New Sony A7 mk2 with S-Log2 and built in Image Stabilisation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Sony A7 mk2 with S-Log2 and built in Image Stabilisation

Just out in Japan only,

5 - axis image stabilization built in
Picture profiles
S-log2
Time code / User bit
XAVC-S

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-g...6cd/index.html

Very nice upgrade
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony A7 mk2 with S-Log2 and built in Image Stabilisation

Does the stabilisation work in videomode? Will the camera have the same low light sensitivity as the "s" version? The a7 is actually more of a photocamera, no? Also, the link doesn't work.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Does the stabilisation work in videomode? Will the camera have the same low light sensitivity as the "s" version? The a7 is actually more of a photocamera, no? Also, the link doesn't work.
Noa
Fixed the link

Looks very good for video
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting Paul,

This looks like a nice options to replace my Olympus OM-D E-M1(excellent still camera) which has the same 5-axis IS but is not full frame.

With my FS7 coming next month this will let me reduce the number of lens when I travel.

Now to test one and see how it performs in the real world.
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

After ordering a FS7 I've been inclined to get a A7 camera. This one looks perfect, but then I saw it lacks 4K.
Guess I have to wait for the S mk11 then.
Paul, what lenses do you plan to use with your FS7?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Joachim,

I have not decided on my lens selection yet still discussing it with a buddy who has a FS7. For most of my work I need wide, very wide. If Sony 16-35 SAL1635Z f/2.8 lens works well on the FS7 that would be nice for both cameras. But my buddy just tested the 18-105 at a NFL game and I have not heard what he thinks about that option. That could also be nice.

Then there is the Sony 10-18 but it is F/4 which turns me off a bit. I use wide with boat interiors and a fast lens is always nice to keep a wide depth of field. So that leads me back to a PL mount and the Dulcos 11-16 that I have used a lot on the F55. I also use the Red 17-50 on the F55 and it is a great lens but it would be nice to see if the Sony will fit the bill.

Above that I go with stabilized glass for my work. So the Sony 28-135 kit lens might be a good choice. But I need to test if first.

So I did not really answer your question since I don't know myself yet.

Do you own a FS7?
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Paul,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I had ordered from the first batch that came to Norway, but I didn't have the funds ready 3 weeks ago unfortunately. I had to pass on that, and I just put the money down for one this morning. Not sure when it will arrive.
I will probably get the 28-135 when it ships, as it seems pretty ok for the price.
I was looking at the 18-105 as a stop over, but haven't tried it.

I do own the RED 17-50mm, but it's a bit short for the work I plan with this camera. A kind of grabandshoot additional camera to our REDs.
I wish I could afford the Canon 17-120mm, used it for the first time last week. What a great lens.

I don't own any Sony glass, so wondering if I should get an EF adaptor or just start buying Sony glass (as well;-))

Nice to throw some thoughts around. Appreciate it
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Joachim,

Always happy to share my thoughts with gear, one of the great reasons I visit DVinfo.net.

The FS7 cameras are starting to show up in batches in the US and my plan is to have one in hand before the end of the year.

Agree for the money the 28-135 will be worth a try, they would sell twice as many if it was 18-135 at twice the price. As for the other Sony Lens only time will tell. If I learn more about the 18-105 I will let you know.

For most of a year the Red 17-50 was my go to lens but I fully agree about it not being long enough. Luckily the F55 has the center crop so that helped a lot.

Yea, I bet the Canon 17-120 is a nice lens. A bit outside of my budget and with most of my work on or around the water I really need IS on the longer glass.

Edit: Forgot to add my thoughts on EF mount on FS7. I know a lot of shooters like using Canon SLR lens but for me it does not work. I had a Canon 300 for a year and used Canon SLR lens. Wanted to get rid of it after the first shoot. Also had the Optitek FZ to EF adapter on the F55 and used it one test then sold it. I really prefer glass that I can use all three functions manual and keep it smooth. Yes, I like a zoom rocker for my work at times with smooth iris and very smooth focus.

Currently I am about to sell my PMW-300 and the stock lens is OK and has IS. But for 95% of the shooting I have done with that camera I use a Canon KHex10x3.3 eng lens, and wow it a different beast with that lens.
But like I said a lot of shooters love Canon SLR lens on their video camera, I am just not one of those people.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; November 21st, 2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: comments on EF mount on FS7
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Reading your last part of your post, it's exactly how I feel.
I currently own a C300, I bought it for a TV series I'm currently shooting, using it for another week. I've already put it up for sale 2 weeks ago.
I never liked to work with that camera, the only lens I feel kind of confident using pulling focus is the sigma 18-35. Not rehoused version.

And I'm quite used to using canon glass as I have both pl and wd mounts for my RED canera, but I thought about getting the optitek, then I read you have used it and sold it and that put me off. Care to elaborate?

The FS7 is going to replace EX-3 and 700 cameras on another TV show I'm working on. We have used the F55 with the 17-120 and Cabrios a few times, but it involves traveling quite often and carrying 3 F55 kits around on international flights are a bit of a pain. And the cost is quite high with those kits.
Thinking theFS7 would fit the bill, would been perfect if that lens would be a bit wider, he'll even 24 would have made quite a difference.

We were thinking that the A7 would be great for b-roll on this production
Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I know there are a lot of shooters who feel the same as both of us about the C300.

As for the Optitek, it did not work well for me, and in the end you are using DSLR glass. The DSLR glass does not cut it for me and the lag in the Optitek with iris jumps, tough to nail focus FAST, and poor customer service are some of the reasons I sold right away. I normally do not make mistakes buying gear but that one was a mistake.

I sold my F55 for cost and travel load reason. It is a fantastic camera. I am on the road filming different shows about 20 weeks of the year and the rest of the time filming locally or working my other businesses. So for me to travel with 4 bags instead of 5 bags is a big deal. I bring my cameras, glass, batteries (a must), and audio gear on board with me in a nice two bag sat up.

Traveling lighter is one of the reasons I am looking at the A7 II. If this will work for stills which I also shoot for the same clients, and c-cam then it might be a good buy. We use a wide range of camera for the b-cam.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Major Player

I just thought of a lens I bought this summer, an old FD lens that is re-fitted to EF mount.
It's a 28-85mm f4. Not the widest lens, but all manual and a descent focus throw.
How would that go with a speed booster or other metabolism adaptor?

I'm also a bit torn between the A7 and A7s.
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Major Player

B&H Now offering pre-orders:
Items | B&H Photo Video
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post

Then there is the Sony 10-18 but it is F/4 which turns me off a bit. I use wide with boat interiors and a fast lens is always nice to keep a wide depth of field.
If you're looking for a lot of depth of field, you'd be stopping down a bit anyway, so why is f/4 a limitation? On a lens that wide, getting a shallow depth of field is the bigger challenge.
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks for the comment Rakesh,

I am looking for lens that will work wide on the FS7 for video and A7 for stills. So to go F/4 is just too slow for me. Understand you point about going wide and deep depth of field but I want the same lens to go 2.8 or faster for stills. I think that is possible and just looking for a nice match.
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hey Paul,

I just recently picked up a copy of the Sony 10-18mm for my FS7 that shipped today. I tried it out on my FS100 and I really like it. I wish it was faster, but the other benefits make up for it IMO. Nice and sharp, VERY wide, IS and electronic control for quick auto focus and iris. Electronic response is very fast on the
FS100. I hope it reacts the same on the FS7.
BTW... also have the 18-105mm. The focus ring is loose and not as firm as on the 10-18mm. It's something you have to get use to and be aware of or you can easily overshoot your focus points.
Also, the 18-105mm suffers from pin cushion distortion which the FS7 corrects for.... but I believe that the correction only works at 1080 up to 60fps. I hope that's wrong or can be corrected in firmware for 4K use age.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News