Where's the new stuff? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Unregistered Guest

Where's the new stuff?

About two weeks to NAB and hardly anything in the the way of new video cameras. Will Canon, BMD, Sony and others release new camera gear during the NAB show? Usually, someone leaks some info previous to the show. Unless they have absolutely nothing, these companies are being more tight lipped than Apple.
I have a pile of money sitting around just for the purpose of buying a new video camera. Hope they don't disappoint.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Where's the new stuff?

I don't think theres going to be any new architectures or cameras announced like there usually has been. Right now it looks like a lot of the major companies are working toward expanding RAW/4K/extra firmware support on cameras that have been rolled out already.

Sony has their lineup, so does Canon. Nikon isnt stepping into a different form factor yet. Curious what Panasonic is going to do with their 4K Varicam offering they have been teasing for a bit, but we shall see. Dragon is out already, so now its firmware/color revisions from here on out for there too. Curious who else might have something up their sleeve? Has JVC announced anything yet?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Unregistered Guest

I was hoping that Canon would have a replacement for the XF300/305. I know JVC has the GY-HM850U/890U, but as nice as they look on paper, I'm skeptical of JVC and of how they'd actually be.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Trustee

Sony has a Sunday afternoon press conference the day before NAB. I'd bet my life we will see at least 1 or 2 new models announced.

I strongly suspect a "pro" AX100 sister camera with XLR top handle and more features. (Maybe XQD card socket and 100mbps XAVC-S?)

Maybe an FS100 replacement in 4K XAVC-S???

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I want a shoulder mount 4k camera from sony
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Sony has a Sunday afternoon press conference the day before NAB. I'd bet my life we will see at least 1 or 2 new models announced.

I strongly suspect a "pro" AX100 sister camera with XLR top handle and more features. (Maybe XQD card socket and 100mbps XAVC-S?)

Maybe an FS100 replacement in 4K XAVC-S???

CT

If there is a Pro version of the AX100 coming, I'm sure the Sony Pro people are told to not announce it until the AX100 is out, which coincides with the timing of this press conference.
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Space Hipster

I posted in Area 51 of a rumored Sony camcorder for NAB. What it is, if it even exists, I have no idea.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

At the Cascade Mountain show in Portland, Panasonic focused on features in their new cameras that enable a flexible workflow that can cover 4K, HD, proxies, etc. It's possible that workflow will be the 2014 4K story. The cameras have been here for a while. Now, how do we turn around the content quickly, efficiently, and with redundancy?
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Slash Rules!

Panasonic announced some stuff earlier this year. . .does that count?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
I don't think theres going to be any new architectures or cameras announced like there usually has been. Right now it looks like a lot of the major companies are working toward expanding RAW/4K/extra firmware support on cameras that have been rolled out already.

Sony has their lineup, so does Canon. Nikon isnt stepping into a different form factor yet. Curious what Panasonic is going to do with their 4K Varicam offering they have been teasing for a bit, but we shall see. Dragon is out already, so now its firmware/color revisions from here on out for there too. Curious who else might have something up their sleeve? Has JVC announced anything yet?
Atomos CEO and Co-Founder Jeromy Young said, "We have reason to believe that up to 20 new 4K cameras will be announced before next year's NAB." I would expect him to know. But the new 4K or UHD cameras announced since last summer have numbered probably fewer than ten.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Arszyla View Post
I was hoping that Canon would have a replacement for the XF300/305.
I think there's still some life in the XF300. Not sure what an "S" or "Mk2" upgrade would add. Even when Canon start producing 4K cameras, I'd expect XF300 to remain on sale for quite a while. (Can you still buy a new XM2?)

What I've been waiting for is an XF100 Mk2, with the little zoom-speed thumb-wheel from the XH-A1 and XF300, and a longer zoom. Not sure I'm going to get it, though...
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Canon would do well to updated the XF100/105. I used to look at that camera years ago but committed to the DSLR route around then. To be honest, Im actually interested if anyone is going to put out a 2/3" 4K body with good frame rate options in the lower resolutions. I'd love to step back into servo zoom world.
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Major Player

They are more likely to update the XF300/305 before they would update the XF100/105.....the XF300/305 is older, debuting at NAB in 2010 and shipping in July of that year......I'm guessing, we should see more Cine glass.......but, then again, I know nothing...

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I have given up hope of an upgraded XF300 this year. I think the whole 4k thing needs to be more defined before Canon will make a new model. Plus, the mpeg-2 codec in the XF300 can not record 1080p60. So Canon needs to have a new codec in the updated version because the lack of 1080p60 would hurt sales. A mearly upgraded XF300 would fall a little flat in the market right now.

The Panasonic PX270 looks like a real winner for being the ultimate 1080p 1/3" camera. Interested in seeing the reviews and the images.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Unregistered Guest

The Panasonic PX270 does look interesting, I'll have to get more details on that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News