DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New Sony action cameras announced at CES (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/526340-new-sony-action-cameras-announced-ces.html)

Rakesh Malik January 6th, 2015 12:48 PM

New Sony action cameras announced at CES

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-intr...s-at-ces-2015/

Charles W. Hull January 6th, 2015 03:00 PM

Re: New Sony action cameras announced at CES

The claimed advantage over GoPro is video stabilization - which could be a really big thing. But I'm expecting this will only be for HD, not for 4K. I'll be at CES later in the week and will try to find out.

Mark Rosenzweig January 6th, 2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1872807)
The claimed advantage over GoPro is video stabilization - which could be a really big thing. But I'm expecting this will only be for HD, not for 4K. I'll be at CES later in the week and will try to find out.

I share your expectation, and this is a big deal.

Based on specs, the Sony has a lot of shortcomings relative to the GoPro 4:

For time-lapses (a major use of action cams) the pictures are just 2K, so you do not even get a 4K time-lapse. The GoPro yields full 12 megapixel stills for time-lapses. So you can get 4K time-lapse videos and crop!

You can also limit the ISO on the GoPro (all modes). You can set shutter speeds for night time-lapses. None of this is possible for the Sony. There is also ProTune flat for the GoPro, which enables more effective color grading to mix action cam and regular footage from other cams.

You can shoot 2.7K 50fps and get smooth action and better than HD resolution (or crop to HD) with the GoPro; not the Sony.

The GoPro allows spot and multi-segment metering choice; the Sony only has multi-segment.

The Sony does have timecode and GPS and a built-in stereo mic (both have stereo external mic in).

Dylan Couper January 6th, 2015 03:31 PM

Really liking the new remote for it. It says it has the ability to control up to 5 devices, I'd like to assume that it'll let you jump between the live view of all 5 on the remote.

Mark Rosenzweig January 6th, 2015 06:44 PM

Competition is great!

There will be a February firmware upgrade of the Hero 4 Black, so it can do:

"720p 240 fps video - Record ultra high frame rate video at a staggering 240 frames per second for liquid smooth slow-motion playback
2.7K 60 fps video - Capture cinematic, high-resolution 2.7K footage at an impressive 60 frames per second."

Jack Zhang January 8th, 2015 08:39 AM

I misheard initial announcements that they limited all the framerates on the Hero 4 to 120fps. Apparently WVGA is still 240fps on all models regardless of firmware updates. But finally adding 720p 240fps would be very nice.

Charles W. Hull January 10th, 2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1872807)

Yes, as I'd expected for the Sony 4K action cam, for video stabilization you need to run HD. 4K stabilization isn't supported.

Rakesh Malik January 16th, 2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1873256)
Yes, as I'd expected for the Sony 4K action cam, for video stabilization you need to run HD. 4K stabilization isn't supported.

That's disappointing. It pretty much makes stabilization a non-feature, given their 4K push in everything else.

So basically, unless the Sony action cam manages to demonstrate significantly better picture quality than the Hero4 Black, then it's going to be a hard sell in its target market. And I think that's a pretty unlikely.

Dylan Couper January 16th, 2015 09:04 PM

I'll buy one when I can get my hands on one and find out. I think 1080 with IS is a HUGE advantage. The bulk of buyers can't take advantage of 4k anyway.

The Sony is a hard sell regardless of if it had a Dragon sensor in it... GoPro still owns the market and it'll be an uphill battle for any competitor.

Mark Rosenzweig January 17th, 2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1873806)
I think 1080 with IS is a HUGE advantage. The bulk of buyers can't take advantage of 4k anyway.

The bulk of buyers CAN take advantage of 4K. First, 4K video can be played on just about any computer with a modern Intel chip, including Atom tablets. Second, almost all editors now natively edit 4K, and some automatically make proxy files that make editing fast on even cheap computers.

Now, why would you want to make/play 4K videos? Because they look (because they are) much better than native 1080 video on any screen (especially compared with digitally-stabilized 1080 video). You do not need 4K screens to see the difference. Downrezzed 4K is visibly better than native 1080, except for native 1080 from a few cameras (e.g., RX10), where it is close.

Dylan Couper January 17th, 2015 12:04 PM

Mark, that's not the bulk of GoPro users. Remember that 90% of people who buy one use it once a year for skiing or kids to use them in the skate park.

Though I'll amend my statement to say, the bulk of buyers WILL NOT take advantage of 4k. Fair enough? :)

Full disclosure - I'm a GoPro dealer.

Ron Evans January 17th, 2015 02:40 PM

I have a GOPRo Black Edition and a Sony AS30V. For skiing one needs to shoot at a high frame rate otherwise a lot of stuff gets thrown away because it is just not usable. In this regard the Sony is better performing stabilization in camera and is my go to camera now. 4K does not shoot at 60P or faster so is in my mind not usable for sports. 2.7 at 60 may be good though as there would be enough extra framing for post stabilization to 1902x1080. I have the remote for both GoPro and Sony and the Sony is better.

Ron Evans

Mark Rosenzweig January 17th, 2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1873842)
Mark, that's not the bulk of GoPro users. Remember that 90% of people who buy one use it once a year for skiing or kids to use them in the skate park.

Though I'll amend my statement to say, the bulk of buyers WILL NOT take advantage of 4k. Fair enough? :)

Full disclosure - I'm a GoPro dealer.

The bulk of users will not take advantage of 4K as long as people do not advise them properly on the tremendous advantage of 4K: the video will look much better, and it is no less easy to work with. Families will regret years from now (and their adult children will too) that they did not shoot at the highest resolution when they took videos of family outings, in skate parks or wherever.

Full disclosure: I do not sell cameras, I use them.

Ron Evans January 17th, 2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1873875)
The bulk of users will not take advantage of 4K as long as people do not advise them properly on the tremendous advantage of 4K: the video will look much better, and it is no less easy to work with. Families will regret years from now (and their adult children will too) that they did not shoot at the highest resolution when they took videos of family outings, in skate parks or wherever.

4K at 60P and I would agree with you. 4K at 30P and that requires careful camera work and then the image will still have some judder due to the slower frame rate. Personally I prefer the smooth motion. I have a FDR-AX1 and always shoot at 60P as I find 30P unacceptable to my eyes. Yes the image is sharper and downscaled to HD is lovely and in the future it will no doubt be possible to smooth out the 30P motion just like my Sony TV does for most of the things I watch now. I am waiting for a smaller camera that will shoot 60P or at least have better low light performance than my FDR-Ax1.

Ron Evans

Dylan Couper January 18th, 2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1873875)

Well hurry up and start telling them then!