Sony's camera divisions to be spun off into a separate entity. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 1st, 2017, 11:01 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Sony's camera divisions to be spun off into a separate entity.

You'd think there would be an opening for a company that doesn't have its stuff blow up.... and Sony does still innovate, at least in the camera division.

If the earthquake wasn't bad enough, the seismic shift in how people use their electronics.... and as the article pointed out, the rise of the cell phone to dominate them all, has changed the economics of many companies. Sony is no exception.

Hopefully there will still be a market for high end imaging and audio products, big enough to support an innovator rather than a name resting on laurels...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:38 AM   #32
Trustee

I can see Sony dumping its "Handycam" and "NXCAM" brands and all of their low end point and shoots. However, I have to believe their RX line and their Alpha, XDCAM and CineAlta brands have a good future.

The only think that I think could screw Sony's own camera line is Sony Silicon Semiconductor group. If Sony increases its sale of their technology to competitors, that is going to kill Alpha and XDCAM. If Sony sells its EXMOR chips to Panny for their GH5 and sells their 6k readout and scaling engine to competitors, that just cuts Alpha and XDCAM off at the knees.

There is nothing worse for a Sony pro marketing or sales manager to look across the NAB convention floor and see that his competition is buying key Sony technology in their cameras to sell against him.

Canabolism is a tough thing.

CT

Last edited by Cliff Totten; February 2nd, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:45 PM   #33
Major Player

I don't know how the different divisions work. Looking at the Sony website, all the audio, video stuff is still there, TV's too. It seems the darn movie business continues to drag them down. I just read they lost a boatload last quarter in the movie business, but they sold 57 million PS4 in the last 3 years which has been making a lot of money. Like to see them get out of the movie business.

But here's an interesting article I read about the Japanese electronics industry in general. At least, it's one writer's perspective for what it's worth. Maybe Sony feels it can't break the management style unless it separates the companies????
Inside the Demise of Japan Inc. | Fox Business

Last edited by Mark Goodsell; February 2nd, 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Mark Goodsell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News