DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Video on iPod Now Official (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/52652-video-ipod-now-official.html)

Peter Wiley October 12th, 2005 12:03 PM

Video on iPod Now Official

Apple has announced a video iPod and you will be able to download TV episodes apparently. ABC is said to be on-board to sell episodes for $1.99 ea. Will have DRM built in.

http://www.macrumors.com/

Peter Wiley October 12th, 2005 12:21 PM

Information is posted to Apple's Web site

www.apple.com

Christopher C. Murphy October 12th, 2005 12:45 PM

I love Apple.

Robert Martens October 12th, 2005 12:53 PM

Hmm...I'm finding it harder and harder to resist these things.

But gimme a break: it's not called the "eyePod"? Come ON.

Peter Wiley October 12th, 2005 12:59 PM

I just downloaded the new iTunes (6) that supports video. There is now a video icon in the source paine. I clicked on it and all of my Rocketboom episodes as well as some video podcasts I have done were all organized with titles etc. and thumbnails. They are displayed agiants a black background and each tumbnail has a neat little reflection that produces a 3d effect in the listing. It's neat.

There is a new Quicktime to deal with the DRM, I suppose.

Jos Svendsen October 12th, 2005 01:40 PM

The new version of quickime has an option for generating video for the vidpods, and now there is video playlists in iTunes.

I am comverting a avi with DV into MPEG4 using tne new quicktime as i write this, as the documentation for iTunes states that any quicktime and MPEG4 video kan be added til iTunes library. And this is a nice feature.

But quicktime 7 on the pc seems to be singlethreaded = no multiprocessor support. And that is silly.

K. Forman October 12th, 2005 01:41 PM

I just downloaded the I tunes too, just so I could look through their TV shows. It won't work, pretty much summing up my experience with Apple. Arrrrrrrrgh!

K. Forman October 12th, 2005 01:47 PM

Ok... I'll amend my last post slightly- only the radio stations work, and they're pretty cool. As far as the rest, still no TV shows!

Peter Wiley October 12th, 2005 01:59 PM

The only TV show that I can find (on the Mac version) as of now is Desparate Housewives with just three episodes.

Gilbert Labossiere October 12th, 2005 02:04 PM

Its 60 GB and 150 hours of video. Do you think it can be used to download from DV cameras for storage?

Shaun Patterson October 12th, 2005 02:08 PM

How revolutionary. /rollseyes

Jos Svendsen October 12th, 2005 02:10 PM

It would be nice to have an DV-adaptor just like the camera adaptor, but these ipods will only play MPEG4 or H.264 video. You have to convert dv-video to watch it on a video iPod.

You could use the device as a storage media for DV video, but you would still need a computer to get the video to the device.

Jos Svendsen October 12th, 2005 02:15 PM

Yøp - iTunes 6 happily gobbles MPEG4 and h.264 encoded video. So now we can do video festivals in iTunes. My converted video is playing just now in iTunes. Nice!

BTW - lots of new HD video on Apples site

K. Forman October 12th, 2005 02:33 PM

I just got off the phone with Apple's tech support, hoping they could direct me to these new show offered for the ipod. After several minutes of going around in circles, we were finally on the same page- sort of. On HER page, there were selctions such as TV shows, and Pixar clips. But not on mine. I did download the newest version of itunes, but video is not a choice for me. Any other pc users with this problem?

PS... You know how to make applesauce? Give me a Mac and I'll show you ;)

Christopher C. Murphy October 12th, 2005 02:44 PM

Their servers are overloaded. If you try and do anything on the video side of things is blank. On the Apple site you can't even click on video links under the iTunes area.

Tomorrow, I bet we'll have access to all the video goodies. They probably have been slammed harder than ever...the iPod is so damn huge!

My opinion? Today is a landmark event for indie producers. We can export our movies and people can easily watch them in the palm of their hand. We've gone from huge theaters that project film to palm sized high rez iPod's...it's all been fun. Now we can create for the "little screen" and the "big screen"!

Taken from Apple's specs:

* Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

* Upgradable firmware enables support for future video formats

I've read it also has video out!

Those specs make for a decent experience on a bus...or sitting in a park watching a movie. If you have a movie playing on the iPod...it'll actually look and sound great!

......and last, but not least!

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutor...tingvideo.html

Whoa!