DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   8K NHK Booth (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/522721-8k-nhk-booth.html)

Warren Kawamoto April 12th, 2014 09:13 AM

8K NHK Booth

Did anyone else see this in North Hall? I sat through the theater presentation, but at 30 feet away from the screen, I couldn't see the difference between 8K and all the other 4K displays I've been seeing at NAB. I was wondering if 8K projection was even possible at this time. Most impressive to me was the 22.1 surround sound, as well as their 8K cube camera that could fit in the palm of my hand. 8K is currently being tested and worked into the pipeline, scheduled for public debut at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Jacques Mersereau April 12th, 2014 01:07 PM

Re: 8K NHK Booth

I was there and saw it in their theater. Honestly, I was NOT impressed - even sitting in the front row.
The reason was the footage, which looked like it was shot on a consumer camcorder.
NHK was gushing about its new small acquisition camera, but for me
the images looked like plastic, the color was off, shallow dynamic range and the resolution looked less than almost all the 4K on display elsewhere (most of those looked dang good BTW).
This could have been a projection issue because the huge SHARP monitor looked much better.
But when compared to Christie's 3D laser projection demo, sorry to sound harsh, but 8K sucked.

Brian Drysdale April 13th, 2014 01:17 AM

A well known cinematographer commented on the lack dynamic range, but only got just look at the 8k in response. The impression I get is that it's driven by NHK and they tend to have a different aesthetic to other users. I gather the early F900s were set up to their spec and people outside of Japan had to insist on changes before they were satisfied with the results.

Jacques Mersereau April 13th, 2014 07:25 AM

It could be that the Japanese 'aesthetic' is different, but honestly, in this case, I don't think so. Many of the NHK nature documentaries are simply gorgeous (and shot on film). I find it hard to believe they would choose a 'low dynamic range' look with a 'plastic lens' on purpose. My *guess* is that NHK is trying to hype up 8K (duh), but up until now their 8K cameras where enormous. That alone was a deal killer for market acceptance, so their new mission was to produce a camera that someone might actually consider using. Well, they did deliver on the smaller size (about the size of a RED) but (again a guess) have not had enough time to make all the shrunken technology be able to produce the kinds of digital images we now expect in 2014.

Warren Kawamoto April 13th, 2014 09:15 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the Sochi Olympics and World Cup footage were shot with modified Sony F-65s....which might mean the footage they were displaying was "line doubled?" I wonder if that might explain the lower than expected results.

Mark Donnell April 17th, 2014 11:36 AM

My guess is that for TV sets under 60" and the data rates that will really be provided by carriers, the difference between 4K and 8K will be hard to notice by most viewers.

Unregistered Guest April 17th, 2014 01:47 PM

Funny that I still shoot SD for local TV with my NX5U, the station can't yet handle HD, let alone 4K. Now manufacturers want to move to 8K? I think it'll be several years before 4K really catches on. I'll be long retired (or dead) by time 8K does.

Paul Matwiy April 19th, 2014 10:13 AM

Sony F65's are capable of resolution greater than 4k. 8k is possible from the number of photo-sites on the sensor. Details are here: http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f..._CameraPDF.pdf

I saw the 8k demo at the 2012 London Olympics at the BBC. It was impressive. Missed the demo at NAB.