Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 20th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Sony 4K Consumer FDR-AX53 Camcorder - Announced at CES

Hi everyone, i was about to bite the bullet on the AX33 last week, then i happened upon this new AX53 model due for release soon, and i am loving it so much, especially this BOSS stabilization.

however, i just now find out in another forum that the BOSS Active mode does not work in 4k mode.

So can i please ask if someone can explain exactly how the Stabilization works in both 1080p mode, and in 4k mode, because clearly the system does not function fully in 4k mode.

Cheers
Glen Pinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:34 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I think there may be some confusion between the BOSS gimbal stabilization and additional DIGITAL stabilization?

There is no mechanical reason that BOSS shouldn't work in 4K, but potentially you would not have additional pixels on the sensor for digital stabilization post sensor (plus there would be a "few" more pixels to manipulate for the 4K vs a 1080p image). I only tried the AX33 briefly, and it seemed quite steady when shooting 4K, the magic eyeball was doing it's thing from what I could tell.

The AX53 looks like a big improvement image quality wise over the AX33, will be interested to see how it is when put up against the AX100 with the larger sensor - so far the "small sensor" 4K output has been pretty disappointing.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I think the logical next step is a 16:9 1'' video only sensor, possibly in a 4K fixed lens replacement to the PXW-X200. However, expect the only 1 stop loss throughout the zoom range from the XDCAM handhelds to be going away.

NAB will be all about HDR and Rec.2020 ready cameras. 10bit 4:2:2 with any luck will be mandatory even with Long-GOP codecs.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:05 AM   #19
New Boot

Thanks, from the footage i have seen with the AX53 as well as the AX33 where they test the BOSS in 4k, it seems pretty dam stable to me, compared to the normal stabilization in other Sony and Panasonic Cams.

Can't wait for it to be released here in Australia, probably well after it arrives in USA (as usual)
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Major Player

I have just the right telextender for this, the Sony DH-1758. It can be adapted with a ring to the 55mm filter thread. I used it in the past with my Sony HC9, even though it has a 37mm filter thread. Image quality was excellent with it. I have a couple of Raynox 2.2X telextenders that do well, but cause vignetting in all but the upper part of the zoom range. The DH-1758 vignettes on most cameras in only the bottom 35% to 40% of the zoom range. You can't buy a new DH1758 any longer, but there's always some used ones on the online selling websites (although sometimes they're priced outrageously high).

I'm wondering how well one of my diopter viewing loupes would ride on that swivel viewscreen. Since I started using them a couple of years ago, I wouldn't want to be without them. One gives a 2.6X magnification and adjusts to a sharp focus, with wall-to-wall clarity. My ability to see small details and judge the focus and exposure is greatly improved.

Of course, with just 8.3 Megapixels, the Active or hybrid OIS/EIS stabilization wouldn't work with 4K, as there's no margin of extra pixels around the active sensing zone. But I expect that it would function with 1080 video and might also give more of a magnification effect.

I'm glad to see it has both a hotshoe and stereo miniplug capability for extra mikes, plus a headphone jack. My stubby little XYS-T1M hotshoe mike has done surprising well on a photo camera and might be an advantage on this camcorder. It picks up no operating noise nor any of the grunts or heavy breathing from me. It's far better than the built-in mikes for distant sounds. Today, I'd have dead-cat windscreens, instead of those nearly-worthless foam socks.

I wouldn't recommend using any of the photo sizes above 8-MP. Those with larger sizes have been extrapolated and you'd just be using up encoding storage and lowering the quality.

Here's a link to an old photo showing the telextender on my HC9, along with a Sony MS907 mini stereo mike and a shoulder-mount. This could all work the same way on an AX-53 with the added possibility of a hotshoe mike.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3222/2...b8fa3cc0_o.jpg
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #21
Major Player

I just realized that this has a touchscreen. This might rule out using a diopter viewing loupe, unless all the necessary functions can be reached by the regular controls.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #22
Trustee

Looking at the blank space on the top of this camera under the hot shoe door and blank area on the bottom side where a headphone jack is missing...I strongly believe a "pro" version of this camera is on the way soon. A model to replace the NXCAM NX30.

Oddly enough...go to Sony.com's Web page for the AX53. Look at those photos! Some show a model with a projector focus over the screen while others show a "projector" button the side of their "AX53".

It seems a projector model did exist but was pulled at the last minute, AFTER marketing photos had already been created. Funny huh?

How much you wanna bet that tge "pro" sister model will have the top handle and projector with it?

Sony has a very long history of releasing a consumer and pro versions of the same basic camcorder.

Can't wait for NAB!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #23
Major Player

A pro model of this AX53 is possible but I think the projector feature is highly unlikely. Unless, again this is also very unlikely, a projector capable of an extremely short-throw and steep-angle beam like the latest compact model launched recently by Sony can somehow be built into the camera.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Oddly enough...go to Sony.com's Web page for the AX53. Look at those photos! Some show a model with a projector focus over the screen while others show a "projector" button the side of their "AX53".

It seems a projector model did exist but was pulled at the last minute, AFTER marketing photos had already been created. Funny huh?
The projector version is the AXP55. Not sold in all markets.

AXP55 4K HandycamŽ with Built-in projector | FDR-AXP55 | Sony Asia Pacific
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #25
Trustee

Nice spot! I'm sure the "pro" version will have the projector in it.

I wonder what the price point will be. It will have to come under the X70. The X70 has SDI out as well as 10bit 1080 and has a good set of picture profiles. I'm guessing this "Pro" AX53/AXP55 sister won't have these X70 features or its IP streaming ability.

Another AX53 question is, how much manual control will Sony allow it? Will it have the classic shutter speed/ gain / Iris cripple? Take your pick of one but the other 2 get forced into auto. Sony won't give you all three at the same time. Classic and old Sony trick ;-)

Very interesting!
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:34 AM   #26
Inner Circle

That projector is a gimmick for the soccermoms who don't do any editing and want to use the camera to see with the family what they shot when they are on holiday, you won't find this back on any "pro" camera, unless any professional could tell me what they would use that feature for? I always thought the x70 was the nx30 replacement?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #27
New Boot

Has anyone found any more info about the lack of BOSS or Active mode stabilization in 4k mode ?

Pretty frustrating, and a lot of confusion going on, and Sony seriously needs to fess up on this topic and clear the air once and for all.

It will obviously have Stabilization, but which one ?
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #28
Trustee

No BOSS stabilization in 4k?

Ouch...wonder if the future pro model will have this limitation.

If not, than this model is still born as far as I'm concerned.
Old February 25th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, check the AVS Forum under camcorders, plenty of information there and many new clips on the AX-55 which is the Asian version of the AX-53 in the USA,
apparently the camera has already been released in Japan. No limitation for BOSS stabilization, the Sony site fails to explain that the 5 axis Stabilization is a NEW I REPEAT A NEW stabilization system that was borrowed from the Ar7II and is of limited value for certain situations only. but the BOSS STABILIZATION WORKS IN BOTH 4K AND HD while the New 5 axis only works for HD. The Sony site does not explain this very well at all and is confusing. Check the AVS Forum under camcorders.

Thanks,
Luis

Last edited by Luis A. Diaz; February 25th, 2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add content
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #30
Inner Circle

There would be no reason that the BOSS optical wouldn't work, as the sensor and lens are moving together with gimbal/gyro stabilization.

Digital stabilization would be a different matter, as it often relies on "spare" pixels that I'm guessing are either not available, or represent too much mathematical manipulation to achieve with the higher resolution.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News