Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old January 9th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #91
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Has anybody noticed the AX100 hotshoe? (Sony "Multi Interface Shoe")

The hotshoe cover flips up and out to the left. The shoe has "notches" in the middle of the top blades. This is OK except that the recessed well that it sits in will not allow you to drop in a standard cold shoe video light or accessory. (no room to drop in and slide forward)

Unlike the implementation of the "Multi Interface Shoe" built into Sony Alpha cameras, this one only accepts Sony accessories. (not any other standard shoe plate)

Am I seeing that wrong? If its true, that's certainly a dirty trick.

Looks like you will need a 3rd party "riser/adapter" part.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #92
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rickford View Post
Yes, the KM 1 will plug into the multi shoe on top but you won't be able to mount onto the camera as there is not cold shoe as there is on the VG 30, so you have to use a bracket on the side.
Shame as in all other respects the camera really feels and works like the NX70
The NX70 had a bad power zoom control. I believe this was corrected in later models.
How is the zoom control on the AX100? Most consumer cams have lousy zoom control.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #93
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
The NX70 had a bad power zoom control. I believe this was corrected in later models.
How is the zoom control on the AX100? Most consumer cams have lousy zoom control.
It seemed nice and smooth, nothing like the NX70 which had to work in a different way because of the waterproofing
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Hmmm - that K1M is $800... if you didn't already have one laying around, a NX version with XLR adapter/handle/mic might compare favorably?

I think the motion with 30p is the only reservation I've got (I have my doubts about Sony squeezing 60p out of this generation - that notation that Panasonic had to specially select and tweak memory to get it to work on their 4K GH doesn't look promising from a marketing or usability standpoint...). The ability to crop to HD from 4K is a huge plus. I'm guessing this will mix well with the RX10 and RX100M2 shooting 60p 1080... now to go sell some more stuff that I won't need anymore!

As for that shoe... sounds like the usual Sony thing - an adapter should be cheap enough, I have them for the AiShoes... I think they were under $10...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #95
Space Hipster

This review says the AX100 has a projector built in. What?

Sony Debuts 4K Camcorder That Costs Just $2,000
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #96
Inner Circle

Sony makes an adapter MultiInterface Shoe Adapter - Handycam Accessories Sony Store - Sony CA

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #97
Inner Circle

@ Glen -
Methinks the "reviewer" had one too many at the after party and got the features of the PJ series mixed up with the AX100 - no sign of a projector on THAT LCD, but it supposedly is a 3.5", which will be NICE! Typically Sony utilizes the "PJ" designation on the cams with projectors, and they do have a couple new ones, all with smaller sensors than prior 7xx series cams, if the specs are correct.

I also took a better look at that cover over the shoe in the pix on that site - it is VERY long front to back, so it may well be that a stock cold shoe can be fitted? This of course depending on clearance between the shoe and the outer shell of the camera.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #98
Trustee

Yup. As Dave said, there are a ton of pix out there from all different angles on the AX100 and there is absolutely no projection lens anywhere.

Somehow it would seem out of place on a cam like this.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Has anyone who has viewed this camera at CES looked at how the 120fps slow motion works? This is an advertised feature, yet it's not listed in the frame rate / image size specs.

Specifically, I curious what resolution it uses - full HD, 720p, or something even less??

Is it implemented like "Smooth Slow Record" with just a few seconds of record time (usually 3) before the fast internal buffer has to be dumped to SD card (like high end consumer handy cams, and the NX5, Z5U, etc), or can it shoot this frame rate continuously?

Thanks for any insight that people with hands on can provide...
Juan A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #100
Major Player

Quote:
Specifically, I curious what resolution it uses - full HD, 720p, or something even less??
All the press is saying it's 120fps @ 720p, not sure on the length of time. Here's the official video from Sony that shows the 120 fps @ 720p clearly. Check the 1:10 mark in the video.

I agree it isn't listed in the specs, but again half of what they have probably isn't 100% just yet.

Last edited by Troy Lamont; January 10th, 2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added link
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #101
Inner Circle

Listed on this page but not in the spec sheet. Sony Global - Digital Imaging - FDR-AX100 This is available and in the specs for the AS100V http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-u...?contentsTop=1 Maybe Sony just got the specs mixed up !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #102
Inner Circle

I'd be interested in the implementation of the 120fps as well... I'm pretty sure that it's "in there" in the feature set, but not well documented! Ideally it would be actual full HD, and able to record more than just a few seconds!

The (continuous) high frame rate recording in the Panasonic FZ200 was sort of interesting to play with, I'd like to see the same capability but with the better sensor/lens!
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #103
Trustee

Does anybody know what the maximum aperture of the AX100 lens at full zoom?

I'm trying to read the lens label. I see 2.8 to 9.3. We know it's not a constant aperture.

I really really would love to have the pro version with that RX10 f2.8 constant. (Pretty please Sony?)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #104
Major Player

Seen somewhere that said f4.5.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #105
Major Player

120 @ 1280x720?:

"High-frame-rate shooting at 120p* and HD resolution

The FDR-AX100 supports high-frame-rate shooting at HD image quality (1280 x 720 pixels). Its ability to record at 120p enables slow-motion playback at one-fifth the speed in a 24p environment when post-processing is applied. This capability opens the door to various uses, such as checking the form of rapidly moving athletes.

* Only available when recording movies in the XAVC S format."

I read f2.8 - 9.3 as well. Like Ron & some others I shoot theater as well; (theater school for kids & teens). I'm still a 'pan & scan' guy releasing SD DVD's and I'd love to release HD stuff. This looks like a real possibility.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds