quickly ?? It has been missing from a few tests of late.

Noah Yuan-Vogel February 8th, 2013 05:19 PM

Quickly? the SI-2k probably isnt in recent tests for the same reason people aren't still testing the RED One M or the Sony F23 or the ARRI D-20 (all released in 2006-2007)... On the other hand SI-2K had more staying power due to its uniquely small size and ability to benefit from advances in standard computer hardware. But it won't be winning any tests for image quality with its 2/3" imager, ISO250 sensitivity, and 11-stops of DR :)

Bob Hart February 9th, 2013 01:14 AM

Noah. I pretty much guessed that would be the reason. Like with RED M and MX, there was a sensor revision but the basic recording tech remains Windows XP. That in itself not be such a bad thing.

I would have been interested in how it and the Blackmagic camera compared in realworld terms.

We are luddites out here and still using the second generation full P+S body which some do not like because of its bulk and weight. It has been reliable and is quicker to build once it is where it needs to be. It starts. It stops. It makes pictures. The two here have not ambushed either of us locals away from home thus far touch wood.

I would have liked P+S to have built a 3D version using the i7 military grade split motherboard from their german supplier, a new backpane with two Lemo LAN sockets and a dumb Mini body with relay Lemo sockets on the sides and a side-by-side rail or mirror rig mounted on it. Such an arrangement would rig and de-rig in seconds but with the modern developments, that horserace has long left the gates.

Dennis Hingsberg February 10th, 2013 10:47 AM

Why F5 but no F55? F55 has global shutter & wide color gamut... would be great to see.

Karl Eklund February 13th, 2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg (Post 1778337)
Why F5 but no F55? F55 has global shutter & wide color gamut... would be great to see.

I would think that F55 is to similar to the F65, and since F65 is in there already with global shutter, etc. it wouldn't matter, I mean, F65 shows the color gamut and global shutter capabilities, the F5 shows sensors dynamic range, etc. then you can imagine the F55 in the middle...

I haven't really checked their sensors, etc. to see what the real difference is (seems like F55 is just the F5 but with better output and global shutter), but my bet is that most people rather see F5 and F65, than F55 and F65.

Jim Martin February 13th, 2013 11:38 AM

And I suspect, Shane is more interested in cameras that he would use in the work he does.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com