Canon 5Ds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 5th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #1
Wrangler

Canon 5Ds

The Beans: 50 megapixels. 1080 video. $3700.
Ditching any attempt at pro video. No headphone jack. No hdmi out (?!?)

Canon Announces EOS 5DS, 5DS R at DV Info Net
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Unregistered Guest

Re: Canon 5Ds

B&H website says "designed with the still photographer in mind". There's no way the full-frame 50.6 megapixel sensor in this would be usable for video, even if other aspects of the camera were.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Well it would be if it was 8k! :)
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

To wit, re: video...

Quote:
The EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras continue the EOS Movie tradition with the ability to shoot in 1080p Full HD up to 30p or 720p HD video up to 60p. A creative Time Lapse Movie function, a first for EOS cameras, takes a continuous series of still photographs and automatically combines them in camera into a Full HD movie file. Interval adjustments can be set from one second to 99 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. The number of shots possible range from 2 to 3,600 with a maximum of two minutes and 30 seconds of playback time. In addition, high-speed continuous shooting up to five-frames-per-second (fps) at full 50 megapixel resolution allows users to capture fast action.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #5
Unregistered Guest

It can do video, but it likely won't do video well. Low light performance must be terrible with a 50.6mp sensor. It's better for a still photographer who needs the high resolution instead of a videographer who needs low light capability.
Old February 6th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Wrangler

Agreed... More like a medium format buster.
Old February 6th, 2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Pixels, pixels, whose got the pixels?

At this point, I'd like more dynamic range from Canon. I love a good auto-focus (we have the 70D), and would adore better low light performance (we have the 5dmark ii). Having both in one camera would be great. A distant 4th for me is in-camera 4K.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

This is a great day for landscape photographers. Couple the 5DS with the new EF 11-24mm f/4L and you've really got something. Shooting at night? Get a tripod and use a long shutter.

Regarding video timelapse, given enough time between frames, the DSP should be able to capture all the pixels, filter them to a nice HD image and encode before the next image is captured. The result could be very nice with minimal aliasing - assuming that they've implemented it well. One could make an 8K timelapse, but it looks like that will continue to be a manual operation.
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Still hoping, possibly naively, for the possibility of a 5DC....
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Wrangler

I'm wondering if the lessening of the importance in video in the 5D means they'll try to push more video shooters to the C100+ series.

Though like Brian said, a 5Dc would be interesting indeed... except the whole part of the DSLR form factor sucking for video. But interesting. And somewhat brand muddling.
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
Still hoping, possibly naively, for the possibility of a 5DC....
I'm hoping that the 7Dii would drop in price by 1/3. Don't think it is going to happen, but I'd me a lot more interested in it for it was $1,200 vs $1,800.
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm more surprised that the M3 didn't make it to the US. (With the current exchange rate, I'm especially surprised.)

I have an EOS-M and really like the form factor. Add a pancake lens and it's like having a crop DSLR in a point-and-shoot size. You lose the mirror, so there's no optical finder, but if you shoot video, who needs the mirror anyway?

In some ways, a video-optimized M model would make more sense than a hopped up video DSLR. Yes, the form factor is still not ideal for video, but if you want something that totes easily and can do both stills and video, a mirrorless cam isn't a bad solution. Yes, the C100 is way better, but try sliding that into your pocket. With the right accessories, one could build a nice, lightweight shoulder setup with a mirrorless camera too. The less weight, the better.

Then again, I don't expect that the M3 is that camera. I assume that it has the same old aliasing and rolling shutter issues that date back to the 7D.

How about an M3C? :)
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Wrangler

Jon, I have a EOS M as well and quite like it. I think it did terrible in the North American market though. Remember it was like $800 when it came out. I got mine for $300 new... which is maybe why I like it. :)
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

We got ours during the same sale.:) FWIW, the 22mm lens is surprisingly good for such a tiny piece of plastic and glass.

I still use the 5D2 for video over the EOS M, unless I'm packing really light. Why? 1) The 5D2 has superior signal to noise, and 2) I have the Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter for the 5D2. But if I could get similar S/N an no aliasing on the crop-sensor M, I'd just go with that. (And I'd buy a few more at $300/each!)
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #15
Trustee

I'm really looking for a good hybrid. The C100 almost does it - expecially the mark 2 - if only I could get better than 1920x1080 jpegs. I was dragging around a 5D2, and a C100 last week trying to shoot RAW stills and ProRes video - all while trying to be in stealth mode - and working alone. I've got to do the same next week and will just use the 5D.

I've thought about going to the 5D mark 3 as I can get HDMI out to a ninja - but I'm hooked on the enhanced audio and form factor of the C100 - and I'd rather get a better in camera video codec. I love the ninja, but I'm always worried that the internal HDMI port on the camera is going to fail under strain - and it does make the cameras so top heavy.

I'm looking at the recently price lowered 1DC, but even at 8k, it is still lacking peaking, zebras, and XLR...

Sooo... I'm thinking/hoping that our friends at Canon have something in the works.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News