DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Resolve 14 announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/533981-resolve-14-announced.html)

Brian Drysdale April 25th, 2017 02:44 AM

Resolve 14 announced

BlackMagic has announced Resolve 14, with a public beta available for testing - seems everyone is skipping V13. Features include a new audio post-production suite with Fairlight audio built in, and multi-user collaboration tools.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/bl...ci-resolve-14/

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/it...nci-resolve-14

Andrew Bower April 26th, 2017 12:33 AM

Re: Resolve 14 announced

Took a look at it at NAB. We have been using Sony (Now MAGIX) Vegas Pro for years and have been waiting for someone to include some of the features we have grown accustomed to into a fully supported platform. Resolve has done so (partially) with version 14 so we are taking a closer look to see if it will fully replace Vegas for us.

(No offense to MAGIX, but Sony neglected us VEGAS users for years and MAGIX was not even at NAB)

Still some things missing, but Resolve does look rather nice - and the price is right!

Andrew

Brian Drysdale April 26th, 2017 02:46 AM

I suspect the BlackMagic developers would interested to hear about the features that Vegas users feel are missing. Although, bear in mind that each NLE is different, so what initially appears not to be there, may be there, but done in a different way.

Andrew Bower April 26th, 2017 08:40 PM

Brian, you are probably right. The truth is, if BMD developers were to post something on the official MAGIX forum asking for input, they would instantly get about 95% of existing Vegas users to download Resolve. Mostly because so many of us feel neglected for so many years.

Brian Drysdale April 27th, 2017 01:16 AM

I don't think that BND would do that, although I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas users bring the subject up or go the Resolve forum themselves. I gather Resolve 14 still at the public beta stage (currently a bit buggy I gather), so the developers may be open to suggestions, especially if they can program something in an hour or two.

Gareth Watkins April 27th, 2017 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1931303)
. I gather Resolve 14 still at the public beta stage (currently a bit buggy I gather), so the developers may be open to suggestions, especially if they can program something in an hour or two.

Yes I downloaded Resolve 14 and it has no audio on edit playback... Lookinjg at the BMD forum this seems to be a very common bug for a number of people who are trying out this latest version..
I hope they get it fixed soon as pretty unusable on my PC in this state.
cheers
Gareth

Brian Drysdale April 27th, 2017 05:38 AM

I gather you currently need Decklink for the audio to work on Resolve V14. That may have something to do with the addition of the Fairlight Audio section.

Donald McPherson April 27th, 2017 09:35 AM

Should work without decklink up to 60 channels 1000 with.

Brian Drysdale April 27th, 2017 12:51 PM

The decklink may just be a Linux thing, although a number of people have reported no audio, which can just be a standard public beta issue..

Jack Zhang April 27th, 2017 01:06 PM

How does the new version fare with weird codecs? I know on 12.5, if you try to navigate to a folder which has files in a weird codec like HEVC or VP9, Resolve INSTANTLY crashes. I'd prefer it just not read weird codecs to have a safeguard against that, like an experimental switch in the program options.

Brian Drysdale April 27th, 2017 02:00 PM

I suspect at this early stage of beta testing people are just going through the basic functions, rather than testing a range of different codecs.

Ken Plotin April 27th, 2017 09:26 PM

I'd like to have tried version 14, but for some reason they dropped support for Windows 7, and I have no desire to upgrade to Windows 10 any time soon.
Ken

Jack Zhang April 27th, 2017 09:50 PM

What I wish is for them to make the Linux version support more distributions than the limited support it currently has. Right now it's only Red Hat and CentOS, and the current user friendly distribution of Linux is Debian/Ubuntu.

Now that Win7 support is gone, it makes proper Linux support that much more important.

Donald McPherson April 27th, 2017 11:50 PM

Ken, why don't you try dual boot. Have the best of both worlds. Windows 10 is OK unless you have something that will not work with it.

Bryan Worsley April 28th, 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1931359)
What I wish is for them to make the Linux version support more distributions than the limited support it currently has. Right now it's only Red Hat and CentOS, and the current user friendly distribution of Linux is Debian/Ubuntu.

I got the free versions of Resolve 12.5.5 and 14 beta to install on Kubuntu 16.10. But there's no audio, H264 import/export is not supported and the program crashes attempting to import or render DNxHD/DNxHR or use the latter as the 'optimized media' (proxy) format. ProRes import is also not supported. Cineform (avi and mov) and Grass Valley HQ/HQX files are accepted, but neither can be encoded with ffmpeg (decode only) and Cineform export is not an option (requiring GoPro Studio). So as a 'dedicated linux system' you are left with Uncompressed 422 (8-bit or 10-bit) as the only workable exchange intermediate. Even so, the lack of audio itself is a show stopper.

Also any Panasonic GH5 owners or prospective buyers should know that the native UHD/10-bit 422 files are only supported in the licensed Studio version of Resolve 14.