HXR-NX100: 1'' sensor NXCAM - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 6th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: HXR-NX100: 1'' sensor NXCAM

There is a clear lack of buttons on the underside of the LCD. It may just be touchscreen.

To see this with a Fujinon lens would be pretty good as a higher up model. Hope they also solve the highlight issues and skew in a future model
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #32
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Sony are really milking this core platform.
Yet they still haven't released an NX5 replacement, maybe the NX7. 1080p60, 28 Mbit/s AVCHD, XAVC on cheap SDHC cards and 25x optical zoom is all I'm asking for ;-)

Last edited by Unregistered Guest; June 7th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #33
Trustee

I wonder what the chances are of this camera getting the Sony PXW-X70-style 4k software upgrade treatment in the future.

Or...Sony just might have the 4k big brother version of this ready by then.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Looks like an AX100 in the bigger body, without 4K. Controls seem less than the FDR-AX1 or PXW-Z100 but a bit of what is in the X70 like picture profiles etc.

Ron Evans

Size seems very close to the NX5. I was thinking something like Canon AX20, but this NX100 it's very very similar to my AX2000 (NX5 cousin). It's quite big.

This new wave of one sensor (Video & Photo cams to record video) makes me thinking what happens with 3 sensor cams.
It's the end of this kind of machines?
Actually, 1 sensor gives the same or better quality than 3 sensors? Almost all film cameras are 1 sensor?

Specifications

HXR-NX100
General
Mass Approx. 1900 g (4 lb 3 oz) (body)
Approx. 2100 g (4 lb 10 oz) (with lens hood, eyecup, NP-F770 battery)
Dimensions (W × H × D)*1 171.3 × 187.8 × 371.3 mm (6 3/4 × 7 3/8 × 14 5/8 inches)

Good points of this cam:
1.- Battery system. By far the best price / quality / duration of all brands. Canon & Panasonic batteries aren't good as Sony ones. And this model, NP-F970, are the best of the best. Batteries from the nineties... still works. Recharge resistance is amazing. Hard to believe. Sony rulez in this field.

2.- 1" sensor size. Good for background blur & good for sharp focus. Not critical as full frame sensor (in a run&gun situations). Somebody says it's an RX10 photo camera in a NXCAM body. We'll have to find out if the same sensor.

3.- Ergonomics very similar to the Sony HDR-FX1, Z5, NX5, NX3, etc. This is excellent. This is a strong point.

4.- Updated codec, XAVC S 50Mbps. It's better than AVCHD (five years old). It's a step forward.

5.- Estimated price: less than 2K. This price hurts Panasonic and Canon counterparts (Panasonic 90 and Canon AX20).

Bad points:
1.- No SDI output or version with it (like Canon AX25).

2.- No 4K. This is relative because the price is so low. But we are in 4K world more than 2K. Let's see what happens with firmware updates.

3.- 12x optical zoom. Hmmmmm, the same as the old HDV tape cam FX1. Ten years later... 14x or 16x if the can't put 20x. When you try 20x (it's basic) you can't go backwards. It's a big fault and I accept that the big sensor and the price is the key.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #35
Inner Circle

It seems an interesting packaging of what is likely the CX900. The AX100 I have has Clear image zoom so that 12x zoom can be 24x zoom and it works very well more range than my NX5U and in most instances a better image quality so don't let the zoom range bother you. XAVC-S is also better than the AVCHD that the NX5U has so comparing 60P XAVC-S from the AX100 with 60i from the NX5U the AX100 wins !!! I will look at it when it comes out and may offer a lower cost replacement for my NX5U.

I have SDI on the NX5U and never used it so no loss. As far as 4K is concerned for me it would need to be 60P and I do not think that Sony will do that on this range of camera.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #36
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel Arturo View Post
12x optical zoom. Hmmmmm, the same as the old HDV tape cam FX1. Ten years later... 14x or 16x if the can't put 20x. When you try 20x (it's basic) you can't go backwards. It's a big fault and I accept that the big sensor and the price is the key.
I'd consider one of these for less than $2,000 if it wasn't for the limited zoom.
Old June 29th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #37
Major Player

Looking at this guy, even though I'm trying to go smaller on camera size... having something in a similar layout to my NX5... that uses the same batteries which I have a ton of, would be nice. If it's around $2,000 may have to look at getting one.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:35 AM   #38
Major Player

NX100 is $1,699

A very nice price...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156385-REG/sony_hxr_nx100.html
I had almost talked myself into picking up some CX900s this week for $1,300... but now that I see this, I'd much rather have the NX100 external controls and 3 rings for $400 more.

I've not had any issues working with the 50mbps XAVCs from the Sony a7s and have been able to do a good amount of post to those files, and I assume this one will have the same abilities.

I should add, I spent a lot of time at Best Buy this past week, and the focus on the CX900s was very slow to lock on... I'd imagine that in the NX100 it would be quicker since it's newer and has a more "pro" style build. Will def have to check it out first.

Last edited by Kyle Root; September 3rd, 2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:17 PM   #39
Major Player

Wow I didn't expect that price. Now I'm tempted to get one and use it for all the small jobs next year. Thanks for the update.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:49 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Re: NX100 is $1,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post

I should add, I spent a lot of time at Best Buy this past week, and the focus on the CX900s was very slow to lock on... I'd imagine that in the NX100 it would be quicker since it's newer and has a more "pro" style build. Will def have to check it out first.
I have a AX100, NX30, CX700 and for me the way to focus is with Spot touch focus. Is fast and accurate in my uses on all these cameras. I just hope the NX100 has a touch screen with touch focus and then it would be good replacement for my NX5U.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:13 PM   #41
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Wow I didn't expect that price. Now I'm tempted to get one and use it for all the small jobs next year.
That's a great price! Maybe I'll get one to use with my NX5U for multicam shoots, or likewise with small jobs. Since this has a much bigger sensor and newer refined electronics, I hope it will have much better low light capability compared to the NX5U.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:29 PM   #42
Major Player

Hmm... CX900 or NX100? Or AX100? Or X70? And why? Or wait another 6 months and see what they come up with next! ;-)
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:50 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Arszyla View Post
That's a great price! Maybe I'll get one to use with my NX5U for multicam shoots, or likewise with small jobs. Since this has a much bigger sensor and newer refined electronics, I hope it will have much better low light capability compared to the NX5U.
I wouldn't expect too much. I have an NX5U as well as NX30U, CX700, XR500, AX100 and AX1. As expected the 4K AX1 is the least sensitive for low light but there is little difference between the XR500, CX700, NX30U and the AX100 if anything they are slightly better in low light than the AX100 and all less than the NX5U thought they all have lower noise levels than the NX5U. I doubt whether the NX100 has a different performance than the AX100/CX900 as it is likely a repackaged CX900 with 3 ring lens. I just hope they have retained the touch screen for things like touch focus. I will certainly look at it if it does have a touch screen otherwise not. These little cameras respond well to touch focus and I would love that feature on my NX5U and a must for any other camera I get.
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #44
Major Player

I used my ax100 yesterday on a Corp shoot. Shot avchd and just reviewed the footage. All 12db and under stuff was fantastic and this camera would've made the job so much easier. Would've preferred using it at a summer camp I helped with filming for a week. I think Sony nailed this camera with the 3 rings and easy operational body at a remarkable $1700. Time to put in an order. The BNC connection out is SD resolution?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Hmm... CX900 or NX100? Or AX100? Or X70? And why? Or wait another 6 months and see what they come up with next! ;-)

Would be nifty to see a very detailed comparison between all these 1" options, there are so many! (Especially of you throw in RX10 / RX10 mk2 / FZ100 / etc)
David Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News