DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon EOS 80D with Power Zoom Adapter, more for videographers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/531192-canon-eos-80d-power-zoom-adapter-more-videographers.html)

Chris Hurd February 17th, 2016 10:24 PM

Canon EOS 80D with Power Zoom Adapter, more for videographers

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

"Canon is also introducing a new EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens optimized for high-speed autofocusing when shooting stills and quiet and smooth zoom when shooting video. The lens is also compatible with Canon’s new Power Zoom Adapter for smooth cinematic ‘pulls’ when changing focal length on a subject, and responsive adjustments at the push of a button for stills or video."
See the full press release and photos here:

Canon EOS 80D, Power Zoom Adapter, Stereo Mic for Video

Brian David Melnyk February 18th, 2016 10:56 AM

Re: Canon EOS 80D with Power Zoom Adapter, more for videographers

The best feature of this camera is that it makes the 70D cheaper.

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2016 12:55 PM

For me it's the long-awaited headphone jack, but yeah.

Robert Benda February 18th, 2016 01:21 PM

Well... I hope the low light performance is at least much, much better. Otherwise, yeah, what's the point? A *slight* up grade to the 70D? A headphone jack and 60fps in 1080?

Give me an iso performance like the 5d mark iii even (usable 6400), and I'd have to consider up grading (I don't know enough to understand exactly what EV-3 will mean in practical terms).

Give me 4k, too, and I'll buy 3 today.

Dylan Couper February 18th, 2016 05:08 PM

I like the angled cable ports!

EDIT: Actually what I really like is how the zoom motor thing gives me a flashback to the L1 (if only it was white).

Greg Boston February 18th, 2016 06:09 PM

I just got the email announcement from Canon. They also have a new directional mic.. DM-E1 but I don't how well it stacks up against offerings from other companies (those who specialize in mics).

Heck, it seems I can add a few of those new goodies to the 70D. The lens, power zoom adapter, and directional mic should all be 70D compatible.

-gb-

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2016 06:19 PM

Indeed, those new items are all compatible with the 70D. The headphone jack is my primary motivator for putting my 70D up for sale and transitioning to the 80D... since I can't justify what I really want, and that is the 1DX Mk. II.

Greg Boston February 18th, 2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1909367)
Indeed, those new items are all compatible with the 70D. The headphone jack is my primary motivator for putting my 70D up for sale and transitioning to the 80D... since I can't justify what I really want, and that is the 1DX Mk. II.

I might be right in line behind you. The one feature I'd also like to see with the 80D not mentioned anywhere, is whether wi-fi is disabled in movie mode. That's my major pet peeve with the 70D.

-gb-

Luis A. Diaz February 20th, 2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1909330)

Agree with you 100% total lack of luster and innovation, Canon continues to sleep in this rapidly changing field, this camera is stale in specs from the beginning, and no 4K video capabilities make it a liability from day one.
sleep well Canon, no one will bother you.

Thanks,
Luis

Gareth Watkins February 21st, 2016 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1909330)

Indeed and with Magic Lantern, the 70d has most of the features bar 1080/60P... As for the lens adapter would have been nice to have it for all canon lenses rather than just for the plastic kit lens.

cheers Gareth

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins (Post 1909506)
As for the lens adapter would have been nice to have it for all canon lenses rather than just for the plastic kit lens.

The power zoom adapter has an electronic connection interface to enable communication with the lens. You can see this in the third photo of the press release which is linked at the top of this post.

The new EF-S 18-135mm "Nano USM" is the first lens to accommodate this new connection; previous lenses do not have it so therefore they are not compatible. Hopefully we'll see more new lenses that are.