Sony shares rallying today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

Sony shares rallying today

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051222/wall_...ocks.html?.v=2

Quote:
Newspaper reports said Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal could buy shares of the Japanese conglomerate.
Alwaleed is in interesting character - 5th richest person in the world. Back in 1997 he made industry news with by purchasing a 5% stake in Apple Computer. Since he's viewed as a savvy investor this could be a good sign for Sony:

http://www.forbes.com/static/bill200...atatype=Person
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Wrangler

that's good news. these shares have been dead money for three years running, so it's due.... the japanese ETF (ticker: EWJ) has been running, slowly but steadily, for the past five months, so maybe sony stock is also playing a little catch-up with the home economy....

a very interesting chart is canon (CAJ), which has tracked the ETF closely and is one of the top ten holdings in the ETF. it's not quite clear to me whether it is too late to chase or not. it's been going up on declining volume, so a good entry point may be close. canon makes 70% of revenue on office equipment, only 30% on cameras (dunno what percentage of this pebble in the river is video v. still cameras).

MC is the ticker for matsushita, parent of panasonic, has had a nice pullback, which makes for a nice entry.

i looked into making trades based on the camera revolution, but it's useless. these parent corporations are too big to trade on news on what amounts to a relatively small piece of the pie. takes a much larger trend to move them....a saudi bazillionaire, for instance!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

Well they finished the day up 3.6%. I took a chance that SNE was bottoming out and bought some shares after the cool reception the re-organization received. So far I'm *very* happy with the way this has worked out, but what goes up can also go down... :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News