DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New Panasonic GH5S introduced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535183-new-panasonic-gh5s-introduced.html)

Jim Nogueira January 8th, 2018 01:30 PM

New Panasonic GH5S introduced

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382031-REG/panasonic_lumix_dc_gh5s_mirrorless_micro.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2018 02:27 PM

Re: New Panasonic GH5S introduced

Thanks Jim,

Edit: Spoke too soon, no stabilization so not for me. Will buy a GH5.

Noa Put January 8th, 2018 02:53 PM

Damn, no IBIS, that's a shame, I just removed my finger from the orderbutton.

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2018 02:54 PM

I did the same Noa.

Jim Nogueira January 8th, 2018 04:04 PM

It is a shame about the IBIS, but you can still use OIS with your lens, such as with Panasonic's very nice Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4. I use that lens on my GH5 and I'm happy with it. I am not in any rush, but will probably get a GH5S at some point to go along with my GH5 - for the low-light capability, better slow motion, and TC in/out. I also like that the new camera has a menu option of selecting LINE or MIC recording through the 3.5 input, instead of just MIC. Also, V-LOGL is included. With the GH5, it is a paid option.

Here is a video that I found helpful:

Noa Put January 8th, 2018 06:05 PM

Check out this video, iso 25600 on the gh5s looks about equally noisy as 3200 on the gh5 and it goes up to a respectable but unusable 204000iso! :) This might make me reconsider, the camera would allow me to use my constant f2.8 lenses in darker venues.

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2018 06:09 PM

Hi Jim,

Makes sense if you have Panasonic glass, I have very nice Olympus glass without OIS, so IBIS is a nice addition for me. Will most likely get the GH5 but will wait a bit and see.

TC in/out is nice if it really goes both ways. Line or Mic is a nice addition.

Actually VLOG is pretty cheap on the GH5.

I bet they sell a lot of GH5S for all the positives you mention.

Jim Nogueira January 8th, 2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1940229)
Check out this video, iso 25600 on the gh5s looks about equally noisy as 3200 on the gh5 and it goes up to a respectable but unusable 204000iso! :) This might make me reconsider, the camera would allow me to use my constant f2.8 lenses in darker venues.
https://youtu.be/IJvcI8Twnlc

Yep, one of the videos mentioned that the difference is about 7.5db of gain, which is considerable. It is certainly a trade-off losing the IBIS, but I use a Manfrotto Monopod w/ fluid head when doing events anyway - when I need to be mobile, and can't be on a tripod.

One of the videos, not sure which one, compared the GH5S with the EVA1 at different isos, and the GH looked surprisingly good. Obviously, there are many other factors, and the EVA1 is the better camera, but the GH5S would certainly make a nice B cam to the EVA1.

Jim Nogueira January 8th, 2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1940230)
Hi Jim,

Makes sense if you have Panasonic glass, I have very nice Olympus glass without OIS, so IBIS is a nice addition for me. Will most likely get the GH5 but will wait a bit and see.

TC in/out is nice if it really goes both ways. Line or Mic is a nice addition.

Actually VLOG is pretty cheap on the GH5.

I bet they sell a lot of GH5S for all the positives you mention.

Hi Paul,

You won't be disappointed with the GH5, it is a really good camera for the money. It's a great stills camera too. I don't do much still photography professionally anymore, but use the GH5 for photos all the time and love it.

Jim

Jack Zhang January 8th, 2018 07:52 PM

Rumors were slightly off with the 4K 60p. It's 4K 60p at 8bit 4:2:0 internal. Same as the GH5.

Only big difference is C4K resolution for all framerates.

IDK, I'm torn. Most of the internet based stuff is still 16:9, so a GH5 would suit that need better.

I may be waiting for a DVX200B then cause that body can have a beefier encoding chip, and I'm hoping for 4K 60p 4:2:2 internal on that. If I wanted to do web stuff right now, the GH5 has IBIS and C4K is something I'm not too keen on cause a lot of screens are still 16:9 for web delivery.

Edit: Changed my mind for the line level audio selection in particular. GH5 does not have that without the XLR adapter. If the audio tuning is more granular, I'm sold. I can then make the GH5S audio track the scratch track and a Zoom H5 the master recording PROPERLY. Scratch track with pre-amp hiss is not a good backup. If I used a standard GH5 with only the "MIC" setting for the 3.5mm jack, AGC is something unavoidable.

Edit 2: Vlog isn't optional on the GH5S, it's standard. There. That sold it for me.

Ron Evans January 8th, 2018 08:01 PM

Timecode interface is useful if you have other cameras that have this feature but if you have all Panasonic GH5 or FZ2500 etc you can sync them all to free run timecode through the WIFI app anyway. In a studio though it would be useful take the studio sync. All my use of my GH5 is on a tripod so lack of IBIS is not big deal as I have it all off anyway !!! GH5s may be an advantage to me as the IBIS would not use battery power even if it is just holding the sensor still. I expect if I did not already own a GH5 I would buy the GH5s.

Jim Nogueira January 8th, 2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1940235)
Rumors were slightly off with the 4K 60p. It's 4K 60p at 8bit 4:2:0 internal. Same as the GH5.

Only big difference is C4K resolution for all framerates.

IDK, I'm torn. Most of the internet based stuff is still 16:9, so a GH5 would suit that need better.

I may be waiting for a DVX200B then cause that body can have a beefier encoding chip, and I'm hoping for 4K 60p 4:2:2 internal on that. If I wanted to do web stuff right now, the GH5 has IBIS and C4K is something I'm not too keen on cause a lot of screens are still 16:9 for web delivery.

Edit: Changed my mind for the line level audio selection in particular. GH5 does not have that without the XLR adapter. If the audio tuning is more granular, I'm sold. I can then make the GH5S audio track the scratch track and a Zoom H5 the master recording PROPERLY. Scratch track with pre-amp hiss is not a good backup.

Edit 2: Vlog isn't optional on the GH5S, it's standard. There. That sold it for me.

Jack, DVX200B is really what I am waiting for also. The DVX200 is a good all around camera for lots of different applications, and of course is a real camcorder, with proper form factor, XLRs, etc. But it could use better low-light capability.

Jack Zhang January 8th, 2018 08:35 PM

We'll have to see at NAB if they release a DVX200B, cause the tech in this GH5S cannot be just for the Lumix series. What I do want them to do though is to expand ALL-I framerates shooting to Cfast cards on the DVX200B. SD cards won't catch up in time for ALL-I framerates at sustained 800mbps for instance. If we can't get 10bit 4:2:2 Long GOP C4K, at least allow ALL-I at 800mbps C4K on Cfast cards.

Brent Kaplan January 8th, 2018 11:58 PM

that wifi sync u speak of sucks and never works, ill be getting gh5s to replace gh5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1940236)
Timecode interface is useful if you have other cameras that have this feature but if you have all Panasonic GH5 or FZ2500 etc you can sync them all to free run timecode through the WIFI app anyway. In a studio though it would be useful take the studio sync. All my use of my GH5 is on a tripod so lack of IBIS is not big deal as I have it all off anyway !!! GH5s may be an advantage to me as the IBIS would not use battery power even if it is just holding the sensor still. I expect if I did not already own a GH5 I would buy the GH5s.

Craig Seeman January 9th, 2018 07:49 AM

On the other hand as a Blackmagic Pocket user I want to have a look at the GH5S.

I already don't have IBIS or any auto focus to speak of and internal audio of limited value.
But... I also don't have 4K and anything above 30fps and no low light performance to speak of. I do have about 13 stops of dynamic range though.

So what other camera gets me to 4k, 60fps (and higher in HD), is at least 10 bit 4:2:2 and can be all I Frame up to 30fps, have decent color science and log.

Short of Blackmagic doing something by NAB, the GH5S might be the only path forward in a small form factor.

My "run and gun" camera is a Sony Z90 so that's what I'd grab for IBIS and excellent autofocus.