EBU Policy Statement on UHDTV - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: EBU Policy Statement on UHDTV

Dave, I think the answer is simple, if it's a 2014 model, it's a good bet it's 4K@60p. The 2013 sets were all 4K@30p.

As I said, many of those 2013 sets have received an upgrade to 4K@60p. However I think that most still won't accept 4K via their USB inputs. That too has changed with the 2014 models. I sincerely doubt that a 2014 Sony, for example, would still be at 30p regardless of where it's sold. If it's a 900B, 950B or 850B it should support 4K@60. The same is true of the Samsung "HU" series.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Regarding 100/120 fps, many TVs interpolate to that today and there is no 100/120 Hz content on the near horizon. HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 4K at 100/120 Hz, so it would require dual inputs. There are no source boxes with dual 100/120 Hz outputs. There's just no viable market for such a display right now.

I've noticed that the main proponents of higher frame rates are from Europe, where 50 Hz flicker has been annoying for years. There's little interest from the US. With 60 Hz, few viewers see any problem with the current frame rate.

Personally, I'm happy with 60 Hz, and I've seen a fair amount of 4K content on large displays. Then again, my motion acuity doesn't seem to be all that high. I'm not really bothered by motion blur, though I do notice ghosting on double-flashed systems. And I really like 24 fps for narrative. So, for me, 120Hz adds cost without benefit. On the other hand, I really like HDR, wide gamut, more bit depth and resolution - when the content works well with the medium and is nicely mastered. :)
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Co-incidentally, just seen this - TVTechnology: DVB Confirms Specs For UHDTV and OTT in Europe

If my TV died tomorrow, I might get a current 4K set, but without a pressing need to get a new one, I'd say it makes a lot of sense to wait until the dust settles before going for 4K.... Wait for the DVB spec (including tuner and defined codec) to be fully implemented. (Let alone be sure of 60p and 10 bit!)
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News