New Panasonic Varicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Space Hipster

New Panasonic Varicam

Panasonic released their 3rd Gen. Varicam at NAB:

For Journalists
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Panasonic Varicam

As someone that worked in local news, I highly doubt any local news journalists will ever get this camera.

Hell, it seems like in this day & age you're lucky if you a HPX300, I'm pretty sure this Varicam is going to cost about 6x as much as a HPX300.

Still looks cool & will probably be a great workhorse for people doing high end EFP work.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Space Hipster

It's definitely not meant for local news. None of the Varicams are.
Local news is HPX370s, 250, etc. Also the new HPX600, if a news station has leftover 2/3" lenses and batteries.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Finally, a Class200 1080p60 camera. This shows Panasonic has inititive to start off 1080p60 broadcast. Though, anyone think 4K 60p will be what everyone would be choosing as the next broadcast format?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Though, anyone think 4K 60p will be what everyone would be choosing as the next broadcast format?
In a word, no. In a few more words not unless the marketing is better than the reality of 4k in the home. Some good analysis and links here-

Prolost - Blog - 4K in theHome
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
............. to start off 1080p60 broadcast. Though, anyone think 4K 60p will be what everyone would be choosing as the next broadcast format?
Will 4k 60p be the next broadcast format?

Good question. What I'd say is that either it will - or broadcasters will just stay with 25/30p or i. I don't see a move to 1080p/60.

Reason is similar to past format changes. You're effectively making all the existing consumer equipment base obsolete overnight, and there inevitably has to be a process of simulcasting until it's deemed acceptable to turn off the older transmission standard. In the UK, 405 line transmissions continued for nearly 20 years beyond the introduction of 625 line TV!

For that reason, it makes sense that any new broadcast format change is well worthwhile, incremental upgrades are pointless. In this case, it argues strongly for going the whole way - 4k 60p, or maybe even higher framerates. A move to 1080p/60 would give all the hassle, but not give the full benefits that 4k would offer.

Yes, it may be true that it's unfortunate that 1080p/50(60) wasn't part of the previously agreed standard - but unfortunately it's not. It's unfortunate that all existing HD broadcast receivers won't just automatically decode 1080p/50(60) signals - but they won't. If anyone wants to broadcast 4k 60p or 1080p/60, their viewers have to buy new receivers.

That is transmission. Acquisition is something else. Even when all transmission was SD, there was some HD production going on. Benefits were future-proofing for some programming - and it gave very good down-converted SD in the meantime. I see similar situations happening again, but in that case it makes far more sense to future proof in 4k, not just go to 1080p/60. The latter still won't be transmittable with current systems without downconversion - but won't be seen as future-proof as 4k is. It falls between stools in the current broadcast world.

The new Varicam is impressive in some respects - but just leaves me feeling it's 2-3 years behind when it should have been released. Compared to the rest of the market (such as Red, Sony, Canon), I'm just amazed that Panasonic still don't seem to have a decent large sensor video camera, and/or no 4k. That's what seems to bringing the money in at the moment. Or have I missed a NAB announcement?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Trustee

Looks very nice but as my new local TV service is going to be std def my 301 and 371 will still be valid for a few more years yet!

Looks like the new sony PMW-400 will be the HD news camera to go for if the price is right.

I will be interested in the P2 micro SD card adaptor though and if you can do std def or AVC Intra 50 to low cost SD cards it solves a lot of data wrangling problems as per the SXS adaptors for sony.

Or will they not be compatible with older cameras such as the 301 and 371?
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Space Hipster

The HPX371 will take the micro P2 cards.

As far as Panny "missing the boat" - I made a thread about this subject on another website While Sony, RED, Canon and now BM are introducing new large sensor cams, some with 4K, Panny only releases 2/3" shoulder cams. Are they stuck with a disappearing format? Why buy an expensive Varicam when you can buy the Epic or F55 for near the same price?
I don't know the answer, as I am not in the market for any of these high-priced cams. But there are circumstances where I can see a 2/3" cam being the better tool for a job.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Glem but what I want to know is if the P2 SD card adaptor will allow users to put low cost SD/HD cards in a P2 slot and allow DVCPro or AVC Intra 50 shooting as people have been doing with the SXS system on sony for a few years.

It's basically a cost factor so if doing news I can hand over a $20 card to the journo rather than a P2 or micro P2 card.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Space Hipster

Good question, Gary. I asked that question in another website and still don't have an answer. My guess is, for Intra 50, yes. The adapters can take SD cards, but Panasonic doesn't guarantee their performance.
But I think SD cards can handle the lower bitrate Intra 50.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm sure it's a nice camera, but where are Panasonic going elsewhere?

I remember when Panasonic was the company to watch, but here goes another NAB with Canon, Sony and to a lesser extent JVC, riding off into the sunset for Japan.

Where's the mighty micro 4/3 af100 replacement many of us expected?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
New Boot

This is a great equipment. It is designed to capture feature films, television episodics as well as commercials. The AJ-HPX3700 is Panasonic's new workhorse camera producing uncompromising cinematic image quality with the exceptional reliability and faster workflow of solid-state P2 HD.
Andrew James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News