Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8 now shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 21st, 2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8 now shipping

Many people will say version 8 comes a day late and a buck short -- arriving late on the heels of new products from Pinnacle/Avid, Adobe, and Canopus -- but its built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 Creator, SmartSound integration, and HDV Smart Proxy editing could give it quite a push. For details, see www.ulead.com.

With MSP 6/7 owning such a small portion of the low-end pro/pre-pro NLE market, I can't imagine there are that many people waiting for an upgrade. It seems to always be a mixed bag with MSPro. Two years ago, Charlie White and others in the technology press praised MediaStudio Pro 7, but I've had a love/hate relationship with it; when it works, it works great, but it's been relatively unstable on a brand-new editing PC that exceeds the recommeded specs. Internet message boards are full of bug reports, so now I wonder if enough people care about this app to give it a chance in the marketplace. I suppose Ulead's hope is that all those VideoStudio users will eventually outgrow it and adopt MSPro. I'm curious to see what the sub-$700 NLE market will look like a year from now. Seems Premiere and Vegas are the leading NLEs now. What are your thoughts? Is Ulead too late for the race?

I'm ready to adopt a new NLE. I'm leaning toward Avid Xpress DV for a few reasons: (1) easy upgrade path to HD/HDV editing through Xpress Pro HD, and (2) professional street cred; I'm surprised by how many people -- especially recent college grads -- ask me if I edit on an Avid. I am pursuing a career in post, so knowing the Avid workflow and interface can only help.

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Too late for me

It's about a year overdue. I was a confirmed MSP7 user whilst most people around me used premiere. I just can't get on with premiere which is why I leant towards MSP. However, there were a number of features that just weren't there and audio wise I found I was building my audio tracks in cubase as MSP just didn't have the tools.

Too long without an upgrade. I looked at Vegas about 6 months ago and decided to go with that. I have never looked back. I find that the workflow in vegas is faster and packed with better features.

All these things are subjective, but I did feel that Ulead had left it's userbase out in the cold as far as uddates go. In my opinion, Vegas wins hands down, and I know I've only scratched the surface!
Declan Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News