The end of Panavision? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Space Hipster

The end of Panavision?

Panavision Sued Over Unpaid Loans

I didn't realize how bad things have been for Panavision. There's a possibility Panavison can be broken up and sold by its creditors.
It looks like digital film has really taken its toll.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The end of Panavision?

I used to drive by the Panavision offices in Woodland Hills all the time, now it's an apartment complex (they just moved around the block).

Any chances of Black Magic or RED buying Panavision?
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Panavision is rental company, all the cameras and lenses they manufactured were for rent. A lot of their income would be from renting kit to TV dramas. They've probably over extended themselves internationally in recent years and the shelve life of a digital cinema camera is a lot less than a film camera, so making it more difficult to make a return from their own designs with just rental income.

Their rental fleet has the usual range of Alexa, Red and Sony large sensor and 2/3" cameras, plus the film cameras. There's a lot more competition in the rental market, with companies that traditionally serviced the broadcast market now having large sensor digital cameras in their rental fleet.

Another article: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...default-563573

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 7th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a feeling the poster that mentioned the short life cycle of digital cinema cameras vs 35mm film cameras has hit the nail on the head.

Panavision was known for the custom rental packages of equipment that only could be sourced from them for the most part.

Now that other brand names are the leaders in digital cinema I am sure it was difficult for them to adjust to competing as a rental company with competitors who pretty much could offer everything they did.

What a historic name. ARRI or Red would be smart to try and buy the name if the company is broken up and assets sold.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
What a historic name. ARRI or Red would be smart to try and buy the name if the company is broken up and assets sold.
That's actually a pretty good idea.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Picking up the R&D from their 70mm digital cam would make sense for RED, but who would want to pick up their lenses? Zeiss? Surely not Canon. Unless Nikon wants to make a power move into the cinema lens market....
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Panavision isn't just about camera rental, they own a lighting company (Panalux) and Lee Filters. Panavision lenses aren't mass produced, but can be based on glass from various manufacturers and ELCAN have been involved in Panavision's Primo lenses.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Wrangler

I recommend anyone who is truly interested in camera technology and history to make a stop by the Panavision facility in Woodland Hills and ask for a tour. While the facility has scaled down a bit from the previous building, it's still impressive (probably the largest prep floor out there, for instance). Visit their complimentary espresso bar and sip a latte while examing a museum lineup of their cameras including the venerable PSR and original Panaflex (the one used on Steven Spielberg's first feature) up to their last great film camera, the XL2. Against the other wall, the much shorter lineup of digital cameras include the Panavised F900 as used on Phantom Menace and the camera that pioneered the Super35 format for digital, the Genesis. A real curiousity is the Panacam, an early attempt at a video cinematography camera from the 80's (with optical viewfinder!). They also have an amazing gallery of George Hurrell prints from the "golden age" of Hollywood on the walls.

I personally think Panavision will pull through this, and while it's been a few years since I've worked with their gear, I spent some 12 years almost exclusively with it and I always admired it.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I remember the first time I was on a feature film set in a studio and they were shooting with a Panavision PSR.

Some great car stuff in "The Sugerland Express", they made full use the Panaflex. Many of the accessories we use today on all types of camera were developed by Panavision..

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 13th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I once even had a panavized HVX200 for a production from them - but it was not much more than the Panavision sticker/engraving and a gear on the lens.

And I think that's part of the problem, there is not much they can do with modern video cameras, that sets them apart.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The Panavision F900 was rather different to the standard Sony version. It used Primo lenses, a different body and a full range of accessories.

It's the accessory system that make the Panavised cameras different. It's something they can do to a RED or an Arri Alexa, but not really worthwhile for most prosumer video cameras. Most broadcast video cameras I rented from Panavison were the same as from other rental companies.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 13th, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
I once even had a panavized HVX200 for a production from them
SWEET!

Quote:
but it was not much more than the Panavision sticker/engraving and a gear on the lens.
Oh...
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's a Panavized F55, slightly more than a label.

Panavized F55 | Film and Digital Times
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News