Sony FS-700 II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sony FS-700 II

For anybody that hasn't already seen this:

New Sony 4K camera teased, source describes it as ‘F55 in DSLR body’ | EOSHD.com

This is the "other" Sony 4K camera that is possibly out there.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
For anybody that hasn't already seen this:

New Sony 4K camera teased, source describes it as ‘F55 in DSLR body’ | EOSHD.com

This is the "other" Sony 4K camera that is possibly out there.

CT
It's actually this and not a new camera. Fiber link attachment for the F-series cameras
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FS-700 II-original.jpg  
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
I think it looks great. But then that's more about it having a proper form factor. I have an FS700 and although it's capeable whoever designed it didn't speak to many shooters thats for sure!

I'm not sure this is a FS700 II though !? - I bet its a new model and it will almost certainly been de-tuned to protect the marketing structure for the 5 and 55 !

However - If it has HD broadcast legal codecs/ high speed and 4k....wrapped up in that form factor. I will take one!
I agree. It looks like a different model entirely to fit a gap.

The FS100 and FS700 looked very similar to each other. If they came out with a FS700 II or FS1000 or what ever, it would still have similarities aesthetically to the originals.

I guess we can only speculate around the hype until we hear the news. I for one won't be selling my FS700 any time soon.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
It's actually this and not a new camera. Fiber link attachment for the F-series cameras
Good catch. You got a great eye!

Damn...my bubble was just popped...lol
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Comparing the pictures, the operator's side doesn't match nor the carrying handle, although that doesn't meant to say that they're not related cameras, but they are different.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Space Hipster

It looks like it takes XQD cards.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Assuming this announcement is referring to the same camera (watch the interviews) it sounds like the camera will not be a huge shoulder cam but still in the handheld variety (note the woman interviewed said she would like a camera "easy to carry around")

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/br...-of-expression
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #23
Major Player

Not the best looking promo video, nonetheless i think this will be a pro cinematography camera for several reasons. First, it looks very FS700ish. Second, the video teaser on Sony's site is posted under Broadcast & Pro A/V---Cinematography.
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #24
Trustee

Based on that awful promo video, it sounds like a portable pro-sumer camcorder aimed at Youtubers / Bloggers and the like.
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Major Player

Please pardon my ignorance (I'm just a hobbyist) but could someone enlighten me about the depth of field of the Super35mm camera (like the FS700 or it's upcoming replacement) compared with say a PMW 200/300 (which I have used for years). Does it have to be shallow most of the time or something I can just control with the proper f stops and judicious use of ND filters for outside shots. I do prefer a longer depth of field for my outdoor video shots and not the "pure cinematic" look of the shallow depth of field.
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #26
Trustee

Yes, you can control the depth of field by playing with the aperture / iris settings. The higher the F-stop the less "background" blur you will get. Rest assured.
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
. I do prefer a longer depth of field for my outdoor video shots and not the "pure cinematic" look of the shallow depth of field.
Just to say that "pure cinematic" isn't all about a shallow depth of field, some of the most cinematic films ever made have a large depth of field and some of least cinematic have a shallow depth of field. But yes, you can use the f stops to control your depth of field more with a larger sensor, specially with high sensitivity, which gives greater options with less light.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #28
Major Player

Thank you James and Brian for your comments. I am actually excited if this new camera comes in at a decent price point (8-12K range) that I could replace my PMW 200 and obtain better low light performance, dynamic range and image quality. I guess we will find out a week from today (unless there are further leaks along the way).
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Trustee

One of the big questions I have is how is Sony going to market a new S35 camera against a potential new FF camera? It would be really odd for Sony to build this amazing A7s sensor for an A7s "only". It's reasonable to expect that Sony will move it into other "pro" models. (I don't imagine Sony selling that chip to other companies)

"If" that happens,..how in the Hell will Sony market those two formats against each other? Super35 being much more of a "Cine" standard and FF video being something different for the rig happy DSLR type guys.

If they do bring in a FF "FS100 mkII" I would suspect that they will allow all the A7s low light crazyness and SLog2 but lock it down to 8bit only? Maybe they would save the 10bit for the "upper" Super35 cameras? (even though they will be less sensitive)

Dunno how but Sony will be forced to cripple some aspects of any FF camcorder performance to keep it from running over the Super35 models. (including the current F5/55)

Could you imagine a "FS100 mkII" with A7s FF sensor, SLog2 and internal XAVC-S codec runinng cool with long recording times for $6000?? They would sell ZILLIONS of those things! (and zillions of Sony FF lenses)

I suppose an 8bit codec and 8bit output lock down (with HDMI1.4) is the best trick?

It seems that the current F5 and F55 are sitting in a very odd price point now. (especially the F5)

I wonder if the Sony marketing people are pulling their hair out trying to manage the HD vs. 4k transition. They are telling us: "Yes, buy our GREAT 1080 products,...Wait!!...no, no buy our even better new 4K cameras instead"

Interesting!
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
One of the big questions I have is how is Sony going to market a new S35 camera against a potential new FF camera? It would be really odd for Sony to build this amazing A7s sensor for an A7s "only". It's reasonable to expect that Sony will move it into other "pro" models. (I don't imagine Sony selling that chip to other companies)
You're missing the point - S35 is/was THE standard in motion picture production for a century (give or take) with a very well developed set of tools. The Full Frame advent is an anomaly that exists SOLELY because of the dSLR "revolution" which stemmed from using stills cameras (and lenses) to capture moving pictures.

There are still very few TRUE cinema lenses that fit FF cameras for a reason.

Yes, all the hobbyists and new-to-cinema folks are RAVING about FF but frankly, it isn't being embraced widespread in The Big Industry.

Will FF sell cameras and lenses? Sure. Will it drive a complete revolution of the industry as a whole? Doubt it. In fact, I see it in reverse - when the DX/Crop Sensor dSLRs started appearing, there were VERY few wide lenses for the format. Over the past 10 or so years we have seen an amazing number of rectilinear (or NEAR rectilinear) lenses hit the market, all to the benefit of the S35 dSLR shooter.

Just a matter of perspective. Pardon the pun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News