Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 111 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 26th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #1651
New Boot

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Ok, I did not realize that issue.
The handheld microphone is an interview that has sennheiser feed.
And naturally sennheiser wireless battery operated.
But there is a question to find out,
Why the computer is listening well and not the mobile phone?

thank you very much
Vicent Frases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1652
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicent Frases View Post
Ok, I did not realize that issue.
The handheld microphone is an interview that has sennheiser feed.
And naturally sennheiser wireless battery operated.
But there is a question to find out,
Why the computer is listening well and not the mobile phone?

thank you very much
because the impedance is low and the signal as well , so if you like the microphone then you can get a cable to connect to the AX100 with impedance matching , like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748853-REG/Sescom_SES_TR_153_SES_TR_153_Right_Angled_XLR.html
there are some XLR microphones (that I know of) that don't require phantom power and may work without a cable with impedance matching (just a straight XLR to TSR patch). I remember an elecrtovoice 50 working on a sony FX1 without a special cable for example. But it all depends on the signal and the boost from the internal port of the camera. It is indeed a matter of impedance. Usually mics with 3.5mm connectors give a pretty high signal, so the port on the camera is set to low to don't amplify noise and statics.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #1653
New Boot

Thank you very much for the explanation.
The subject of resolved audio.
By the way, I am very happy with the camera, another issue that concerns me, but I think that it is impossible for the few tests I've done, it is slowing down the image to 50% or 75% in format 4 K 25p, in post-production.
So and will be so in this House, this is not?
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #1654
Inner Circle

You can't slow down 25p well, 25 frames is about the minimum framerate for smooth motion, if you want to slow down 50% you have to shoot at 50p. Because in 4K it's limited to 25p you can choose 1080p 50p for that purpose.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1655
New Boot

Thank you very much for the replies.
The handheld microphone youtube video is a Sennheiser E 855 without feeding.
And we are the ones that we use:
- Sennheiser ew 100 G3 wireless
- And a Rode NTG-2, which is powered by a battery.

As for the 4k 25p a shame, for now recorded XAVC-S HD: 1920x1080/60P
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #1656
Inner Circle

Just want to mention I'm very happy with my AX100s. Dynamic range is wonderful for a camcorder this size. Just shot an outdoor wedding and the footage is really, really nice.

I'm getting hang of adjusting aperture, etc., on the fly, but the wheel is really a pain. Can't find it by feel sometimes and the manual focus button is worthless, can't find it by feel at all. Will probably dedicate a custom button to MF/AF.

Overall these are great cams and I LOVE shooting in 4K. Editing is a bit of a nightmare, two lines of 4K in the same project really bog down my machine. Will probably have to use proxies.
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #1657
Major Player

FWIW I just finished a project with AX100 4K footage in Vegas V13 with no crashes. Upgrading memory from 8GB to 16GB made all the difference. The previews weren't noticeably better but stability was vastly improved even with proxies turned off.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #1658
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
FWIW I just finished a project with AX100 4K footage in Vegas V13 with no crashes. Upgrading memory from 8GB to 16GB made all the difference. The previews weren't noticeably better but stability was vastly improved even with proxies turned off.
Interesting the memory thing for vegas13. I'll do it right away. Thanks.
a note about the AX100 and ND filters: they engage in a brutal manner, so careful when shooting live or for important takes. When you need to engage the ND filters just give 1 second to settle or shoot something not important.
Again the RS of the AX100 in 4K is cute. Really cute. I must learn how to shoot with that cuteness.

But all things considered I'm getting the best footage ever and with any camera that I had before. This AX100 is nothing less than spectacular!
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #1659
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Editing is a bit of a nightmare, two lines of 4K in the same project really bog down my machine. Will probably have to use proxies.
I only use one 4k camera with other 1080p camera's in a multicam so far and then it runs just fine in Edius but as soon as I add a second 4K camera the music stops playing :)
I don't plan to use two 4k camera's in a multi-cam anyway so until my pc is ready for a upgrade, probably end next year, it should be up to speed should I need to use more then one 4K cam in a multicam setup and like you said, I'd convert to canopus own hq avi if there is a need for it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1660
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried using Film Convert with AX100 footage? The AX100 isn't one of the supported camera's so I've been trying the FS700 setting, the color curve is wrong so I disable that but otherwise it seems to work ok but I was wondering if one of the other camera settings works better. For example someone had noticed that an Arri camera setting worked well for the GH4.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #1661
Regular Crew

Ive used the Canon 5d preset and the bmcc if i turn its color way down to 10% or something.
And a good start imo is also turning down the saturation by 15-20%.
Mattias Burling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #1662
Regular Crew

Cool I'll try that. Have you noticed that the AX100's footage is a touch green? I didn't notice it before, but now that I'm toying around with Film Convert I actually can see a slight green cast. I am using led light panels so it could be from that although they are supposed to be 91+ cri with no green tint.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1663
Major Player

Some video I shot at 1280x720 120fps.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #1664
Major Player

Nice Mark. I shoot a lot in 720 120p for the slowmo factor with my AX100. I hope soon most cams will have 1080 120p soon.
Old August 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1665
Regular Crew

Hello everyone!

I was using the Sony FDR AX100 to film a wedding the other day as the B camera. One of my files won't seem to open. It shows up in my finder shows the size of the file and appears to be a normal video file. Only difference is it doesn't seem to have the meta data file and won't show a thumbnail. When I try to open the file nothing plays and if I import into Premiere it causes the program to crash....

I have opened large files off this camera before with no issues so whats up with this one did it get corrupt somehow?

I also contacted sony about this issue and I got no responds =/

Thanks!
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds