Video on iPod Now Official - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #46
Wrangler

Video iPod, I Love You

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ve%25wildstrom

Quote:
How is it that Apple manages to stay so far out front in the hotly competitive field of digital entertainment? I think there is actually a surprisingly simple answer: Apple Computer's products and services are designed with the single overarching concern of delivering a great consumer experience.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #47
MPS Digital Studios

I hear rumors that 5th generation iPods will be replaced by the video version:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1344

I have the last black and white screen, so I may not be eligible. I'll try calling though because even the one I have, replaced just last week, is having issues. Apple replaces iPods with exactly the version you bought. Which means my iPod replacements are more than likely refurbished--the Apple guy wouldn't confirm, but other companies said it's likely.

From now on, I'll buy my hardware at 3rd party stores as they just replace the product (cell phones, ipods, etc.). Glad I bought my new cell through Best Buy, because if it breads next year, they don't send me a refurb like my cell provider would, they'd just replace it with the newest, latest and greatest.

heath
Old October 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #48
Trustee

"The video-enabled iPod becomes the vessel for transporting movies from store to home and of course they don't have to be returned"

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20051013.html

that is not a viable business model... you can get far better video quality by downloading the movie over the internet, both legally and illegally, and you don't have to drive anywhere to do it.

apple is not breaking any new ground here... portable video players have been around for several years, and portable dvd players have far better picture quality... at the end of the day, the video ipod is still ugly video on a tiny little screen... the better business model for garbage video on a tiny screen is to be doing it with cell phones, because it's immediate gratification of breaking new content... qualcomm and others are working on that right now.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #49
Wrangler

Hmm... sounds a lot like what people said about the original iPod as they watched it capture 75% of the portable music player market. ;-)

I think the jury is still out on all this. I'm not impressed by the 2.5" screen, and I'm sure there are issues with the compression. But I wouldn't place any bets against Steve Jobs either...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #50
Major Player

On the iPod and video distribution . . .

Video data is video data and it does not care if it is downloaded to the iPod's hard disk or over the internet to the hard disk on a computer. The real quality issue is how that data is compressed.

I don't think the idea is that one would go to a video vending machine, download a film to the iPod, and then watch it on the iPod. I think the idea is that the iPod just provides storage for a film to be played back on some unamed device like the "video express" through one's TV. In that case the iPod's screen size and playback capacity is not much of an issue and 30 or 60GB is more than enough room for high quality video designed for another device. If I am already out for milk and it just takes a few seconds to put video data on my iPod as opposed to a much longer download then the idea would appeal to me.

I watched the first episode on The Night Stalker last night on the iPod and I can't say the screen is ugly. My eyes did not get all that tired, but I am extremely nearsighted.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:03 AM   #51
Wrangler

Over 1 million videos sold

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051031/apple...ales.html?.v=1

Quote:
"Selling 1 million videos in less than 20 days strongly suggests there is a market for legal video downloads," Steve Jobs, chief executive officer, said in a statement. "Our next challenge is to broaden our content offerings, so that customers can enjoy watching more videos on their computers and new iPods."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News