BlackMagic - URSA Mini - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: BlackMagic - URSA Mini

Have they given a release date yet?
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dave,

With you on the DVX200 front too - was really hoping Panasonic would knock the ball out of the park...spec. details are still coming in...but it's not looking like the game changer I hoped it might be.

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and order the C300MkII after all - gulp!

Marc,

July availability... I think...but this is BMD so who knows which year and how long after it will take for the firmware bugs to be worked out...they have a lot of "previous" in that area (unfortunately).
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I'm about out of hope for holding onto the m43 format at this point. Looks like there may be a C100/300 or FS7 in my future. Really intrigued by the design of the URSA mini though... I don't see myself working with a matte box for the bulk of the material I need to shoot - but could maybe just outfit key lenses with variable NDs...
Dave Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #19
Trustee

Official Info:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...kmagicursamini

Other info talking about the options. Theirs no built in ND filters and when you add some of the options such as the newer sensor, the price can get much higher.
Blackmagic Announces Lighter URSA Mini with 4.6K Sensor & 15 Stops of Dynamic Range
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I suspect heat will be a from the computer processioning limitation in such a small camera, plus it has a larger camera in the range. This camera has the same sensor as the Usra and assuming it records RAW, it should fit into a very low budget scenario. You want a larger pixel sensor for downscaling for resolution reasons.
Actually this is a completely different sensor than the URSA. 4.6K. I think it's the CMOSIS CMV20000. That can only go as high as 30p in 5K in Global Shutter mode.

Dave, the DVX200 was so close yet so far. The lack of 4:2:2 internal recording is what really kills it for me. Great for web people, not so great for broadcast. But hey, if they make a HVX with the same lens and somewhat different P2Express capable body...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I love black magic, but will probably never buy one of their cameras. They just don't fit my needs, but they are disruptive and innovative, which is great for the consumer.

I can almost guarantee the C100 mkII doesn't get 60p or a wonderful EVF without feeling heat from some of the competition.
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

True, this sensor seems be available as an upgrade to the Ursa, which now also has a 4.6k sensor..

"There will now be two versions of the URSA, one using the original sensor. And there will be a version incorporating the new sensor. Existing URSA owners can completely upgrade their new cameras to the new specification with an upgrade that costs $2000."
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The 4.6k also allows 120fps in 4k.
They say release July in small numbers, then good numbers end of August. Viewfinder in July.
Footage looks pretty decent (as much as you can judge anything on the web).
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hold on, what?

It said it can only do 30p in global shutter mode. How can the bigger URSA body do 120p? If it is the CMOSIS sensor, it would still be limited and not be able to reach 120fps in rolling shutter mode.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #25
Trustee

BMD seems to come out with what appear to be great products, But after reading this forum for several years, it always seems that there's an asterisk after every product and that they never seem to get anything 100% right. Just my opinion, but that's how it looks to me.
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Actually this is a completely different sensor than the URSA. 4.6K. I think it's the CMOSIS CMV20000. That can only go as high as 30p in 5K in Global Shutter mode.
Actually, it looks more like the BAE/Fairchild LTN4625A.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Anyone see the video where he explains why it doesn't have built-in ND filters......doesn't make sense at all claiming there'd be a huge lump at front of cam. The Sony FS7 doesn't have that issue?
Also, the $2,995 version is for the original URSA sensor which has had it's fair share of reported image problems.
I really want to love Black Magic, they come out with great ideas but executing them properly seems to be a real issue.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Hold on, what?

It said it can only do 30p in global shutter mode. How can the bigger URSA body do 120p? If it is the CMOSIS sensor, it would still be limited and not be able to reach 120fps in rolling shutter mode.
Yeah I was assuming that it would be like the Mini and do the full 120fps only in rolling shutter mode, but who knows!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #29
Inner Circle

There's an EVF available for both URSA cameras: New Viewfinder for the Blackmagic URSA by Brian Hallett

Since this has a SDI input, I assume you'll be able to use it with other cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #30
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
There's an EVF available for both URSA cameras: New Viewfinder for the Blackmagic URSA by Brian Hallett

Since this has a SDI input, I assume you'll be able to use it with other cameras.
Yes, but where does it get its power? Will other cameras be able to supply power to the EVF? Not sure what a "standard" power connector is.

And the lack of ND filters is baffling. Having used an FS100 for years, an ND filter wheel is very much appreciated. The reasons given are BS. Many other S35 cameras have managed to include them. BMC is promoting its versatility as a do-all camera, even good for shoulder-mount run n' gun, but without ND filters, this becomes a bothersome quirk.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News