DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Nebula in NAB 2015 Show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/527807-nebula-nab-2015-show.html)

Iris Zhang April 14th, 2015 07:48 AM

Nebula in NAB 2015 Show

The world-renowned NAB Show has lifted the curtain in Las Vegas. As an influential gyro stabilizer leading brand in the world, Nebula created by Filmpower has appeared in the core position of NAB Central Pavilion--C7137.
This time, Nebula shows extraordinary talents at NAB exhibition and is very dazzling, not only because Nebula has been committed to creating professional products that promotes the development of global industry and changes the revolution of photography, but also because the important position of Nebula in the global market has been fully demonstrated at this exhibition. Numerous users are attracted by its reputation from all over the world. They stop their pace and experience the wonderful feelings that Nebula brings to them!
Nebula made by Filmpower is created from Nebula 5000. This is the first SLR-level handheld stabilizer and serves as a pioneer in domestic gyro stabilizers. Meanwhile, Filmpower shifted its focus to San Francisco, California, USA in 2014 and set up Filmpower Inc, which was led by the City of Science and Technology in USA and formed integrated global operations in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shenzhen. At present, Nebula owns gyro stabilizer series which are beyond reach of the industry, including the pioneering Nebula 5000, Nebula 6000 with the highest specifications in the industry, cost-effective Nebula 5200, hot Nebula 4000 and supporting Nebula folding arms. Nebula series are fashionable around the world with their innovative design and perfect user experience!
At present, Nebula series have local agent channels in USA, UK, France, Sweden, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Russia, UAE, Turkey, Israel, Romania, South Africa, Indonesia, India and so on. Wherever you go, you can see the dynamic figure of Nebula users.
Since Nebula 4000 came into the market throughout the world, it has been sought after wildly by global users. It completely overturns the original shooting mode, introduces a new innovative and revolutionary shooting mode into the industry and sparks numerous flurries.
Based on innovation, Nebula is dedicated to creating professional products with independent intellectual property rights. At present, Nebula 4000, Nebula Arm and Nebula Twin Arm have already obtained Chinese patents and meanwhile applied for PCT patents in USA and other contracting states, to maximize the protection of intellectual property rights. Filmpower will spare no efforts, contribute more top products and lead global trend in the industry!
Filmpower Inc.

Dylan Couper April 14th, 2015 08:40 AM

Re: Nebula in NAB 2015 Show

I'll pop by your booth and see what the deal with these are.

Iris Zhang April 16th, 2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1883350)
I'll pop by your booth and see what the deal with these are.

Welcome to visit, you could live to experience Nebula 4000.

Andrew Dean April 20th, 2015 06:17 PM

I worked on a music video last week and the director showed up with a nebula 4000 new in the box. It only took us around 5 minutes to get it balanced and ready to shoot, which was quite good. It was a nice little unit and worked well with a gh4. Wish it was tool-less, but i wish all gimbles were tool-less.

Murray Christian April 21st, 2015 01:30 PM

Now that is a cool piece of kit with a nice price. I wonder what it goes for after the Australia Tax gets added on.

Iris Zhang April 25th, 2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Christian (Post 1884068)
Now that is a cool piece of kit with a nice price. I wonder what it goes for after the Australia Tax gets added on.

We will soon have a dealer in Australia. Meanwhile, if you want to order one, you can go to our website at this link: Filmpower Inc.

John Wiley April 26th, 2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Christian (Post 1884068)

Murray, I just used one on a shoot over the weekend. The producer turned up with it and said he wanted me to try it out and give him some feedback on it. He told me it was $900 once shipped from the USA - I wonder if the Australian dealers will be able to match that or if we'll be better off buying overseas (as seems to be the case with pretty much any purchases under the import tax-free threshold of $1000)

Noa Put April 27th, 2015 12:42 AM

It's weird as it looks my previous comment was deleted but I"ll ask it again, are there any plans to make a understandable instruction how to finetune the parameters of the software? Basic balancing is the easy part but dialing in the right settings is the most important to get a smooth moving gimbal. The current instruction video by filmpower is very unclear as it includes google translated text which often makes no sense.

Chris Hurd April 27th, 2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1884675)
It's weird as it looks my previous comment was deleted...

You had another post in a separate thread that was almost identical to this one. That thread was withdrawn from public view because it re-posted copyrighted material published by a competitor, and the conversation was very nearly the same as *this* thread anyway. Sorry about the confusion.

Buba Kastorski April 27th, 2015 05:22 PM

i really want this gimbal, if i could only try it before spending cash :)

Noa Put April 28th, 2015 01:08 AM

I have been able to try it for a few days but eventually returned it to another user, I was able to get some very solid movement out of it (see also my video below) that was better in some ways then what I could achieve with my blackbird, especially when it came to tilt controll.

There where 2 things however that made me decide not to keep it, the supplier has a long video online explaining how to balance, the actual balancing of the camera part was pretty easy and straightforward but that alone doesn't balance the unit properly, I was getting some sideways vibrations (see also video below) that was mostly possible to filter out with with Edius build in stabilizer, this shake or any other odd behavior you will encounter is possible to smooth out but you need to dive into the parameters of the included software and dial in your own settings.

Here is where my frustration started to build because there is no clear instruction available explaining every single parameter and what it exactly does, personally I would expect something like: if your unit does "this", then try to adjust that. Filmpower does cover that part in their video but it's very unclear, they use google translate to add additional text trying to explain what they do but it only makes it worse as often those text does not make sense. They had better hired a professional translator to do this part.

Whatever I tried to do, it only seemed to make it worse so I eventually gave up. The unit has been send to another user who has managed to dial in better settings eliminating the issues I was experiencing so it proves it is just a matter of knowing what you need to change.

It is also not just a matter of borrowing someones userprofiles that you can save from the parameters you dial into the software that controls the gimbal because I know a user that had his camera well balanced on his nebula and when he just copied the same settings onto another Nebula using the same camera it was not as smooth anymore so it looks like every single unit needs to have it's own settings.

The second reason why I did not want to keep it is was because there is no hard stop on the handle when you turn it, you can just keep spinning that thing around, I have a Feiyu g4 which only allows the handle to turn to a certain position before it locks so that one you can never keep on turning.

The main problem you can get with this is that after a while of use you might turn the handle too many times into the wrong direction causing the internal wiring to break, I have seen filmpower accusing users on dvxuser who had failing units, that they had turned the handle too many times so it looks like this can be a potential problem which is not covered in the warranty.

My end conclusion was after a few days of usage: It's a very good stabilizer IF you know how to finetune the parameters and IF you take very good care not to turn the handle or other parts into the wrong direction too much.

I still want such a unit but will be waiting for either a Nebula v2 that deals with this "handle" problem and when they have a much better instruction how to balance the unit or I might wait for some competition who might even do better, so far I have seen one competitor which I won't name here but it remains to be seen how good that one is.

Another thing to mention which is also important when you buy this unit, you can order directly from Filmpower or you can buy it from camera motion research who sells the units as well. I would strongly advise to buy from CMR, it's not that they are selling a better product, it's exactly the same unit but they are much easier to communicate with if you have a issue and they will also try to help you if you have a problem. They also could act as direct link between you and the supplier in case of a problem and this can only result to getting information to the right persons at Filmpower faster and easier then you ever will be able to when you have to deal with "someone" at filmpower directly.

With filmpower, like any other far east supplier I have bought products from in the past, my only experience is that communication in English can be very troublesome, to say the least. They often misunderstand you, give you standard answers that have nothing to do with your questions and eventually just say "return the unit and we will have a look". The problem is that you need to pay for the returning costs which can add up quickly if you need to send to the other side of the world.

Sideways vibration: (password: test)

Andrew Dean April 28th, 2015 01:42 AM

This was the shoot we did with the nebula. Worked well.

Jim Andrada April 30th, 2015 07:04 PM

I have the same concern re turning the handle too much. I think I'll try to rig up a stop of some kind

The other thing it really needs is a way to lock it so it doesn't flop all over the place when it's powered off. Again I think I can rig up something to lock it.

Oh yeah - definitely needs a better way to adjust balance.

Having said all that I find it quite useful and with a bit of practice you can get some very nice stabilization. I was thinking of getting a slider but I'm finding I can do pretty much everything with the Nebula I would use the slider for and it's a lot more convenient to carry around.

Noa Put May 1st, 2015 02:24 AM

Yes, for run and gun the Nebula is a much better option to mimic steadicam, crane and slider moves and even tripod like shots. The only problem is that you need to shut down the nebula every time you make adjustments on your camera, my experience was that it doesn't like to be touched when active :)

Maybe filmpower could respond to some concerns that have been raised here?

Iris Zhang May 2nd, 2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 1884777)
This was the shoot we did with the nebula. Worked well.

Jody Direen - TOGETHER - YouTube

I love this song. Absolutely awesome.