New Panasonic GH5S introduced - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 11th, 2018, 10:32 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: New Panasonic GH5S introduced

Well? I just canceled my GH5-S pre order. I got super excited and did an impulse buy once B&H listed it.

If the dynamic range is no better than my current GH5 and if advanced noise reduction is a big part of this cameras low light "magic". I'll just keep my GH5 with IBIS and 6k readout and my A7S-II and noise cancel in post if I ever need to. I would argue that noise reduction in post is more surgical and accurate anyway.

I will be interested in a DVX200 at NAB this year if it uses this sensor.

My GH5-S bubble has been deflated. ;-)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:07 AM   #32
Trustee

Noise reduction is a pain to apply and slows rendering. There's still noticeable improvement. Enough to make the GH5s a worthy camera to sit next to my GH5. Still I get to test it out next week, so hopefully can decide for myself rather than rely on others tests. Its always useful to keep expectations realistic. :-)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:48 AM   #33
Major Player

Steve, please report to us here after you test out the GH5S next week. I, for one, will be interested in hearing your real world results. Doesn't need to be accompanied by a fancy video, graphs, stills and all that. Just your general impression of the camera and whether or not the better low-light (which is really the big determining factor) justifies purchasing the camera. I have a GH5, DVX200 and JVC LS300, and will be very interested in your results. Thanks.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:04 AM   #34
Major Player

Interesting video interview with Panasonic's Manager of Retail Sales. He mentions that the GH5S has just shy of 14 stops of DR, and is two stops better than the GH5, So maybe the 13.5 figure is accurate, at least for video.

Old January 13th, 2018, 09:24 AM   #35
Inner Circle

It was also panasonic representatives who said the gh5 had a much improved autofocus and we all know how that turned out. I"ll believe it when I see someone perform a test, what I have seen so far for video at least there is no difference, even heard "reviewers" say they don't say a difference either between the gh5s and gh5.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 09:55 AM   #36
Major Player

No question that it's always best to take what the reviews say with a grain of salt, get your hands on one if you can, and perform your own real world tests. It's also worth noting that some of the "reviewers" have their own agenda, and may be looking to show the camera in a good or bad light. It's already been mentioned in several places that for stills the GH5 and GH5S are the same 12 stops. Supposedly, the difference is on the video side.
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It was also panasonic representatives who said the gh5 had a much improved autofocus and we all know how that turned out. I"ll believe it when I see someone perform a test, what I have seen so far for video at least there is no difference, even heard "reviewers" say they don't say a difference either between the gh5s and gh5.
This turned out well. No it's not Sony but it's definitely improved at least in this scenario. Some tests with prerelease firmware had issues but it looks to be improved.

Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:55 PM   #38
Trustee

Matt is a very sharp guy and I have talked to him many times at NAB.

Hmmm....I don't know why he is pushing the "14 stops" thing. So far, there isn't one single video that shows that the GH5-S has even 1/2 stop more than the current GH5.

"If" the GH5-S is using the STARVIS IMX294 (or variant ordered for this camera) than we know it has been measured at 13.5 in astronomy cameras right now.

I think the answer boils down to what dynamic range that VLog-L can support.

It seems like Matt is really sticking his neck out there on this 14stop claim. We are going to get the true answers more and more as this GH5-S hits the streets soon. Maybe he has firmware that nobody else has?

I'm guessing that Matt is going to regret saying this 14stop claim....but who knows?

CT
Old January 13th, 2018, 01:05 PM   #39
Inner Circle

He's not the only one stating nearly 14 stops though.
I don't know if there's a correlation but the Photo by Richard did autofocus tests a few days preceding this which was on firmware 0.2 and the GH5s didn't fare very well.

Perhaps the firmware release version is a factor and it may well be why we hadn't seen any real dynamic range tests. Those stating 14 stops hadn't really done the kind of testing to verify that. Perhaps not out of haste or negligence but because they had (under NDA) known that their preproduction models wouldn't show it.

In any case 14 stops have been repeated a number of times by people who had preproduction models so I don't think they are casual incautious reviewers.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
This turned out well.
I was actually referring to the gh5 and it's autofocus is just too unreliable, when the gh5 was about to be released some Pansonic representatives said the autofocus was very accurate, that's why I don't believe any statements coming from them anymore. I seen a few comparison videos between the gh5 and 5s and didn't see any improvement so far in dynamic range.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
He's not the only one stating nearly 14 stops though.
I don't know if there's a correlation but the Photo by Richard did autofocus tests a few days preceding this which was on firmware 0.2 and the GH5s didn't fare very well.

Perhaps the firmware release version is a factor and it may well be why we hadn't seen any real dynamic range tests. Those stating 14 stops hadn't really done the kind of testing to verify that. Perhaps not out of haste or negligence but because they had (under NDA) known that their preproduction models wouldn't show it.

In any case 14 stops have been repeated a number of times by people who had preproduction models so I don't think they are casual incautious reviewers.

Well?....for me, I REALLY want to believe with all my heart that the sensor will do 14 stops AND its got a brand new VLog-L that can actually hold those 14 stops

Somehow, I doubt that Panasonic even "wants" this camera to have that much dynamic range. The GH5-S noise reduction is already cleaner than its more expensive EVA-1 cousin. If it matches the EVA-1 in dynamic range too? That might be a bit too scary for Panasonic Pro group to accept.

The truth is out there. We will know in a couple more weeks.

CT.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; January 13th, 2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 19th, 2018, 06:01 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nogueira View Post
Steve, please report to us here after you test out the GH5S next week. I, for one, will be interested in hearing your real world results. Doesn't need to be accompanied by a fancy video, graphs, stills and all that. Just your general impression of the camera and whether or not the better low-light (which is really the big determining factor) justifies purchasing the camera. I have a GH5, DVX200 and JVC LS300, and will be very interested in your results. Thanks.
In the end it was more of a talk than a chance to play. There were a few GH5s to handle, but shared amongst a large group of attendees. The talk was quite basic, more catering to the low knowledge of video many there had on the subject. However the speakers enthusiasm for Micro 4/3s and the GH5s was infectious and the image displayed on a fancy 4K screen impressive despite footage some being in HD. The slowmo to 200fps looked great, that on 240fps rubbish and not useable in my opinion.

As for DR, I'd wager there is little improvement and what there is can be found at higher ISO, where the GH5 might lose out a bit. Low light looked good, but at my distance from the screen, hard to pixel peep.

I did film a bit with 1 camera, but just a shot of the lecture area with guests milling about. Nothing that is conclusive about real world use of the camera. Still as I planned to buy another GH5 anyway, I've decided to take the plunge and order the GH5s. Once I have a chance to really play with it, I think I'd be able to provide more thoughts on how it measures up. I need a B camera to replace my G80, something that works mostly on a tripod, handles low light so I can get a good dof on wide angle and which runs continuously, occasionally unattended. The GH5s seems therefore ideal.

Edit: Apparently I'm due to get it next Tuesday. Just in time for 2 Weddings I have Thursday and Saturday.

Last edited by Steve Burkett; January 19th, 2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Update
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #43
Trustee

One other useless bit of detail I got from the seminar yesterday was that one of the attendees in the morning session referred to the Focus joystick on the rear of the GH5 as 'The Nipple'. An image in my head I am alas stuck with now everytime I'm twiddling with it. :)
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:25 AM   #44
Trustee

I just told my wife that I'm on the internet discussung "joysticks" and "nipples" and she just gave me a dirty look.
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #45
Inner Circle

So they went the Sony route from the EX1 to the EX1R and eventually to the PMW-200. They just did tons of processing to get the image to look good.

I'm willing to turn down that noise reduction till it's acceptable enough to retain just enough sharpness. I'm used to tuning the crispening setting on Sony picture profiles so it's nothing new to me. It's still much better than a 1'' sensor in the UX180, which suffers from dark noise.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series