DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Nikon kills off DL line of cameras without selling a single unit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/533596-nikon-kills-off-dl-line-cameras-without-selling-single-unit.html)

Jack Zhang February 15th, 2017 04:39 PM

Nikon kills off DL line of cameras without selling a single unit

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...ancelled-sales

Really makes you wonder when and if Nikon will ever compete in the 4K compact mirrorless market at framerates above a measly 12-15fps.

Dave Baker February 16th, 2017 12:50 AM

Re: Nikon kills off DL line of cameras without selling a single unit

This tells a bit more Nikon Suffers Huge Losses and Cancels Cameras, Crashing Stock

Pete Cofrancesco February 16th, 2017 07:42 AM

Its no secret Nikon has been falling further behind, this is just further confirmation. Either they were too slow to recognize the importance of video in the dslr or they didn't have the background to successfully compete. Ie it was easier for video companies such as Sony, Panasonic & Canon to make photo camera shoot video than the other way around. And now with the rise of mirrorless cameras Nikon has become a fish out of water.

Dave Baker February 16th, 2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Ie it was easier for video companies such as Sony, Panasonic & Canon to make photo camera shoot video than the other way around.
Then again, not-so-much talked about still camera manufacturer Fujifilm is making good inroads into video, including UHD on the X-T2. Makes you wonder what Nikon are up to.

Dan Brockett February 17th, 2017 08:53 AM

I recommended the XT-2 for a friend of mine who wanted to replace her Canon and Nikon DSLRs. The Fujis look so much better than the GH5 and the Sonys that everyone is buying. I cannot for life of me, figure out how the GH5 (flat pastel-looking) and Sony (Cyan-Blue Corpse Looking) skin tones are acceptable to people?!? The XT-2 has the very warm, rich Canon-like skin tones and the film emulations are superb if you do not have the time or inclination to color correct. The only drawback of the Fuji for video is it has a lot of jello so not a good handheld action camera. As far as Nikon, as a lifelong Nikon shooter, I am sad to say they seem in their death throes. It's a shame as they could have been very successful in the video DSLR and then mirrorless era with the right strategy.

Pete Cofrancesco February 17th, 2017 01:17 PM

I have used Nikon since I was a teen. They are excellent for taking stills. I still own one of their dslr with a number of their quality lens which I wish I could use.

Its not uncommon for larger companies to struggle to adapt. Hasselblad was even in worse shape before dji stepped in. The real issue is that smart phones have replaced a large portion of their business. That leaves only the pro and prosumer . A weak video option leaves them vulnerable to an already highly competitive marketplace.

Steve Struthers March 4th, 2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1927847)
Its no secret Nikon has been falling further behind, this is just further confirmation. Either they were too slow to recognize the importance of video in the dslr or they didn't have the background to successfully compete. Ie it was easier for video companies such as Sony, Panasonic & Canon to make photo camera shoot video than the other way around. And now with the rise of mirrorless cameras Nikon has become a fish out of water.

Canon have never been a true video company in a historical sense. Sure, they've developed some degree of fame for the range of zoom lenses they make for broadcast studio and ENG cameras, but they've never designed and attempted to market a true studio or ENG-type camera, although this is changing in the sense that some of their camcorders are now aimed at the low-end ENG market and in the higher-end cinema production field.

On the other hand, Sony and Panasonic have been developing and marketing professional and industrial-grade TV cameras since the early 1960s, so the breadth and depth of their experience in this area is vastly greater than Canon's.

It doesn't surprise me that Nikon ditched their DL-series cameras, notwithstanding their financial problems. Nikon have never really had a good grasp of how to do video, and the DSLRs they do have that capture video have been somewhat underwhelming. Nikon have also demonstrated that they don't know how to make a really good mirrorless camera, while Sony and Panasonic are well down this particular road and are going from strength to strength in the MILC field.

If Nikon don't address their financial problems, I could see them reducing their camera lines to just a few pro models, three or four consumer DSLR's, and a couple of point-and-shoot pocket cams. That wouldn't augur well for Nikon's future.

Nigel Barker March 6th, 2017 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Struthers (Post 1928497)
Canon have never been a true video company in a historical sense. Sure, they've developed some degree of fame for the range of zoom lenses they make for broadcast studio and ENG cameras, but they've never designed and attempted to market a true studio or ENG-type camera, although this is changing in the sense that some of their camcorders are now aimed at the low-end ENG market and in the higher-end cinema production field.

Why ignore the extensive range of Pro & consumer camcorders Canon has produced going back to mini DV days. Nikon AFAIK has never produced a pure video camera.

Jonathan Levin March 6th, 2017 10:16 AM

Back in the 70's, didn't Nikon have a Super 8 camera? OT, I know.

Mark Watson March 7th, 2017 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
According to Wikipedia, that was their last video camera, made in '73.

Tony Waree March 8th, 2017 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, that's a movie film camera in the previous post. Nikon did manufacture 8mm & Hi8 video camcorders in the 90s, some of which, like this camcorder, is a rebadged Sony CCD-TR700. Nikon never ventured into MiniDV or HDV tape camcorders like Canon did.