Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Re: Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
To move to 4K required a new codec for Sony. Mpeg2 can't do 4K, H264 didn't have a standard 4K profile until very recently. So Sony needed to come up with a new codec which they did in XAVC. XAVC has a large degree of future proofing. It can do almost any frame rate, it can be I frame or long GoP, it can adjust it's encoding structure on a frame by frame basis and include that information about how the frame was encoded in the metadata so the decoder adjusts correspondingly.

But 4K requires you to record 4x as much data as HD for a similar quality image. The bigger you make an image when you show it, the more important it is to keep artefacts to a minimum. As 4K is aimed at big screens, artefacts that might have been tolerable in HD may be objectionable on a big 4K screen. So, if you want to play in the 4K swimming pool your going to have to be prepared to drown in the 4K data. To put things into some perspective, when the EX1 was launched an 8GB SxS card cost $800 and held 22 mins. A 64GB T series XQD card costs $350 and will hold up to 25mins of 4K 25/30P XAVC (approx 250Mb/s - 300Mb/s).
Any idea if when this camera gets the XAVC-S update, will it record 1080p60 (50Mbps I think I read somewhere) at 4:2:2 10bit? Or will it drop it down to 4:2:0 8bit?
James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #137
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
At least for the FDR-AX1 that I am interested in is now on the Canada Sony site . There is however a lens spec difference I have seen repeated before though this time it is in the same document !!!! The features info states lens as 31.5 to 630, the spec section says 29.5 to 590 (this is the spec for the NX5U ) !!

Cannot find any info for the PXW-Z100 on the site yet.

Ron Evans
Tthe 31.5 lens spec is with Quad HD, which crops to get the smaller Quad HD width, the wider 29.5 spec (30 in some literature) is with full 4K width.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #138
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
To move to 4K required a new codec for Sony. Mpeg2 can't do 4K, H264 didn't have a standard 4K profile until very recently. So Sony needed to come up with a new codec which they did in XAVC. XAVC has a large degree of future proofing. It can do almost any frame rate, it can be I frame or long GoP, it can adjust it's encoding structure on a frame by frame basis and include that information about how the frame was encoded in the metadata so the decoder adjusts correspondingly.

But 4K requires you to record 4x as much data as HD for a similar quality image. The bigger you make an image when you show it, the more important it is to keep artefacts to a minimum. As 4K is aimed at big screens, artefacts that might have been tolerable in HD may be objectionable on a big 4K screen. So, if you want to play in the 4K swimming pool your going to have to be prepared to drown in the 4K data. To put things into some perspective, when the EX1 was launched an 8GB SxS card cost $800 and held 22 mins. A 64GB T series XQD card costs $350 and will hold up to 25mins of 4K 25/30P XAVC (approx 250Mb/s - 300Mb/s).
New low cost N Series cards are coming. Check the link below

Sony Updates XQD Cards for 4K Video Capture Speeds

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #139
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hobert View Post
Any idea if when this camera gets the XAVC-S update, will it record 1080p60 (50Mbps I think I read somewhere) at 4:2:2 10bit? Or will it drop it down to 4:2:0 8bit?
My info is that the 1080p60pi/50pi/30/25/24 can be recorded in 10 bit 4:2:2 at 50 Mbits in an MXF wrapper and even at 35 Mbits. But this isn't XDCAM, it's still XAVC - there's an 'XDCAM' logo on the Z100's left flank under the 4K, though. Hmmm.

I wondered if the XDCAM was there as a sort of 'interrim format' for compatibility, but if it's an XAVC thing and the compression is coming from LongGOP (like XAVC-S) then I think it's the AVCHD which is being seen as the interrim solution - and that comes 'next year' too.
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #140
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
New low cost N Series cards are coming. Check the link below

Sony Updates XQD Cards for 4K Video Capture Speeds

Rajiv
According to the article, the N cards are only good for the "consumer" FDR-AX1.
But if you update the Z100 with the lower bit rate codec offered next year, perhaps they can be used?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #141
Trustee

There's 3 types of XQD card: N, H and S (Normal, High and Superhigh?)

The N series write at 80 Mbits per second, read at 125 Mbits per second. The H series read and write at 125 Mbits per second, and the S reads and writes at 168 Mbits per second.

So, yes, XAVC-S on the N cards, XAVC on the S cards (and I'm sure there will be others over time).
Old September 10th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #142
Inner Circle

I wonder if the N series would still be within tolerable limits for S&Q on a PMW-200. In any case, cheaper XQD cards means the XDCAM folk would have an easier time moving off of SDHC.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #143
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
According to the article, the N cards are only good for the "consumer" FDR-AX1.
But if you update the Z100 with the lower bit rate codec offered next year, perhaps they can be used?
For those who buy this PXW-Z100 4K camera on experimental basis and are targeting 1080p flavors in XAVC/XAVC-S or XDCAM mpeg-2 (50/60/30/25/24) the N Series card may be sufficient and can buy in plenty. Still they can buy a single S series card experiment with 4K until they are ready to move up to.

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #144
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post

The N series write at 80 Mbits per second, read at 125 Mbits per second. The H series read and write at 125 Mbits per second, and the S reads and writes at 168 Mbits per second.

So, yes, XAVC-S on the N cards, XAVC on the S cards (and I'm sure there will be others over time).
I think you mean MBps not Mbps The 4K XAVCS is 150Mbps so will be no problem for the N series at 80MBps. And should also work for 1920x1080 on the PXW-Z100.

My interest is in the FDR-AX1 because I want the long record times so the 64G cards will be great. I need to record over 2 hours 30 mins so with the included 32G card, 2 x64 cards will do it for me. Wish the AVCHD feature was initially active as that would give a simultaneous record backup. We will have to wait an see what is actually in these cameras when they appear in a few weeks for the FDR-AX1.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #145
Trustee

Uuurgh - yes. I'm trying to tweak the review, edit the video and keep up with 'actual work' and so my CaPiTaLiSaTiOn is going to pot. Mb is not MB by a factor of 8! Hmm, there is such a thing as 'too much' caffeine.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #146
Inner Circle

We understand Matt. Any info you can give us is really appreciated.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #147
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Hmm, there is such a thing as 'too much' caffeine.
Could be the post of the day... mulling this over as I have my coffee.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #148
Regular Crew

Quote:

The new UHS-II SD cards will be even faster with maximum possible write speed up to 312MB/s.
Toshiba announces first UHS-II SD cards as world's fastest: Digital Photography Review

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/9...81c8afd9_o.jpg
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #149
Inner Circle

UHS-II is what MicroP2 is currently using, but that is not cross compatible with SDHC or SDXC.

Capacity and Speed are both needed for 4K, and how not to do it was JVC's 4 SD card solution.

512GB XQD cards are what are going to have to come down the line if 4K and long-length acquisition (like concert video) is going to be viable without endlessly swapping cards.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #150
Inner Circle

I think a useful addition would be a XQD adaptor in the camera to SSD housing for long record times much like the hard drive for the EX family. Even with the FDR-AX1 this may be a better alternative to lots of XQD cards that I would consider.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News