New anamorphic adapter for DSLRs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 13th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Space Hipster

New anamorphic adapter for DSLRs

If you like the look anamorphic lenses can give you, but can't afford the crazy prices, this adapter will help out:

SLR Magic Announces Anamorphic Adapter

It'll give you that Star Trek light flashes look.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: New anamorphic adapter for DSLRs

Interesting that it suggests it works best with lenses under 50mm front thread.
That eliminates every common apsc and bigger DSLR lens I can think of.
Still cheaper than a used la7200 adapter.
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Major Player

As a shameful plug here; if anyone is actually looking for an anamorphic lens for their SLR, I might part with my 1.4/f 50mm Isco/Zeiss. (just one of those obscured lenses I never use ;^)

-- peer
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Major Player

"The “company” of SLR Magic / Noktor (who rebrands lenses), and I used that term “company” loosely must be a few high school buddies who rent a small metal storage shed from the local personal storage company. Some of their web pages do not work, some of their images don’t render. How do you do that?!

Just try calling their tel# if you can find it. I sleuthed 3 #’s for “them”. In 10 months not once have they ever answered the phone, and in the same time, not ever have they actually returned any phone call. Yet their telephone tape machine has this guys voice gushing about how they are swamped with telephone calls and are really busy from all of it. What a crock!

I ordered the 35mm T.95 e-mount from Adorama, who has been falsely advertising it for almost a year. They sent me the 1.4 version and invoiced me for the T.95 version. The 1.4 version felt like there was sand in between the barrels as you rotated the focus. I never was able to test the lens clarity as the clowns at Adorama sent me some bizarre mount not related to a Sony E-mount. They STILL do not have this lens. Why? Because Noktor has vaporware.

Try even e-mailing the company about their 35mm T.95 and see if they even respond to that. Or you can do a followup question on their Facebook page, that way you can see what it is like to be ignored by multiple venues."
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Dave. I have also been researching capabilities for anamorphic acquisition for a Black Magic Cinema Camera I will be purchasing within the month and thus, I came across this post. I generally don't comment in situations like this but in this case I thought perhaps that it was called for. I myself started investigating the options being developed by SLR Magic just this past week...I first discovered threads from the past year where they were asking for input as to what approach to anamorphic image capture would be the most desirable.. (individual lenses? an adaptor? 1:39:1 or Cinemascope, etc).

My correspondence with them has been greatly different than yours. They responded to my emails and in fact, Andrew from the company called me. I have to say that he was extremely helpful and polite on the phone. The call came around lunchtime for me (east coast) but it was 12:30am his time. The call showed as coming from California as they have this set up so it's not an international call for people in the U.S. I should note that he arranged this call with me hours earlier with me, .. when it was 2:30am my time. Thus, it was a normal shift at his work. When he called he was still at work as they are apparently working around the clock to meet the orders placed and they just came back from holiday. (Chinese New Year is a big vacation event there of course)...Still, he spent 35 minutes with me on the phone answering my questions. Obviously this is not the norm for them as they would be closed at night. I'm surprised that he didn't get back to you or perhaps he didn't call at a normal time. Maybe if you send another email with your specific questions they can respond..I'm just saying. .... And, well..it sounds like someone at Adorama made a mistake. I know how it feels to get mishandled...and what it's like to make mistakes also, ..too well. :)
Scott E Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

I would send another email and leave another message even though I have done a combination of both over a dozen times, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

I agree Adorama screwed up, but they themselves admitted they have had problems getting the company to be responsive and were promised repeatedly over a year that Adorama would be receiving the lenses.

Just try calling their phone numbers. It's a joke. I called repeatedly during regular business hours on their time zone. The lens I did receive felt horrible upon barrel rotation, and I would not remotely characterize myself as a fussy afficiondo.

On the various forums there is a lot of scuttelbutt about the company being unresponsive and having poor quality control. I experienced the prior first hand and repeatedly, but only held one roughly rotating lens.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as I sell nothing nor represent anyone or anything, I only buy, and I sure wanted that lens, so I tend to ignore the children throwing sand at each other in the sandbox, but there is no way I would ever try to deal with this company again.

I am glad your experience was positive for you.
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Trustee

not a lot of anamorphic properties from this adapter, well, from any adapter i've seen, letus also makes one, and i don't think they are a lot sharper than LA7200 for example, but if all you need from anamorphic lens is just that light streak - get that Shneider filter , cheap and get's you what you need;
if you after that anamorphic bokeh and don't have $27K per for that gorgeous Cooke, good projector lenses, to my eye, look better than any adapter, a lot more complicated, dual focus and alignment pain, but when you get it right the look is just great!
this is a short test i did with Helios 44M/Kowa 16H, i know it's poor excuse, but i literally had 5 min

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News