DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Samsung NX1 versus Panasonic LX100 in 4K in Good to Very Dim Light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/527099-samsung-nx1-versus-panasonic-lx100-4k-good-very-dim-light.html)

Mark Rosenzweig March 1st, 2015 08:03 PM

Samsung NX1 versus Panasonic LX100 in 4K in Good to Very Dim Light

This is a 4K video comparison of the Samsung NX1 and the Panasonic LX100.

The science: The advantages of the Samsung NX1 over the Panasonic LX100 (and GH4) are:

1.The NX1 sensor is larger: APS-C versus m43. More light (and shallower DOF, but that is a taste issue).

2.The NX1 sensor is back-side illuminated: More light.

3.The NX1 samples from the large sensor to get 4K. The LX100 (and GH4) crops the sensor - no sampling. Better color?

4.The NX1 uses a more efficient codec, so there is effectively more information per unit of time; ie, effectively less compression artifacts.

But does any of this matter?

I used the 16-50mm S lens on the NX1, which is equivalent to the lens on the LX100. Both are f2.8 at the long end. I shot so that both lenses were at f2.8, and around 65mm-equivalent. There are four clips from each camera, the first at ISO200, the second at ISO320, the third at ISO1600 and the fourth at ISO3200 (LX100) and ISO5000(NX1). The first shot in each same-ISO sequence is from the LX100. The two cameras were mounted side-by-side, which is why the shot angles are slightly different. Shutter-priority mode at 1/60th, Standard Picture Profiles for each.

The 4K clips were edited in PowerDirector 13 Ultra, which accommodates both H265 (NX1) and H264 (LX100) 4K clips natively on the same timeline. No alteration of the original clips was performed. The video was rendered in XAVC S 4K at 100Mbps.

Jack Zhang March 1st, 2015 11:48 PM

Re: Samsung NX1 versus Panasonic LX100 in 4K in Good to Very Dim Light

#4: Not necessarily. H.265 at lower bitrates throws away more data in subtle changes in color gradients (a blue sky for example) It would therefore not hold up to grading, same as AVCHD.

H.265 also does not have a broadcast production compliant profile yet. This is why XAVC is still H.264.

Noa Put March 2nd, 2015 08:29 AM

Don't you get confused Mark which camera to take with you when you go out shooting? :)
The nx1 looks like it's having a warmer tone or color, Samsung seems to be making a good start with this camera with quick firmware updates to fix issues. Imagewise the lx100 seems to be holding up very well.

Ken Ross March 2nd, 2015 10:27 AM

I'd need to see more samples to see which produces a truly better picture and by how much.

The bottom line is to trade up from the LX100 to such a larger and heavier camera, requires a thoughtful approach to the size vs PQ equation.

Of course the NX1 has interchangeable lenses, but if you're traveling, there are important considerations of size & weight.

If I saw there was a sizeable increase in PQ, that might push me to the larger, heavier camera, but I haven't seen (for me) that necessary increase quite yet.

As a side note, I had the pleasure of watching some of my LX100 footage on a 77" UHD OLED. The PQ was utterly stunning. You'd have a hard time complaining about any aspect of the LX100's PQ when viewed on a display like this. :)

Werner Graf March 4th, 2015 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1878462)
Don't you get confused Mark which camera to take with you when you go out shooting? :)
The nx1 looks like it's having a warmer tone or color, Samsung seems to be making a good start with this camera with quick firmware updates to fix issues. Imagewise the lx100 seems to be holding up very well.

Wait Magic Latern is on Board with SAMSUNG ...