DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Blackmagic has two new 4K cameras at NAB - "URSA" & "Studio Cam" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/522639-blackmagic-has-two-new-4k-cameras-nab-ursa-studio-cam.html)

Zach Love April 7th, 2014 09:04 AM

Blackmagic has two new 4K cameras at NAB - "URSA" & "Studio Cam"

Blackmagic Design: URSA

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Studio Camera

---

Studio cam:
HD / 4K models
S35 sensor
XLR audio inputs
10" monitor
active Micro 4/3"
built in headset / talkback / tally
fiber in / out
4pin XLR power
4 hour battery

Andy Wilkinson April 7th, 2014 09:15 AM

Re: Blackmagic has two new 4K cameras at NAB - "URSA" & "Studio Cam"

Love the look of the URSA!!!

Ivan Hurtado April 7th, 2014 09:16 AM

Oh, god. Mind blown. Can't say anything else at the moment; I'm still gasping for air since I read the price.

Pat Reddy April 7th, 2014 09:16 AM

Incredible, and of course everyone is asking whether they will really deliver the first 2 in July.

Zach Love April 7th, 2014 09:19 AM

Personal reaction: I was really hoping this "broadcast" camera would be 2/3" as there are a lot of great zoom lenses out there & it would be amazing crazy to have a $2k HD 2/3" broadcast camera.

The Cinezoom lenses they show in the photos cost, what... 20-50x as much as the camera it is attached too?

---

The URSA looks like a stab at the Sony F5 / F55, doesn't it? I guess the new Panasonic Varicam too (which has a 2/3" flavor, so that might be a unique selling point).

But if it compares to the F5 / F55, it would be killer at the fraction of the price.

At least since this is the 3rd year of Blackmagic Design cameras, people know that BMD has their own set of quirks, troubles, etc. etc. etc. Still exciting to see how things will shape up.

John Nantz April 7th, 2014 09:27 AM

That URSA model looks really cool.

Oh, and the talent isn't that bad, either.

Dylan Couper April 7th, 2014 09:32 AM

Huh... only took two years for Blackmagic to realize their camera design was awful.

Regardless... These better be flawless if they want to compete in the pro world.

Tim Polster April 7th, 2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Hurtado (Post 1840409)
Oh, god. Mind blown. Can't say anything else at the moment; I'm still gasping for air since I read the price.

Yes. 10" LCD!!! That is awesome. The big three are getting it handed to them by Blackmagic. This camera design ticks a lot of boxes. Very interesting.

Unregistered Guest April 7th, 2014 09:55 AM

Wow! Just amazing. RED should be worried.

James Palanza April 7th, 2014 10:02 AM

The ten inch monitor is unbelievable.

Dylan Couper April 7th, 2014 10:11 AM

It says shipping in July but doesn't specify what year...

Troy Lamont April 7th, 2014 10:48 AM

WOW! o_O

Quote:

RED should be worried.
Yes!

Quote:

Yes!

Kyle Root April 7th, 2014 02:12 PM

That unit at the bottom, without the sensor that allows you to hook up a DSLR via HDMI and have full features seems to be pretty neat....

10" HD Monitor... that is sweet.

Ivan Hurtado April 7th, 2014 02:28 PM

Here are the details about Davinci Resolve 11. The editing part has been greatly improved...

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 11

Andy Wilkinson April 7th, 2014 02:54 PM

OK now having a reality check after digesting all the info I can currently find on the URSA.

It's VERY heavy - better start booking gym sessions before I order one
No ND filters (but that is expected on a big Cinema camera where a Matt box would be the norm)
Looks to be the same sensor as the current BMD production camera - so it will not be a low-light king (but at least it could be upgraded in the future with the modular design approach)
Seems many BMD owners are not impressed with the lack of firmware fix announcements today (BMD really risk alienating their existing user base…and this is clearly aimed at a different user base to what's been seen so far from BMD - a risky strategy)
Shipping in July…yes, yes…but of which year? (BMD have rather a lot of "previous" on missing delivery dates)
Also, if I order one, won't a better model be announced by BMD before I even get my hands on it…

Still think its GREAT that there are an increasing number of competitors, such as BMD, to keep the "big boys" on their toes about pricing and features on offer…and despite the above I still, sort of, want an URSA! However, my totally reliable C100 and PMW-300 are safe enough tucked up in their kits bags - for now.