Turn your old "hot light" Fresnel into a "cool" LED with Visionsmith ReLamp at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Turn your old "hot light" Fresnel into a "cool" LED with Visionsmith ReLamp

Just saw Eric Naso's blog about taking out a halogen bulb from a classic Arri fresnel and upgrading it to a LED fresnel.

Bringing New Life To My ARRI 650 With LED ReLamp From VisionSmith. |

Direct link to manufacturer ReLamp System - Visionsmith

They're not cheap ($600), but look really cool. Has anyone seen these in action at a trade show? Or purchased some for their own use?
Old March 20th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: Turn your old "hot light" Fresnel into a "cool" LED with Visionsmith ReLamp

I wonder in terms of output how these compare to some of the newer (and cheaper) LED fresnels there are constantly coming out? Which is the better deal in terms of price, output, CRI, etc.?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been contemplating these for months. There are some YouTube test videos that suggest that the Relamps DO NOT match the output levels of the original tungsten bulbs. But the test looks pretty informal and could even been performed with flawed methodology. I share you same thoughts too about how my Arri 650s with Relamps compare to something like Aputure COB 120D or the Nanguang CN-60F as far as weight, beam quality, versatility, etc.

It's a tough call, I still love my Arri lights but I rarely use them anymore, other than as an occasional hair or rim light as so much of my shooting is with LED now. It would be nice to put them back into rotation. The Relamps do allow dimming with external dimmers, you have to remove the reflector mirror from the Arri's interior in order to fit the Relamp. I hate to say this, but unless Visionsmith paid a lot of money for bulletproof patent with the attorneys to file against them selling in the U.S., I foresee Chinese knock offs of these soon at 1/2 or 1/3 of the price. Such a great idea but I think Visionsmith has priced their product too high to compete in the marketplace except perhaps with rental houses who own a lot of Arri tungsten instruments or Arri die hards. To relamp my Arri kit alone would cost almost $2,000.00, not sure if that is a good value versus spending the same $2,000.00 on more sizes of new LED fresnels and panels?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm sharing the same thoughts of Dan. The price of LED lights is getting cheaper year over year, I'm anticipating similar products in a year or two for much less.
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I foresee Chinese knock offs of these soon at 1/2 or 1/3 of the price.
I foresee even less. There's very little rewiring, and if you can buy a whole 50W LED worklight for $5 (e.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...533059461.html) even $200 seems excessive. It could be a pretty easy DIY job -- A while ago I replaced the tungsten bulb in an Arri knockoff with a 30W LED overhead, intending just to use it as a cool (in the sense of impressing customers) office light, but works pretty well as a kick. Just remove the tungsten bulb and reflector (which you have to do anyway for the ReLamp), remove the tungsten socket, connect the wires and attach the LED overhead with screws to the reflector holder: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1490138197
Attached Thumbnails
Turn your old "hot light" Fresnel into a "cool" LED with Visionsmith ReLamp-arriled.jpg  
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Trustee

I spoke with Erik Naso and he listed FC references and comparison between an Arri 650 with the tungsten bulb and the VisionSmith Relamp. There is a significant loss of power since you have to remove the reflector to fit in the Relamp. With LED Fresnels like the Nanguang CN-60f available for around $400.00 with significantly greater output, I would have a hard time justifying $600.00 to relamp each of my Arri 650s.

I feel that the Arri will be built better, will probably last longer and may have a slightly better fresnel lens, but greater power at 1/3 less money overrides those concerns. Realistically, the days of needing and expecting your lights to last 20 years like our Arris have is done. The technology is changing almost weekly so if you can get a solid three or four years out of Nanguang for $400.00, there will be something probably a lot better and more powerful hitting the market in a year or two.

Crazy times that the lighting paradigm has not become like the camera paradigm. New stuff available all of the time that is better, cheaper, lighter and more powerful.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

A more general question. . .with many of these lights being daylight only, or having cheaper versions that are daylight only. . .how much of a dealbreaker is that?

I mean, obviously bi-color/adjustable color is preferable because, duh, versatility, but in folks' experience, in everyday situations/shoots, how tough/time consuming is it, really, to put in a tungsten or other filter if necessary? And that's only if you're having to match to something else. . .in many situations you could go all daylight and WB to daylight so it's all good.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

EVS
(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News