Video on iPod Now Official - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 13th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Don't forget video out!

Guys,

Forget about the 2.5" screen--this thing has video out! This could be the killer app for the new iPod. This basically makes it a portable Tivo. You can convert content on your Mac with QuickTime--it can do MPEG4 at 480x480. How would that look on a TV?

Wedding and event videographers now don't have to wait to render to DVD to show their clients a first draft of their work. Just take your project as a QuickTime movie on your iPod, take the iPod to the client's house/site and view it. Nice.

Also nice for traveling with the kids in the car. Or on a family trip with a rainy day. You dont' have to carry DVDs anymore.
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #32
Regular Crew

The Trojan Horse in all this is that ultimately, all content could become pay-per-view.
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #33
Wrangler

We've pretty much come to that already.... most people watch TV on cable or satellite that they pay for, or rent/buy DVD's. And even with over the air broadcasts you "pay" by suffering through the commercials ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #34
Major Player

When I said catch up, I meant in terms of technology not market share, in that respect you are definately right. Apples has enough "eye Candy" to shake a stick at. The TV out option is also been done before.

What I was saying was that, Joe Blogs may think this is "new" stuff, but hard nosed gadgeters should know that this is been done before (even if the media will hail this as "first of kind").

Remember Nintendo 64?, it was hailed as the FIRST 64bit system, yet this was factually wrong, as the Atari Jaguar was a true 64bit system, it used two sub system chips namley Tom and Jerry each was 32bit (For graphics and sound respectively). However few got to know about Atari it was a failed games console :(

Anhar
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #35
Major Player

As usual Robert Cringely has some interesting ideas about what if all means

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20051013.html

One intresting idea he mentions: a DVD-movie kiosks located in, say, the GAP or other retailers where one takes one's video iPod, downloads a movie to it and takes the movie home . . . no return needed etc.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #36
Wrangler

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051014/video...ions.html?.v=3

Quote:
In a show of unity, five unions representing actors, writers and directors issued a joint call for talks to make sure their members get a cut of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows on Apple's iTunes software.
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #37
MPS Digital Studios

My current iPod, still under warranty, needs to be replaced--I've been having problems. Guess I'll be getting this as a replacement. I may spring for the 60 gb. What I really want to do is figure out how to put my movies on it, including my feature, so I can show people.

heath
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #38
Wrangler

Well that might be cool using the video out jack to a TV set. But if somebody asked me to watch their movie on an iPod with a 2.5" screen and earbuds, I'd tell them to forget it! ;-)
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #39
Major Player

what do you think the battery life is on the new pod when you watch a show for 2 hours?? I would think it would really short.
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

hmmm, a scientific study may be in order! Perhaps I shall buy one and test it...Wait, car payments' due.

heath
Old October 19th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #41
Wrangler

Wow, years after I've been watching feature films on my cell phone, Apple finally brings something to the table.... I'm sooooooooooooooooo impressed. :P
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #42
Major Player

I'm looking forward to the day, where a videofestival is a matter of getting all the video downloaded to your videoPod.

Some analyst has a interesting take on Apple video initiative. It is not movies that is interesting and it is not an effort to compete with DVD's. It is tv on demand with DRM. So If you are interested in per example Simpsons, but only wants a few episodes, then you could get the episodes from iTunes cheaper than getting a whole DVD set. Or you missed an episode of some series, then you could get it from iTunes the day after.

The big issue for Apple is to prove that it is added revenue for the networks, that is not taking anything away from DVD sales.

And there gonna be millions of these devices in a year. Meaning that this pilot could very well be some sort of trojan way of getting the studios to relax on releasing movies on anything else but DVD (or PSP)
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #43
Major Player

Here is David Pogue's review of the iPod.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/18/te...web-pogue.html
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #44
Major Player

I think this guy has hit it on the spot. Very interesting article.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20051013.html
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #45
MPS Digital Studios

Both are great articles. The long-rumored place on Apple's site to put indie movies, videos, etc., would be awesome, as all of us struggling filmmakers, videomakers, etc., know.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News