Dolby Vision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dolby Vision

Brad Bird's "Tomorrowland" opens next week. It will be shown in selected theaters using the new Dolby Vision EDR system (4k projection with laser illumination). It will also be released in Imax and in d-cinema 4k at theaters with suitable projection. Shot using Sony's F-65 from the full sensor with Claudio Miranda as DP.

I will be curious to see what everyone's response to this new exhibition format will be.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Dolby Vision

Nice! Any indication of which theaters will show it? I did some searches but it wasn't clear which theaters have the various levels of Dolby (Atmos, Vision, whatever...) It looks like there is a partnership with AMC (which isn't in my area), but it's not clear if that's exclusive.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The first four will be at AMC theaters in Burbank, Atlanta, Houston and Kansas City. Phase two will include sites in Los Angeles Century City, New York, and second sites in Houston and Kansas City. The El Cap in LA has had it installed for the premiere.

Will get to see the film in a couple of days from a 4k DCP with Atmos, but no laser projection.
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Paul,

I saw the Christie laser projector demo at NAB, but it was shown on the open floor, rather than in a dark room. I could see the extended colors well, but HDR wasn't obvious in that setting.

Cinetopia in Portland OR/Vancouver WA is aggressive about high end presentation. I wonder how long it will be before they upgrade. I look forward to seeing this in a dark setting with a movie ticket rather than an airline ticket. :)

An interesting thing about narrow band colors is that it is susceptible to metamerism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)

Consider the blue/black or white/gold dress: Whoa wow wow!
The idea is that our eyes detect R, G & B over a broad set of wavelengths and individual responses are different. Real objects emit light at unique wavelengths. When we represent reality with RGB (rather than their real wavelengths which might be between or outside of R, G and B) with broad spectra, the system is forgiving. When the R, G & B wavelengths are very narrow, various people might see very different colors.

Envision a haystack shape as the eye response at, say, green. Now imagine a narrow spike (the laser frequency) at the center of the haystack. With the spike centered, the responses match. Now imagine that the haystack moves to the left or right. Now the spike falls on the slope of the haystack and the response is different. That could cause difficulty.

On the other hand, when the display RGB is haystack like, moving the eye response a bit left or right is forgiving. The color tends not to fall off the cliff.

I'm curious about if this effect will be rare or common for laser projector systems. Will people leave the theater talking about the movie or will they argue about the color of the dress?

Whoa wow wow!
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We've looked at the effects of metamerism (there are variances not only between individuals, but between the genders) since the early tests of laser illumination. You should have heard the discussions the first time a color timing session was attempted using these. The trend is towards 6p laser systems (6 primaries) to produce a broader spectrum and a more uniform acceptable color rendering across the populace.

The Christie laser projection system is at the core of Dolby Vision, but the regular projectors will not reproduce the EHD image. There's a special sauce in that thar Dolby projector.

BTW, saw "Tomorrowland" from 4k DCP in 4k standard projection. Shot on the F65 at native res with Claudio Miranda as DP. Stunning.
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I should note that at NAB, I didn't see anything that struck me at a metamerism issue. All of the colors looked as I would expect them to look in the context of the image. I didn't see any blue grass, green skies or blue/gold dresses. :)

I should contact the owner of Cinetopia here in Vancouver, WA to learn about their plans. They had one of the first Atmos installations and have been consistently dedicated to a top quality experience. They also had 48 fps 3D ready for The Hobbit. AMC might have first dibs on Dolby Vision, but I would guess that Cinetopia will be among the next in line.

Frequently Asked Questions | CINETOPIA
Vinotopia – Vancouver, WA | CINETOPIA
Old May 24th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Non-technical review: 'Tomorrowland' in Dolby Cinema: the best picture I've seen in a theater - CNET

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News