Smaller package, same big price at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 6th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Smaller package, same big price

GoPro Shrinks the Camera Again: Hero4 Session Review - WSJ

GoPro Inc., the popular maker of tiny video cameras, is making them even tinier.

How tiny? The new GoPro Hero4 Session is the size of an ice cube, about half that of previous GoPros. It can fit into the spokes of a bike, hang onto the end of a fishing pole or turn a toddler into a documentary filmmaker.

The Session goes on sale July 12, and GoPro gave me one to try over the past week. It isn’t the best-quality camera GoPro has ever made, but it’s so small and simple, I’m likely to keep using it.

Just brace for the sticker shock: $400. That’s the same price as an Apple Watch, not to mention last year’s Hero4 Silver, which has a touch screen and better picture quality.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Smaller package, same big price

They are going to put a lot of people off with the 2-hour non-removable battery.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Matt... they won't be mad about the battery because they'll still be busy being mad over the $400 price tag. :)
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah, I don't quite get what this camera is for, really. One person speculated this is the camera they'll be putting on their own UAV.

For now, all I can think of is the pitch:

"Our all NEW GoPro! For people who thought the others were too bulky and heavy!"

This new guy is about 2/3rds as wide (1.5 inches instead of 2.3), same height... and cuts off about a pound of weight. Now, I'm out of shape, but a 20 ounce camera was never really my problem. I think I'd still rather get a Silver or do what I did and grab a Black model factory refurb for the same price.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

"Adding lightness" will be helpful for extreme sports. If you're snowboarding with a camera on your helmet, every ounce counts. Also, lowering the mass will help reduce shake for any given stiffness of the camera mount.

And yeah, a couple hours won't get you through a long day of narrative or documentary shooting, but it will get you those runs down the hill or that killer lap on the track. You don't need two hours of footage from your POV camera to edit a three minute YouTube skateboard piece.

My guess is that if you asked extreme sports people if they'd rather have a smaller lighter camera or more battery life that "lightness" would win hands down.
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No way to set the camera except via WiFi and no HDMI port.

At that price, I at least expect an HDMI port. (ESPECIALLY for drone use)

But don't worry, SJCAM is already ripping them (and Polaroid) off for $110.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Size restricts the features you can fit. Quite possibly, when the R & D costs are covered, the price will drop, but it does seem to be a niche product.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Matt... they won't be mad about the battery because they'll still be busy being mad over the $400 price tag
And they won't be mad about the $400 price tag because they'll still be busy being mad that it's only 1080p.

-- peer
Old July 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #9
Trustee

A Qi charging function would seem like a good addition. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Now, I'm out of shape, but a 20 ounce camera was never really my problem. .
It will make a big difference for surfers who routinely clench it between their teeth for a POV angle.

The smaller size makes it safer to wear with a leash too - during a wipeout, the standard versions can do quite a bit of damage if they swing around or spring back on any sort of leash they are attached too. That's why most people prefer to use the floaty-back and retrieve the camera if they drop it, rather than have it attached to them via a leash which can be dangerous.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Trustee

Size matters, and small is what matters when you consider the market that GoPro is aiming for. Majority rules, even if that means a few of us are put off.

I use HERO 3's for production in tight spaces when fixing components in and under big rigs. I can already see a few instances where this new device will benefit, especially when you have to consider how much smaller the external mounting hardware will be, (I've already ran into a few spots that required drastic measures to get a HERO 3 to fit). I bet that a well chewed stick of gum is all that's needed for mounting. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News