New Canon XA25, XA20 and HF G30 camcorders - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #181
Regular Crew

Re: New Canon XA25, XA20 and HF G30 camcorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cowan View Post
The AF face detect mechanism struggled to stay on the face of the presenter who was pretty much static and well lit at the time. When we looked at the footage in FCP at 100%, it was difficult to say where the focus was but it certainly wasn't the subjects face.
How weird - like Jeff, my experience with the XA20 has been the total opposite. The Auto Face tracking works like a charm even in some pretty poor lighting situations.

My only thought would be that I noticed the auto-focus was very slow on the low-bitrate 25fps mp4 recording settings, so I wonder if you had the cam on a less-than-optimal setting?

Regards,
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #182
Regular Crew

For those testing the autofocus, how does it perform with the subject moving? Specifically with the subject moving across being followed by a camera pan, and with the subject moving directly toward or away from the camera.

Has anyone used it to record actual people in low light yet? I'm curious how it would hold up in a dark reception venue. On paper, this is looking to be a good second angle cam for weddings. At this price, I hope it is.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #183
New Boot

Thanks Jeff for the help. You're quite right, my statement about selling my HPX174 because of its bulky tele-converter and to then talk about a cam with a 10x zoom doesnt make any sense at all.

Sounds like apart from the white balance probem you're reasonably happy with the xa20. How have you found image quality generally? Although good low light performance is obviously a great plus, most of my important shooting is in good outdoor lighting and thats where I want the best image qualilty.

Availability in South Africa is expected in July, so hopefully we will see stock in Cape Town fairly soon. I have in fact placed an order.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #184
Inner Circle

I suspect you'll be happy Neil. Image quality is very good, in my opinion.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #185
Regular Crew

Can anyone who has received the XA-20 and used it comment on the improvements of the image stabilization over the XA-10, that is another strong consideration that I want to have before i make the upgrade.

Thank You
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #186
Tourist

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input on this. All of our tests so far have been at the highest bit rate settings in either MP4 (35mb) or AVCHD 50p.

It may well be that we have a faulty unit. Our XA10 had to go back to Canon because there were issues with how Final Cut read the files. Canon fixed it with a firmware upgrade and all was correct after that. So I am a little sceptical about "First Batch New Cameras"

As for the CMOS rolling shutter issue. This "Jello" effect is exaggerated when CMOS cameras are subjected to vibration, hence my comment about the IS system not helping in the XA25.

We also carried out some further tests today, working with the files in Final Cut Pro 7 ( our preferred NLE)
It appears that the Log & Transfer tool in FCP7 does not recognise the new high res AVCHD files produced on this camera. In fact it will only recognise the 50i stuff thus making the new AVCHD 50p codec redundant on this camera for all those out there working with Final Cut Pro 6/7

Work in progress !
Martin Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #187
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cowan View Post
Hi Dave,

It appears that the Log & Transfer tool in FCP7 does not recognise the new high res AVCHD files produced on this camera. In fact it will only recognise the 50i stuff thus making the new AVCHD 50p codec redundant on this camera for all those out there working with Final Cut Pro 6/7

Work in progress !
I believe that FCPX will recognize the files and then you could convert to ProRes for use in FCP6/7. I am all PC so this info is only from a friend who has used this approach with Sony files which are the same 28Mbps LPCM audio.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #188
Tourist

Just unpacked my XA20 and handle unit.

One observation: even though the batteries are different between my G10 and the XA20, the charger charges all sets of batteries. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a BP-828 battery when I picked up the camera, and the staff informed me that it could be charged using the same charger used with the XA10/G10 etc. (Model number is CG-800D in Japan.) Battery is happily charging as I write.

Can't wait to get started with it.
Dan Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #189
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I suspect you'll be happy Neil. Image quality is very good, in my opinion.
Thanks Jeff, looking forward to getting mine. Cape Town supplier says SA is only likely to get stock towards end July, so I'll just have to be patient. Lots to learn from you guys here and the manual in the meantime.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #190
Regular Crew

Four deeply, deeply annoying things about the ought-to-be-wonderful WiFi / FTP functions:-

1) You only have the choice of a) Transmit All files on card or b) Transmit All 'new' files (those you have not already FTPd). In most cases I'd contend those options will be equal and in both cases I contend it's precisely not what you want. I need to be able to select specific files and send those, just as I can with viewing files for playback or deletion.

As implemented, my workaround is a) film to Card A only. b) Wipe Card B. c) Copy required files from Card A to Card B. d) Use either FTP option to send back what's now on Card B.

This is very tedious and frustrates the point of a fast-turnaround FTP send for newsgathering purposes.

2) Although you can configure 5 WiFi access points, you can only configure 1 FTP server. As I have different servers depending on what job I'm on, this is frustrating. I'd like 5 FTP server options too, please.

3) The progress bar on the FTP transfer has, on my tests, gone simply from 'none' to 'done' in one instant, which means all the while it's transferring my file it looks like it's stuck ... then suddenly it's done. This is rather disconcerting when sending stuff in the field - you need a moving indicator that suggests data transfer is actually underway, for confidence.

4) Despite asking you what directory you want the FTPd files put into on the remote server, Canon has seen fit to assume you actually want them put in a dated subdirectory of your chosen directory (Canon, if I wanted that, I'd have specified that!). This causes me a problem because we have a file-import utility 'watching' a specific directory on our FTP server for any incoming files, and then converts and moves them onto our Avid system. Because the XA20 insists on putting the files in a subdirectory, our watch utility doesn't pick them up so I have to phone back to base and get it done manually.

Actually there's a 5th, more minor, point. For speed, I'd like the first option in the playback MENU screen to be WiFi so I can get to it without scroll-and-press. At the moment the first option is Data-Code.

Canon, are you reading this? These are all things that could be fixed with minor software upgrade and I'd be really, really happy to provide input to this kind of improvement!!

Cheers
Dave
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #191
Regular Crew

B&H now showing the XA20 in stock. I'm excited to see some more reviews/footage.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #192
Inner Circle

Dave, others must be rankled about those points you listed ^ .. suggest you send them all off to Canon.
They might offer to include you on their list of beta testers.

Canon UK - Support

Cheers.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #193
Regular Crew

I would but I don't think Canon UK's support team will be talking to me at the moment after I sent them a very angry email after they'd told me the old-style batteries would "definitely" be compatible with the XA20 which of course they aren't.

(And, when I first wrote to tell them their advice was wrong they replied - clearly without reading down the original support ticket - "we don't know which camera you have but here's our compatibility list" despite me having made it clear from the outset I was considering the XA20. This kind of hopeless support really winds me up)

Anyone got Canon USA's support email address instead...?!

Regards
Dave
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #194
Inner Circle

Take your pick >> Canon Global : Support .. tho I'd go direct to the source in Japan with this.

For any complaints about camera features always start with, 'My many professional industry friends and I, are horrified to find .. etc etc.

Cheers.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #195
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=David Johns;1804174]I would but I don't think Canon UK's support team will be talking to me at the moment after I sent them a very angry email after they'd told me the old-style batteries would "definitely" be compatible with the XA20 which of course they aren't.

Agreed Canon UK got this wrong, I'm the first to research everything to the last detail, but I convinced myself that the BP-819 would fit as most of the main UK dealers ran an offer during May for a free BP-819 with the XA20/25 with pre-orders!
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News