New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:15 AM   #226
Major Player

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

WB was daylight on both cams. Profile on both was stock "standard". From 8bit to 10bit, the only change was the recording format.

The 10 bit footage caused all kinds of problems with premier and quicktime (lots of crashes in both). I'm hoping its a prerelease issue. The noisiness of the 10 bit was a big surprise, too, but may be a prerelease firmware problem. I spent ages with some of the footage we shot "properly" earlier in the day and I just couldn't find any way that the 10 bit outperformed the 8 bit. But, i'm happy to be proven a dumb hillbilly by a more experienced colorist.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:26 AM   #227
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
Steve, Saramonic has external audio solutions that can be mounted to the bottom of the camera or on top via the cold shoe. Both have XLR input(s) with 48V phantom power. The downside is they need a separate 9V battery. The model I use is the top mounted CaMixer that has one unbalanced 3.5mm jack and one mini-XLR input (adapter included).
Look at the "Juiced Link" products. Solid, flexible, small and a great preamp!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:51 AM   #228
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
WB was daylight on both cams. Profile on both was stock "standard".
This was a good test and clearly shows how much the gh5 has improved over the gh4, skintones also look different between both camera's but it's knowxn that panasonic has tweaked the color on their g80/gx80 so it's logical the gh5 would follow.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM   #229
Inner Circle

I'll preface my opinion with "I'm not planning on buying one".... so I've got no money or ego invested....

On a 4K 42" "monitor" (cheap Seiki TV), the differences were pretty stunning.... and from what I've seen the GH4 was already a pretty good camera.

More noise in the 10 bit clips vs 8 bit, but overall the GH5 was much sharper and cleaner, way more usable in low light. Darker areas that went to "mush"and mottled blotching in the GH4 clips (something I've seen before in Pannys) stayed crisp, sharp and detailed in the GH5 clips.

Glad to see the skin tones seeming to look more natural, that's always bugged me with Panasonic - my tests with Panasonic cameras have tended to show a weird blueish cast to skin and particularly lips... a bit "unhealthy" look, to my eye... the GH5 looked quite "healthy"!

Hadn't planned to move to this "system", in fact just bought a nice RX10M3 from someone who was... but that "quick and dirty" test was rather compelling! Panasonic has a "winner" on their hands, guess they are going to be the company "pushing the market" for a while! All the other companies will be sucking dust trying to catch up for a while, IMO! Credit where credit is due, GREAT job, Panasonic!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:06 PM   #230
Inner Circle

The noise on 10-bits could be occurring when feeding an 8-bit monitor. The bits get cut off, rather than dithered and rounded and you get some grit.

It would be interesting to run the same 8-bit and 10-bit image through a strong grading curve, then dither and output 8-bits. That's where the 10-bit source material will earn its dinner.
Old February 24th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #231
New Boot

Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #232
New Boot

Old February 27th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #233
New Boot

Old March 1st, 2017, 05:12 PM   #234
Major Player

Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #235
New Boot

Old March 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #236
Inner Circle

400mb, all intra, no fear, haha, that last one was fun. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #237
New Boot

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #238
New Boot

Old March 20th, 2017, 05:19 AM   #239
New Boot

Old March 20th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #240
Trustee

I've been led to believe that Jessops will have stock end of the week and should start shipping pre-orders then. Hopefully should have mine middle of next week. Just when I get back from filming in Ireland. Would liked to have had it before then, but it was a pretty tall order given I leave Friday. Can't wait to be shooting 4K at 50p. plus run my own tests on 10bit. Just been too many conflicting reports on it to draw any proper conclusions from. Not to mention that Cinema5D review they have since taken down.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series