DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   GoPro Hero 3+ Launched (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/519243-gopro-hero-3-launched.html)

Andy Wilkinson October 1st, 2013 02:31 AM

GoPro Hero 3+ Launched

Official announcement on the link below. Seems it's even smaller than the 3, has longer battery life, better optics and wifi capability....

GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

EDIT: Adding GoPros YouTube Demo of the Hero 3+

Noa Put October 1st, 2013 02:41 AM

Re: GoPro Hero 3+ Launched

Smaller, lighter and even more expensive :) a gopro 3 black costs 600 dollar here which is high priced, can only imagine the "+" version will add onto that.

Andy Wilkinson October 1st, 2013 02:44 AM

Yeah we get ripped off/over-taxed for everything in Europe :-(

Apparently the Hero 3+ Black will be $400 (in the US, bar one cent!) according to that announcement - and existing Hero 3 models are taking a price cut.

It's available now so we should see user reports come in pretty fast allowing us to see if the claimed improvements are valid.

Noa Put October 1st, 2013 02:45 AM

That's it, I"m moving...:)

Tim Lewis October 1st, 2013 03:09 AM

I have always been a little vexed about the design of the GoPro. I cannot understand why an "action" camera would be designed to present the largest surface are to the direction of travel (and action) and thereby increase the risk of damage and being knocked out of alignment.

The only time I have seen it make sense was when the Mythbusters taped one onto the front of their bubble wrap raft.

I have not used one myself, so others may like to give me their experiences. At least as they miniaturise these devices, it becomes less of an issue.

Compare and contrast...

Jody Arnott October 1st, 2013 03:20 AM

What, they've made it smaller again? I wish they'd keep it the same size so I don't have to keep buying new accessories.

Not worth the upgrade anyway... not until it can shoot 2.7k at 60fps and 4k at 30fps.

Bernd Eller October 1st, 2013 05:52 AM

The camera is the same size and you can use your Hero3 accessories with the Hero3+ as well. It's only the new waterproof housing that was reduced in size (and depth rating, too: 40m instead of 60m with the "old" housing). Housings are compatible with Hero3 and Hero3+ anyway.

John Wiley October 1st, 2013 06:54 AM

The camera is the same size but the housing is smaller and lighter... so all other accessories stay the same.

I wonder if the smaller housing will available as an extra accessory if you wish to get one for a current Hero 3 camera.

Andy Wilkinson October 1st, 2013 07:30 AM

It's certainly a very ambiguously written press release. In the very first line it states:

"....featuring a 20% smaller and lighter design and 30% better battery life than previous models".

However, what you state John makes sense, especially after such a recent shrink in form factor (from Hero 2 to 3) only 12 months ago. In the detail it does mention the new models fit in a 20% smaller housing:

Direct quote here:

"The HERO3+ Black Edition - The Most Advanced GoPro Camera Yet.

Innovative new housing yields a 20% smaller and lighter overall package when camera is installed in housing (waterproof to 40m)
30% longer battery life
4x faster Wi-Fi for quicker transfer and playback of photos and videos from your HERO3+ camera to your mobile device when using the GoPro App
SuperView is a new video mode that captures the world’s most immersive wide-angle perspective
Auto Low Light mode intelligently adjusts frame rate for varying lighting conditions"
A new lens for sharper video and improved image quality
The HERO3+ Black Edition camera has a suggested retail price of $399.99.

Dmitri Zigany October 1st, 2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1815081)
Yeah we get ripped off/over-taxed for everything in Europe :-(

Remember that US prices are always without sales tax/VAT while European prices are almost always including VAT. However US sales tax is somewhere between 0-10% depending on state while European seems to be in the 19-25% range. So that makes up the bulk of the difference.
But if you have a VAT registered company you can order from other EU countries but your own and not have to pay the VAT.

Andy Wilkinson October 1st, 2013 08:45 AM

Yes I know all that. I worked in the USA for 10 years and I now have a VAT registered UK company.... We still get ripped off though!

For example, todays exchange rate is £1 = $1.62. So a $400 item would be about £247 ex VAT/taxes, so plus UK VAT (currently 20%) = around £296 in total. I'll be very surprised if you can buy it in the UK at that price next week - but lets see what it actually gets listed at... EDIT: Actually, one UK retailer is today offering it at £295 PLUS VAT, so £355.20 in total. See what I mean!

On another point, I just watched that Hero 3+ demo video again. Think I need a change in lifestyle - mine seems quite boring now!!! ;-)

Anyway, back on topic now. If anyone gets their hands on one in the next few days please post some real world test footage.

Peer Landa October 1st, 2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1815086)
Not worth the upgrade anyway... not until it can shoot 2.7k at 60fps and 4k at 30fps.

Yep, that's also my plan -- wait to upgrade until it shoots 4k, (I wager it will be called GoPro Hero 4 ;-)

-- peer

Giroud Francois October 1st, 2013 04:33 PM

you can find the black for as low as 350$ and since the 3+ release it will certainly go lower.
The 3+ has nothing appealing vs the 3, at leat for the price difference.
If the v3 black goes around 300$, all people looking for the silver will choose the V3 black,, and lots of people will hesitate to go the V3+.
So probably the silver will disappear for the V3 black and the V3+ will be a dead end.
People are waiting for the V4 with 4K at 25/30 FPS.
if the new case is available, lots of people will simply purchase it for the V3, since they are same size (despite the misleading announcement, the 20% size reduction is only for the case, both new and old cam are same size).

David Heath October 1st, 2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1815109)
Innovative new housing yields a 20% smaller and lighter overall package when camera is installed in housing (waterproof to 40m)

The Hero 3 was rated to 60m, and I wonder why they've reduced the depth rating?

I've certainly taken mine down to 34m, and I'm qualified to dive to 50m. I doubt I'll ever take one below 40m, but I like the idea of a decent margin of safety - and a 60m rating gives just that, 40m doesn't.

Gordon Hoffman October 2nd, 2013 06:56 AM

It looks like the case is a lot thinner so that could be why the lower depth rating.

Gordon