FS700 + Odyssey7Q - Major Announcement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 18th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: FS700 + Odyssey7Q - Major Announcement

Is the FS700 physically limited to 60fps at 4K I.e. No higher than that ever?

Great news about the 4K recording though :)

How about 4K compressed - what frame rate will that support shortly and what's the max theoretical?

Thanks.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The 4K120p mode is a buffer mode in-camera it sounds like. It cannot record beyond 4 seconds. It's very likely guaranteed for 60p.

Now, a small thing that would make the 7Q more appealing for the budget conscious is a software switch that will allow any SSD to be inserted, but showing a warning that CD does not test non-approved SSDs and that the owner accepts the risk of losing data. I guess the compressed codecs could have this switch at first, since the data rates are lower.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
Is the FS700 physically limited to 60fps at 4K I.e. No higher than that ever?

Great news about the 4K recording though :)

How about 4K compressed - what frame rate will that support shortly and what's the max theoretical?

Thanks.
Dear Paul,

The FS700 supports a special buffered (cached) 4K Mode which allows one to record full 4K at 120 fps for around 4 seconds, then the 4k footage is dumped out at a slower speed.

I have not asked our team, as they have been exceptionally busy, if they have tested this 4K at 120 fps mode yet.

I believe that we will be able to support this mode, either around the end of February 2014, or later.

But, while this mode does offer 120 fps 4K recording, the 60 fps 4K recording, to an Odyssey7Q is very desirable, as one can shoot 4K Raw until your SSD's fill up, as opposed to having to shoot for 4 seconds, then output the footage. When done one can start the process again.

With an Odyssey7Q (or a Sony R5), one can record 4K at 60 by pressing record on the camera, then stop, then start recording again. In the field, this ability to record and stop, as desired, when desired is very valuable.

Please do not get me wrong, I applaud Sony for including this mode in the FS700, which is very useful when one needs 4K at 120 fps. And remember, 4 seconds of 120 frames per second is 20 seconds of footage when played back at 24 frames per second.

------------------

We expect to be supporting the popular compressed codec, in HD (1920 x 1080), in our next firmware release, at frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30.

We will be working to add higher frames rate, such as 50, 59.94, and 60 fps, just as soon as possible.

This involves going back and optimizing some code slightly to support these higher frame rates. We can actually, support some higher frame rates right now, but we need to optimize it a little more.

-------------------

And, we will be working on another project for an upcoming release.

This includes the ability to record, from the FS700 in 4K to a popular compressed codec in 4K.

Our goal is to have this ready sometime around April 2014. This is a goal, not a promise.

--------------------

This should not be confused with a special mode that will be included in our next firmware release, the one due around the end of February 2014.

This special mode, takes the 4K Raw images from the FS700, processes them, deBayers them to HD, then records them to the popular compressed codec in 4:2:2 YCbCr in 10-Bit.

Please note that this improves the FS700 camera's images in HD (1920 x 1080) as we start with 4K 12-Bit images, as opposed to the 8-Bit images that the FS700 outputs in HD now.

This requires our Odyssey7Q + FS700 Option + a FS700 which supports 4K, in other words an upgraded original FS700 or the FS700H.

We believe that you will be very pleased with these HD images super-sampled from the 4K Raw images.

It won't be long before this capability will be in your hands so you can evaluate the images.

And everything that I mentioned here will be available, for free, for anyone with our Odyssey7Q + our FS700 Option.

Respectfully,
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
The 4K120p mode is a buffer mode in-camera it sounds like. It cannot record beyond 4 seconds. It's very likely guaranteed for 60p.

Now, a small thing that would make the 7Q more appealing for the budget conscious is a software switch that will allow any SSD to be inserted, but showing a warning that CD does not test non-approved SSDs and that the owner accepts the risk of losing data. I guess the compressed codecs could have this switch at first, since the data rates are lower.
Dear Jack,

I will bring your suggested up with our team soon.

Of course you are aware of all of the reasons why we want fully tested, and by this I mean individually tested SSD's used in our gear. This is to ensure reliability.

Jack, the following is for others that may not have seen my previous posts on this subject, and this is just a few of our concerns.

Other SSD's use at least twice as much power and generate twice as much heat.

And low cost SSD's most likely do not have built-in power protection.

And the firmware in an SSD, within a given brand and type of SSD may change over time.

And the subtle characteristics of SSD's are different, thus all may not work with our unit.

Our reputation is harmed when an Odyssey7Q fails, for whatever reason, even if one goes out on a shoot with an untested SSD, and it fails.

And it would cause us pain to say "We are sorry, but no, we can't recovered your important footage".

And our SSD's are priced lower that the same amount of memory using most CompactFlash cards.
And certainly lower using any "Professional Quality" CompactFlash cards.

In fact, our SSD's have the lowest price of any professional media.

But, I will discuss this with our team, and maybe we could try your suggestion to see if it causes problems or not.

Please understand that we can't add this to our next firmware release since would push back the release date.

Also, we took this approach with our nanoFlash, and many people used CompactFlash cards which were not on our qualified list, and were untested, and many problems occurred. And in almost every case, (all that I know of) we tried diligently to recover their data (for free).

Respectfully,
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Please remember you can see the Odyssey 7Q and get in-depth and hands-on with it and it's abilities at the Cascade Mt. Video Show in Portland Oregon on February 26th. For more info about the show head to the website. Production Cameras, Camera Accessories | Portland, OR | Shows
Eric C. Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:53 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quite excited about this announcement. I will certainly be purchasing an Odyssey 7Q at some point soon.

As a wildlife and documentary cameraman, one of the features I miss on the FS700 is pre-record in normal speed shooting. Is there any way this could be enabled on the Odyssey 7Q?
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Jonathan,

Yes, this is in our plans for the future.

Respectfully,
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Jonathan,

Yes, this is in our plans for the future.

Respectfully,
Great news! Thanks Dan! This feature will
Make the FS700 a great wildlife and documentary camera.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:48 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for the detailed info Dan.

You guys are great at communicating via the forums and twitter etc.

Wonder if it would be good to somehow bring this info out onto a 'work in progress' or 'latest updates' page on your site or somewhere else? Often this great info is buried within forum posts that wouldn't be found unless you read every post. Would be particularly good as obviously timescales for releases etc change regularly. One place with all the up to date info would be very useful I think. That way, you also wouldn't need to repeat yourself so much across the forums maybe? Just a thought but as I said, your comms are excellent :)

Thanks.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #25
New Boot

This is good news. I've been shooting the FS700 for over 3 months now and I am very impressed with this small camera. The overall capabilities are fantastic.

The Odyssey 7Q is also a very nice accessory. But since so many pieces are coming out in a rather haphazard manner- I'm yet to see the results of the last month of shooting. I did not receive a physical manual with my 7Q ( rental for one more month) and that is problematic and created some suspense and surprise at times.

In a few more days, I'll be back at the headquarters of our documentary on the life of John James Audubon where the massive downloads will begin.

I've been shooting 3 cameras for both the visual differences as well as capabilities- and the security of having known results on at least the less risky of them. The high speed option on the FS700 even in AVCHD recording is crazy.

I look forward to perfecting my Odyssey setup. The potential is certainly there. The vital means of using it without lugging a car battery or 5 to 10 pound batteries arrived just after I left. So i am looking forward to using Dtap Ptap and I also bought the L-series battery mount. The main feeling I get is that the addition of the 7Q moves the FS700 to a RED level. The design of on screen functions is very well thought out.

Later Next week, I'll post a review of a month with the 7Q and the FS700. I'm cautiously optimistic so far.

Tim Barksdale
Birdman Productions LLC
Timothy R. Barksdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Tim,

Thank you for using our Odyssey7Q.

Our Odyssey7Q manual is on our website:

Odyssey7Q \\ User Manual

This allows us to keep the latest updates available to everyone at a moments notice.

And I provide 24/7 support, every day of the year.

Support | Convergent Design

Please note that my mobile number is the best number to call.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News