Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 24th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #121
Major Player

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

It also seems like the X70 lacks the 720p120fps of the AX100. If that's really the case, I'm hoping the reason is also due to some possible upgrade. This is not based on anything except wishful thinking and pure speculation, but I'd love to see 1080p120fps come with the 4K upgrade.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #122
Regular Crew

Does anyone have any specific information about using a LANC remote on the X70? It looks like it just has their new multi A/V port and no 2.5mm LANC jack. I see that Sony offers a couple tripods that come with a wired controller and believe they come with multiple cables to adapt to all their different designs, but I will not be using a tripod. I will be using a fluid head on a tree arm and need remote control over the on/off, start/stop, zoom, and hopefully focus.
I'm hoping there's an option or a workaround for this as it could be a deal breaker for me, and I really like everything else about this camera.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #123
Major Player

I think everybody follows a wrong assumption.
(quoting from BH)
X70: $2300
CX900: $1500
AX100: $1800
XLR-K1M: $800 (mic adapter with exact same layout as in X70 but without handler)

Judging from pricing, this camera is the pro version of the CX900, because AX100+XLRK1M are more expensive than X70 and have considerably less functionality (except 4K).

So Sony brings an HD pro camera that is better deal than anything else out there and gives you the option to pay more and get 4K whenever you feel you need it. If they follow the same pricing scheme the 4K upgrade will be around $800, because that's the difference between x70 and CX900 and IMO, will not have a better 4K implementation than AX100.

If they choose to have a better codec, the difference in price will be way way bigger.
Although I would have like the idea, personally I doubt.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #124
Inner Circle

Remote that will work is the RM-VPR1 Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-terminal Cable RM-VPR1.

Also the low light level of 1.7 is for slow shutter. At a more normal 1/60 it is 3lux.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #125
Regular Crew

That's the one I found also. It doesn't seem to offer manual focus though. I suppose that's not a deal breaker, but I would think they would offer a remote that would give you full manual controls. I suppose since the X70 has touch focus I can live without it on the remote. It just seems kinda silly to build a camera like this, and then handicap it with something as simple as the LANC function.
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #126
Inner Circle

You can also use the the WiFi app too.

Just to add to the low light. My AX1 is rated at 4Lux 60P 1/30 equivalent to the 1.7 lux of the X70.

Ron Evans
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #127
Regular Crew

The Wifi App is something to consider I suppose. I have the App for my GoPro and it seems like every time I need it, it's jacked up and I can't use it so I just can't rely on it.

Since we are looking at the same sensor as the AX100, does anyone know how the AX100 or X70 compares in low light to the XA20? From my understanding the XA20 get's pretty high praise for it's low light capabilities. Something that is very important to me.
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #128
Inner Circle

The AX100 "LANC" also works with the AVM1 - AV to MULTI adapter - so at least in theory, some other LANC controllers may work. On the never ending AX100 thread it was reported that the cheap Viivitar LANC controller (which does have buttons for focus) worked via adapters... so it MAY be possible to access via LANC.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #129
Regular Crew

RM-VPR1 | ? Interchangeable-Lens Cameras | Sony UK
VCT-VPR1 | HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony UK

this both are works for the AX100 and CX900
I have the VCT-VPR1 Remote Control Tripod for the AX100, in cause to the better remote control
the cheap tripod self, I have donate to a grandchild for his photo-cam. and the remote are now relocate on my Video-tripod
who can I fixed the zoom on his least level, and switching on/of the grid lines....
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #130
Inner Circle

I have a VCT-VPR100 that is not a bad light tripod that comes with 4 interface cables for compatibility with just about all Sony products !!!

Ron Evans
Old August 27th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson View Post
The Wifi App is something to consider I suppose. I have the App for my GoPro and it seems like every time I need it, it's jacked up and I can't use it so I just can't rely on it.

Since we are looking at the same sensor as the AX100, does anyone know how the AX100 or X70 compares in low light to the XA20? From my understanding the XA20 get's pretty high praise for it's low light capabilities. Something that is very important to me.
in 1080 the AX100 is better than the XA20 in low light, half-stop or even more. I had both. The same scene can be shot @ 1/100 on the AX100 while the XA20 needs 1/60 (shutter speed). same DB applied on both.
regarding the lanc I can confirm that the cheap vivirar (lanc) works via the AV-M1 and the 2.5mm to sony av-r cable: zoom , start/stop, zoom speed (8 constant plus variable), on-screen info on-off (but only on the LCD, doesn't work on a monitor via HDMI, focus and ON-Off (CAMERA) . The libec 3DV didn't work (no idea why).
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #132
Major Player

I was wondering if anyone has noticed that there are no provisions on the X70 for mounting a neck/shoulder strap. Perhaps I haven't been observant enough but I have been over every mm of the camera in the hi-res photos on the B&H website and I couldn't see any strap anchors. Of course you could jury rig something through the handle grip but that wouldn't be ideal.

I bought this item and have tried it on my Canon EOS 7 D and it works beautifully with the shoulder strap I used with my PMW 200. I figure with the X70 my hand will be close to the top of camera handle when it is hanging down at my side and I can steady the camera while walking.

Here is the item - expensive but well made - they also make an assembly for sliding the camera up but I wont need that - my regular Porta Brace strap works fine:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925548-REG/custom_slr_cl01b_c_loop_black.html

This is the assembly I mentioned :

Custom SLR Glide Strap with Split Strap Technology | B&H Photo

I also talked with B&H and the latest estimate of camera shipment is the first 7-10 days of September :-)
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #133
Slash Rules!

I noticed I got a few updates to this thread via email but when I clicked the link those responses weren't there? That last post is the first new one that's come through in a few days.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I was wondering if anyone has noticed that there are no provisions on the X70 for mounting a neck/shoulder strap...
Barry, you're observations are correct. It looks the same as the AX100 on which there is only the small ring on the grip's hand strap, not very ideal. For my AX100, I have picked up a Peak Design strap in Singapore (soon available at B&H). I attach to the hand strap and then use the screw in eyelet at the tripod mounting hole to give another attach point. If I attach both ends of the neck strap to the handle ring, then it pulls the camera to one side. Attaching to the ring and the tripod stud still pulls the camera off center but a little more manageable. Trying to think of how to rig something better...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071398-REG/peak_design_sl_1_padded_camera_sling_shoulder_neck_strap.html
Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; August 30th, 2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: wording
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 09:49 PM   #135
Regular Crew

I had noticed the lack of attachment points for a strap also. I guess Sony decided that the form factor on this smaller camcorder didn't need a strap. A little disappointing to me too. I have a really cool strap the is like a bungee cord that allows me to put positive down force on the camera while walking to help smooth out the walking motion. It works really well. I'm sure I can figure out a way to make it work though.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds