Panasonic AG-UX180 & AG-UX90 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 30th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Re: Panasonic AG-UX180 & AG-UX90

Hi All

Really interesting thread. I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I've been thinking for a while to upgrade my old Sony Z5 for possibly a UX180. Now I see the HC-X1 is the consumer version and is considerably cheaper here in the UK, and seems much the same.

Can I ask what losing the HD-SDI output and timecode is worth to a non-commercial film-maker like me who usually makes movies solo? I hope it means nothing.

Thanks.
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #62
Unregistered Guest

It would make absolutely no difference for your purposes, you wouldn't need SDI and timecode at all. If you ever did need to connect to a switcher in a TV studio, most newer switchers use HDMI also, which of course, the HC-X1 has.
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:56 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Hi William,

I am also still using the sony Z5u..what a great camera..and can't beat the 1.6 ..just wow..I only now use it only for wedding reception footage. Also looking at the UX180 at first, but I think the HC-1X is all I need.
Happy shopping!
Julius Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:29 PM   #64
Inner Circle

My FZ2500 has the same ..F2.8 at wide and yes, it hits F4.5 before you get to full zoom ... so that would probably be much the same.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:44 AM   #65
Inner Circle

A fixed aperture lens would be too expensive and heavy for these larger sensor cameras. In addition they also are limited in reach. While my 1/3" camcorder is also variable aperture at the wide end its 1.6 about 2 stops faster and 23x zoom. But despite that advantage it exhibits more noise in the shadows. It's seldom you gain something without losing something. The trade off here is senor size (resolution and light sensitivity) for reduced optics range and aperture. I often bring both cameras to an event and use which ever one suits my need.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:05 PM   #66
Unregistered Guest

I just got an email from B&H saying that they're shipping the AG-UX180. Unfortunately, the latest review on the B&H site is not so good. The reviewer says that "this camera is a noisy mess", and mentioned that even on a bright sunny day with the iris wide open, gain set to 0db, there was visible noise on every shot.
I think I'll keep using my NX5U until Sony releases something amazing, and I don't think I'll be considering Panasonic.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:40 PM   #67
Trustee

Huh?.....I have a hard time believing that its "that" noisy. Sony's 1inch-type chips are pretty clean at 0db. Hell, they are supprisingly clean at 12db too. If Panasonic is buying Sony made sensors, Id expect this camera to at least be as good as a Sony Z150. It "should" be even better if the sensor has a lower pixel count and has larger photosites.

I dunno....i need to see them together with my own two eyes before I believe any opinion.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:32 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Arszyla View Post
the latest review on the B&H site is not so good. The reviewer says that "this camera is a noisy mess", and mentioned that even on a bright sunny day with the iris wide open, gain set to 0db, there was visible noise on every shot.
Do you have the link for this rather disturbing post please?
I'm a disbeliever of that one.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:40 PM   #69
Inner Circle

This sample of HC-X1 looks nice to my eyes
. For the reference to the review just go to https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...camcorder.html.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 04:42 PM   #70
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ellwood View Post
Do you have the link for this rather disturbing post please?
I'm a disbeliever of that one.
Click on the reviews link:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...camcorder.html

I'm also skeptical of the other review that starts with "Panasonic loaned me an AG-UX180". The reviewer who wrote that review obviously has some sort of preferential relationship with Panasonic.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:25 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Hi and thanks for that. Thanks also to Ron.

I'm not professional videographer, or someone who buys this kind of kit more than once every few years. I don't really know this supplier.

But this linked format of review can't carry any strength or guaranteed validity surely? Is it true, as it's the only comment of such negativity that I've came across in my little bit of research into a new cam?

The reviewer panned it as being totally worthless in good light, and without any light processing. It could have been written by a rival company; it appears that damning.

Although I've used a Sony Z5 for years, I've loads of Panasonic kit, and nothing they've made has really let me down in basic function - but I say that as a basic consumer and not a discerning pro.

I see the HC-X1 as all I need, and I really can't take the linked review with serious respect. At best it's an opinion from a random dood who took an opportunity to have a pop at an otherwise well appraised camcorder.

Is there a UX180 owner on here to comment?

Regards
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:40 PM   #72
Trustee

Got the UX180 today and played with it a bit around the office. First reaction is that it's night and day better than the UX90 picture quality wise. At first glance, I was liking the images for the most part at 0db, 6db and 12db gain judging off a 5" Atomos monitor. I'm on the fence about buying a trio of these cameras, and will be doing more testing in the coming week. I think that modification of the picture profiles help a lot in cleaning up the images. The camera looks pretty gross IMO when you first turn it on. Developing...
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:42 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Arszyla View Post
Click on the reviews link:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...camcorder.html

I'm also skeptical of the other review that starts with "Panasonic loaned me an AG-UX180". The reviewer who wrote that review obviously has some sort of preferential relationship with Panasonic.
I don't put much weight in his review because I own the UX90 that uses the same sensor. It's not without flaws but the image quality is fine.

It's always a red flag when someone resorts to hyperbole. The noise at 0db on a sunny day is unusable? Did he forget to take the lens cap off?

I've read enough complaints from people do to their misuse or their unrealistic expectations. "I returned this dslr because the audio is unusable!"

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 3rd, 2017 at 07:31 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:19 PM   #74
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Got the UX180 today and played with it a bit around the office. First reaction is that it's night and day better than the UX90 picture quality wise. At first glance, I was liking the images for the most part at 0db, 6db and 12db gain judging off a 5" Atomos monitor. I'm on the fence about buying a trio of these cameras, and will be doing more testing in the coming week.
The real test would be to import the video into your NLE and scrutinize it on a 27" monitor.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:27 PM   #75
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Pete Cofrancesco;1925742]I don't put much weight in his review because I own the UX90 that uses the same sensor./QUOTE]

The UX90 has a different sensor from the UX180/HC-X1 .

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News