MoVI BTS Stabiliser Rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

MoVI BTS Stabiliser Rig

I looked in the Stabilsers/Steadicam section but did not see this MoVI BTS mentioned yet. More info is coming in all the time and no doubt we'll see them on demo at NAB - or at least those of you going will.

Looks REALLY amazing, incredible potential. Two different versions available - not cheap though! Vincent is a well respected guy and this looks like it'll take off like a storm.

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: MoVI BTS Stabiliser Rig

That is totally bad a**!

The price of $15k will make it a challenge to acquire for most.

Last edited by Chris Medico; April 5th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Chris Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, I think for $15,000 (a smaller $7,500 one is coming later apparently) it will not become a widely used tool or one that many of us would own - I certainly can't afford that right now. Could do well in the rental market until the pricing becomes more accessible.

I hope for their sake the design team have good patents in place. Clones/knock offs will no doubt appear quickly and at much more accessible price points if they have not - and maybe even if they have in some countries. The BTS film has some terrific shots in it that we all know would be difficult or outright impossible with current steadicam set-ups (a Canon C100 on a Steadicam Merlin is my current rig - still working on perfecting my technique for that).

Also, this MoVI looks (and I stress looks) like it would be fairly straightforward to operate without in-depth training/skill development. However, we've seen experts make things look really easy before - many times, especially in the steadicam arena - so I'll reserve final judgement on that.

It looks an amazing product in terms of the shot flexibility it brings to our craft. $15K will prevent it from being game changing for most of us though. But if you've got the budget...well you'll definitely be wanting one - won't you!!!!
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I could see where it won't fit everyone's budget. I have more invested in steadicam gear than the estimated price of $15k so affordability is indeed relative.

Many of the shots I do with a steadicam could be done with this. The only issue I see for my uses is weight capacity. I can carry a lot more weight on the steadicam for longer but there are places like that spiral staircase where using a full sized steadicam is challenging.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks a bunch for posting this Andy. I meant to do it myself but there's just too much going on at my desk right now -- plus getting ready to leave for the show. This thing looks really cool and we might have to add a new sub-category for it under camera supports... I don't know what existing classification it would fit under anyway. It's more than a stabilizer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Many of the shots I do with a steadicam could be done with this. The only issue I see for my uses is weight capacity. I can carry a lot more weight on the steadicam for longer but there are places like that spiral staircase where using a full sized steadicam is challenging.
This was my reaction too. Some of those low to high shots they have in the BTS are going to do a number on your wrist & arm. 2-3 takes will be nothing. 30 takes & you'll need some ice & pain reliever.

I kind of think the Steadicam system is like a shoulder mounted camera (Betacam) & the Movi is like a handheld palm camera (EX1). Each have their advantages & disadvantages. But you can hold more weight for longer if you're using more of your body instead of just your arm.

I would be curious if you could mount a Movi onto a Steadicam arm.

---

I think the most amazing thing about this is the ease of use. If it really doesn't take much practice to fly, then that is a major advantage over a Steadicam system for your average shooter (but bad news for dedicated Steadicam ops looking for work).
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Just combining it with an Easy Rig sort of thing would probably do the trick. They're not too expensive, depending on who you ask. (although not much cheaper than the lighter Steadicam vests).

I like how they started the short with a helicopter shot as it seems to be a smaller scale version of those mounts.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Major Player

And you know the Chinese knock off version is only 3 to 6 months away! LOL! Very good job by the developer of this device. Much needed for so many applications! Bravo!!!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I think it really depends on the camera you plan to use. I could see running around with a dSLR for a bit but to try and fly my F3 would require some kind of a vest and arm setup.

On the plus side the rig would allow the person holding the camera itself to concentrate on camera position and less on framing. That could improve personnel safety for sure.

It would allow for simpler support setups to be used. This still won't be a low budget indie cheap option.

It is very exciting to see and with any luck if the market is large enough we could see the costs drop down to a more broadly affordable level.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You need two operators for the moves and a 3rd for focus, so this won't be a low-budget, solo shooter solution. That said, it looks really easy to operate, compared to a Steadicam. And that makes it a really nice rental piece...

Unless you're skilled, you need to "rent" an operator with your Steadicam. The MoVI looks like it could be operated by most anybody who can use a tripod and a rig.

That said, the moves didn't look quite as fluid as often delivered from a Steadicam. (Watch the background, not the subject.) But the moves looked "good enough" and much better than one can do handheld.

Can't wait to see it at NAB!
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, matching pan and tilt with movement is probably going to be a bit tricky in more complicated shots/reframes. I wager that's where some twitch is going to come from. With a Steadicam you get that with a single person and there's not that disconnect.

There's probably people who are good with remote camera systems who mightn't have much trouble, but I can imagine it tripping up some people (me).
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Trustee

it's still just a large, hand held, stabilized rc heli gimbal, that needs dedicated op if you want pan or tilt;
DSLR version - maybe $4K, but 7,5 or 15?
no, i'll probably wait for chinese version, it'll be for sure cheaper and lately i even noticed that sometimes their knock offs better and improved originals.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #13
Regular Crew

How loud are the servos? Dialog possible? Anyone seen the VOD extras?
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #14
Trustee

the guy from the demo video says it's silent, you can only hear FF motor
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Major Player

Wow this looks amazing but as already said well out of my price range.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News