DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Gopro Hero 4 announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/525140-gopro-hero-4-announced.html)

Bryce Comer September 29th, 2014 08:12 AM

Gopro Hero 4 announced

For those wanting more than a measly 15fps in 4k, here is the hero 4!

GoPro Official Website - Capture + share your world

Ronan Fournier September 29th, 2014 08:36 AM

Re: Gopro Hero 4 announced

Great!
But why is there no touch display on the most expensive Black version? I'de like to know why this feature is only for the Silver version.

Dylan Couper September 29th, 2014 10:34 AM

Either it would have driven the price point too high or they couldn't build it into the Black and keep the standard size case.

The funny thing is that the part I'm most excited about is the new battery door. That is so overdue.

Lawrence Bansbach September 29th, 2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier (Post 1862971)
Great!
But why is there no touch display on the most expensive Black version? I'de like to know why this feature is only for the Silver version.

I saw one claim that the higher frame rates cause the camera to run too hot for a touch screen.

Anyone know if the 4K is UHD only or full DCI (at 24 fps)?

Jody Arnott September 29th, 2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier (Post 1862971)
Great!

I'm wondering if they'll eventually release a "Black+" or something similar with the LCD display. I'd say they left it out because of heat and battery life concerns.

Peer Landa September 30th, 2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1863042)
I'd say they left it out because of heat and battery life concerns.

Due to increased thermal conductivity of darker colors, wouldn't it make more sense to make the 4K version silver rather than black...?

-- peer

Jurij Turnsek October 1st, 2014 02:20 AM

This is now the 5th iteration of this product and millions have been sold and used without an LCD. And you even have the option of tethering, so why all the whining?

Please consider that the Black version has to handle 2x the data-rate of Silver (30 4K frames vs 15 4K frames) and maybe they have just added another processor (eg. Canon 7D) and there is no room for an LCD. Also consider the lowly battery life and the increased price, which already seems very high.

Dylan Couper October 1st, 2014 07:17 PM

I didn't notice anyone whining...

Did any of the rest of you guys notice anyone whining?

Plus I mentioned the possible space issue back in post #2.
And... How do you tether your phone while scuba diving?

Evan Donn October 5th, 2014 12:12 PM

I had the LCD backpack for my previous gopros, but haven't missed it since I got the 3+. Tethering to a phone or ipad works better in a lot of situations - helmet mount, etc where looking at the back of the camera isn't practical or possible.

That said - for situations where tethering isn't practical, like diving, you can still get the LCD backpack for the 4.

Phil George October 5th, 2014 02:41 PM

Shame it still has a distorted fisheye lens though.

Rich Adrion October 5th, 2014 06:02 PM

Went to B&H today and ordered the GoPro 4HERO Black..traded in my 3+Black.
They promised to ship it out it out on Monday -When I left the store they said that they had 130 units in stock.

The only disappointing thing was that they only had the Adventure package and not the Music package--I really could have used the music mounts more than they adventure ones. Hopefully I can work it out with GoPro and trade the mounts in at a later date for the music ones.

Jurij Turnsek October 6th, 2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil George (Post 1863776)
Shame it still has a distorted fisheye lens though.

FOV can be changed and it is mentioned in all specifications:

Greg Boston October 6th, 2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurij Turnsek (Post 1863829)
FOV can be changed and it is mentioned in all specifications:

Well, yes and no. You can't change the native FOV of the mounted lens, which is too wide for my tastes, and is what Phil was alluding to. What you are doing in the camera menu is an electronic zoom and it results in less than stellar video quality. When they first added this capability in the Hero2, I went to Medium from Wide and the video was really degraded. I though I had a defective camera and contacted GoPro support. After sending them a couple sample videos, they concluded that I did not have a defective camera and they told me that it was an electronic zoom of sorts. The noise was increased and color saturation was decreased.

-gb-

Charles W. Hull October 7th, 2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 1863852)
Well, yes and no. You can't change the native FOV of the mounted lens, which is too wide for my tastes, and is what Phil was alluding to. What you are doing in the camera menu is an electronic zoom and it results in less than stellar video quality. When they first added this capability in the Hero2, I went to Medium from Wide and the video was really degraded. I though I had a defective camera and contacted GoPro support. After sending them a couple sample videos, they concluded that I did not have a defective camera and they told me that it was an electronic zoom of sorts. The noise was increased and color saturation was decreased.

Well, no and yes. GoPro fixed the FOV with Hero3. (By correctly reading the pixels from the sensor for each range.) Medium and Narrow work fine. But obviously as you go to the higher resolution formats for any sensor the options with this approach go away, and with 4K the only choice is Wide.

Chase Gartner October 26th, 2014 05:57 AM

Can anyone give me any suggestions on combining footage from a Canon XL2 and a Gopro hero 4 silver edition My main question is this : will combining 720p in 60i mode, look ok when cut scenes are added from the gorpro 4 silver in 1080p 60 fps? (i am intending on recording a music performance)