Just announced: Panny X1000 4k camcorder: $3499 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Just announced: Panny X1000 4k camcorder: $3499

Very surprised Panasonic posted this video. It is bad to the point of embarrassing. As previously mentioned, it looks like bad SD footage.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:07 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the promo clip looks atrocious... when you are used to the AX100 4K output (which generally looks pretty good on YT), the Panasonic clip leaves you scratching your head... saw several sections with noticeable blocking, smearing is horrid, grass particularly was just a mess...

I saw similar "issues" in the FZ1000 clips, but ONLY in shadow areas, on this clip it was everywhere. the few short parts with heavily blurred backgrounds and only a part of the screen in focus looked almost OK, but on full screens, it looked like "detail" just overwhelmed the processor, leaving a blocky, mushy, smeary, visual turd...

I REALLY hope that there is not so much rush to get 4K product on the market that this is considered acceptable "output"... Certainly we already know that the AX100 and GH4 can produce excellent 4K... well under this price point.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Thinking it must be an issue with one video, I found this equally disturbing example. Almost seems like an April Fools joke.

Old September 4th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
This is the same concept as the FDR-AX1. Repurposing a cell phone sensor with a 1/3'' active image area to use for 4K. If you're wondering why the footage looks muddy, that's likely why.
I'm a little surprised Panasonic haven't used the 1" sensor from the FZ1000. Sony have already shown that 1" single-chip cameras (AX100) are a better compromise than 1/3" for 4k (AX1 / Z100). Maybe the X1000 is a stop-gap model while they work on a 1" model with a processor and recorder capable of handling 4k at 50p/60p? Or maybe this is the first, and smallest, of a range of 4k camcorders? It's certainly impressively small. The B&H images are quite startling - the pictures of the camera alone make it look quite a chunky size, then you see a couple of shots with a human hand and you realise how dinky it really is!

All the major companies have released compact 4k cameras now except Canon. On past experience, they'll be about 6-9 months behind the others, but their response will be worth a close look. I wonder if they'll adopt Sony's XAVC codec family?
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
i'm actually quite curious about the low light, it's still bigger than a 1/3",
That extra sensor area is used for stablization...its effectively a 1/3" chip.

While I love the competition to keep the 3 big makers (and then there's JVC) on the cutting edge of video camera introductions...deep down I'm glad this one isn't turning out to be a "must have" since I recently jumped ship from all-Panasonic to Sony investments. Still stacking chips and setting aside for a couple X70s. 10bit 4:2:2 from here on out.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
@Nate -

On my 4K computer/monitor, it looks truly awful... not sure if it's YT compression or what, but I have it at 4K resolution, and it is more than "mushy"... looks like (bad) SD in parts...
Precisely what I was just going to post. I couldn't believe how bad it looked and I've seen tons of 4K YouTube footage on my 4K monitor. None looked this bad. For some reason the compression looked huge!

I also don't understand why they went with a small chip like this as opposed to something like the 1" in the AX100. Weird. But it does do 4K@60p....hopefully far better looking than the posted clip!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carter View Post
Thinking it must be an issue with one video, I found this equally disturbing example. Almost seems like an April Fools joke.

Panasonic Camcorder HC-X1000 - The Art of Motion, Frank Sauer | Director & DoP - YouTube
Wow! Speechless, Dan! This camera can't be that bad, it just can't be. This must be some kind of an encoding/uploading issue. If not, I hope they're not producing more than a couple, they'll have trouble selling 2.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Somehow I think Panasonic has some CODEC implementation issues... the funny thing is that I can recall seeing similar pixel block patterns back with a GS100K I owned... and the same issues with the FZ200... I really like many of Panasonics design features (constant f/2.8 in the FZ200 made that a big purchasing point for the RX10), but the image quality has been disappointing, especially when comparing it to the other plusses.

I took some time to look around for FZ1000 samples on YT, found a few that looked "mostly good", but in certain areas (motion, and darker areas of a frame), I noticed consistent macroblocking/pixelization - I previously mentioned that shadow areas were noticeably smeared/blocky.

Looking at the new promo clips for this new X1000 cam, there's also a weird "poster" like quality to that "motion" video - almost like some odd filter was applied to get a stylized look. I'm trying to figure out how these samples (which we're all seeing as "bad") are supposed to sell a product? I'm with Ken, I wouldn't touch a camera that produced video that looked THAT bad.

There is a definite "pattern" (literally in the case of the promotional clips!), and while I'm glad there's competition, I starting to get the feeling that Sony has been easing off 4K after looking at the "competition". I can only hope that Panasonics "4K" demos do not set the expectation of what 4K footage should look like.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Looking at those YouTube videos, I think the problem is a bad rendering job by whoever edited the footage. It looks like a really low bit rate was used, someone probably just messed up.
Steven Ansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm assuming they exported with some kind of default Youtube compression settings, as a properly exported 4k image should be tack sharp, I was expecting to see moire and aliasing when downscaled to 1080!

We should all wait to see some real world examples before judging this camera. Anytime a company puts out "footage shot with..." it's always the same old stuff, skylines, flowers, water, etc...
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:31 AM   #26
Austinite

The battery is model VW-VBD58 Retail = $199.99. Street probably less.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:24 AM   #27
Trustee

Here is a video done by the camera store:

This video was a review on the LX100 but was shot WITH the x1000. They had to apologize at the near end for the crappy quality of the review video due to the bad quality of the x1000.
The shooter said that since its an early version, he will not use it for anything if they won't change the quality and address the issues.

Old October 5th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #28
Major Player

Here are links to two new samples from the HC-X1000.

MUCH better than the previous clips, so this camera looks pretty good.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #29
Trustee

They did a follow up video claiming it was a pre-production model that isn't finalized yet.

Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #30
Regular Crew

For those in the Los Angeles area who want to see the HC-X1000 firsthand,
SAMY's is hosting a free event to launch it, and I will be on hand to talk about it and show how it works. November 6th.

with Barry Green ......
Panasonic HC-X1000 4K Video Launch Party at Moto Art Studios w/Barry Green- Eventbrite
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders