DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   NEW POWER BOOK PRO-Dual Core (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/57991-new-power-book-pro-dual-core.html)

Greg Harris January 10th, 2006 07:27 PM

NEW POWER BOOK PRO-Dual Core

SHE's a BEAUTY!!!!

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Jack Zhang January 10th, 2006 07:44 PM

I was hoping for a Powerbook G5 but this would do for 3D design... would it?

Can anyone here tell me if Maya might work with this MacBook and if RED Codec editing might be possible on future models?

Evan C. King January 10th, 2006 08:03 PM

These look amazing, I can't wait till everything is native.

Boyd Ostroff January 10th, 2006 08:12 PM

I can't imagine that you'd want to run 3d modelers/renderers in emulation mode under Rosetta. Don't really know about Maya, but suspect you'll need to give them some time for a port. The handwriting has been on the wall for a long, long time about the G5 in the Powerbook, that was just never gonna happen.

I was an early adopter with the first generation PowerPC's; I bought a PowerMac 8100 back around 1995. Also had Premiere 1.0 and could edit video on it! The 8100 worked, but it had some issues. Very quickly Apple came out with a second generation which addressed some of the issues in the first machines, ran much faster, and cost much less. That's pretty much the way things seem to go. I'll be interested to hear all the reports on these new machines, but will keep puttering along with my PowerBook and dual G5 for at least one more generation :-)

Ethan Cooper January 10th, 2006 09:31 PM

I wouldn't buy one yet

Found this little tid bit on another site

"Very exciting. My only concern now is what apps I have that are uncompatable with rosetta.

This from the apple site;

"The Universal truth

Most of the applications that come on your Intel-based Mac are Universal applications, designed for screaming performance with the Intel Core Duo. That includes Mac OS X, iLife ’06, Safari and Mail. Most existing applications will continue to run, thanks to Rosetta. Pro applications from Apple — including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, and Final Cut Express — are not supported by Rosetta. For these applications, you can upgrade to the Universal version for minimal cost (see “Apple Applications” to right). Third-party applications that require precision real-time playback may perform better with a Universal version. For the expected arrival dates of Universal versions of third-party applications, check with their manufacturers."

Robert Mann Z. January 10th, 2006 10:06 PM

great looking laptop, wonder if it will run windows...

a few concerns, no modem, no battery life specs HUGE, lack of pcmcia slot (everyone doing it as well so i guess technology moves on), no fire wire 800

PROS, works with 30inch monitor, it is smaller then the old g4 and i didn't think the old one was that thick...great job apple lets hope the paint won't rub off this time i have mine on order...

Heath McKnight January 10th, 2006 11:36 PM

Only thing...PowerBook is "dead"--it's MacBook Pro. I wonder if the iBook is gonna be called MacBook.

heath

Duane Smith January 11th, 2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Only thing...PowerBook is "dead"--it's MacBook Pro. I wonder if the iBook is gonna be called MacBook.

heath

I'm actually wondering if the name 'PowerMac' is dead as well. After all, the name was coined with the creation of PowerPC-based Macs...

Noah Hayes January 11th, 2006 12:04 AM

I was hoping to order this this weekend, but if it can't run Final Cut until March...what's the point...I only have PC's, so thats why I was going to buy this one, I'll still probably pick it up in Feburary though. So according to apple (correct me if I'm wrong) Rosetta WILL NOT allow you to run Final Cut/Motion/Live Type/ Soundtrack/ect.?

Heath McKnight January 11th, 2006 12:26 AM

I thought they would, just not native/universal. Rosetta will run it, I think.

heath

Jack Zhang January 11th, 2006 12:39 AM

I'm still wondering if Maya 7 is a "Universal Application". I'd love to do 3D work without taking up tons of space on a desk.

Heath McKnight January 11th, 2006 12:47 AM

Maybe Rosetta will be good-to-go there, too.

heath

Ethan Cooper January 11th, 2006 01:21 AM

Rosetta

It's my understanding that Apple is saying that Rosetta will NOT support ANY of their pro apps as of now. Looks like March before these new intel macs will do some of us any good.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob Zimmerman January 11th, 2006 03:32 AM

I just bought a new 15' Powerbook last month. I'm good for awhile.

Wayne Morellini January 11th, 2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
I was hoping for a Powerbook G5 but this would do for 3D design... would it?

Can anyone here tell me if Maya might work with this MacBook and if RED Codec editing might be possible on future models?

I would contact Maya's manufacturer and ask them. I would go around the tech sites for reviews and information on the x1600's performance. Quiet often (most of the time) the laptop version of a chip is very weak compared to the desktop version with the same model number. Tech sites report on different versions of chips and how they compare to each other in performance. www.Tomshardware.com is one of the common ones (but also try Apple sites in case the Apple implementation has some sort of unique performance draining hiccup).

I can say that I am very disappointed, the information doing the rounds, was that the ibook was coming out for closer to $799, and a new mac mini for media, but instead they might be coming out in March/April when we were told that the Intel iMac and powerbook were coming. I was ready to plonk down for the top model HD wide-screen ibook as soon as possible :(

I hope, with blu-ray and super HD displays (8Mp) that they do a deal to do a Imax (yes X) Mac Home Theatre/PC, shipping with the film "Extreme"

Greg Harris January 11th, 2006 08:59 AM

So do you guys think this is it?? If i do buy one in the spring do you think they will release a newer/FASTER one in the summer?? What about the 17", do you think this will be coming out shortly after the 15" is in stores???

Boyd Ostroff January 11th, 2006 09:04 AM

I think you can pretty much count on the fact that whatever computer you buy in the Spring will be replaced with a faster/better/cheaper one in the Summer...

Personally... if I desparately needed a new Mac I might buy one of these, although I'd be fully aware that I was taking some chances. Just like everything else, if you can wait then there isn't much reason to buy it now. Seems like a 12" and a 17" will eventually appear, but who knows when?

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...reax/index.php

Quote:

Meanwhile, fans of Apple’s 12- and 17-inch PowerBooks have to be wondering if they’ll be invited to the party. As has happened in the past, it’s fairly likely that once the 15-inch MacBook Pro has gotten its sea legs, a larger and smaller version will follow. Let’s hope so.

Andrew Khalil January 11th, 2006 10:46 AM

my only concern, as pointed out, is the lack of firewire800 - what were they thinking? Why would they get rid of something that they themselves created and that worked so well?
I'm planning to get one in the fall, but will there be a firewire800 card to fit in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, that solves things.

Wayne Morellini January 11th, 2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Harris
So do you guys think this is it?? If i do buy one in the spring do you think they will release a newer/FASTER one in the summer?? What about the 17", do you think this will be coming out shortly after the 15" is in stores???

Greg, they are tied to Intel time frames now. Intel are indeed planning a new edition of the their chips by the end of the year, and there might be the possibility it will be very nice in terms of processing, but I have no hard facts on it. ATI will also eventually be releasing a GPU like the one in the xbox360, that should do wonders for most things 3D and video compared to normal GPU's (new architecture allows more general purpose usage and more processing). these two features may improve video performance greatly. But apart from these (and 10Gb Ethernet and true 1080 display) if it's got what you want why bother waiting?

Ethan Cooper January 11th, 2006 11:55 AM

lack of FW800

It would seem that the lack of firewire 800 is due to Intel providing the board set to go along with the chips. As far as I know and have read, Intel does not make a board with firewire 800 built into it.
I wouldn't get too worked up about this laptop. I think it was rushed out the door by Apple. I'm pretty sure a REV.B version will be better thought out and more Appleish.

Jeffrey Brown January 11th, 2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil
my only concern, as pointed out, is the lack of firewire800 - what were they thinking? Why would they get rid of something that they themselves created and that worked so well?
I'm planning to get one in the fall, but will there be a firewire800 card to fit in the ExpressCard/34 slot? If so, that solves things.

i heard some thinking a while back that Apple was going to migrate away from firewire in favor of USB and WUSB. i'll try to dig the articles up.

Kurth Bousman January 11th, 2006 04:42 PM

...yawn..burp...maybe in a couple of years. The new iweb and garageband 3 , however, look cool. And as usual apple wants me to pay $49 for a universal disk of my new fcstudio. I'm glad my new g5 and pwb are able to run pro apps( just like apple said it would )but I can't understand why they want to dead end their software w/o offering a free upgrade to universal. Ok , it's just 49 bucks , but it's apples' sticky fingers in the pie everytime . Apple should think about maintaining the customers it has, in addition to converting windows owners. Final Cut Studio and Shake owners should get a free universal disk in the mail ( w/ an ice cream coupon) .Kurth

Boyd Ostroff January 11th, 2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
Apple should think about maintaining the customers it has, in addition to converting windows owners. Final Cut Studio and Shake owners should get a free universal disk in the mail

Everytime an upgrade comes along this same issue arises, and I know that some people feel very strongly about it. But like you said, "it's only 49 bucks." I can't imagine that this charge will have the slightest effect on retaining users or winning converts. If you can hold out just a bit longer it wouldn't surprise me if there was a completely new version of FCP for the usual upgrade cost.

BTW, I was just reading that April 1 will be the 30th anniversary of Apple's founding. Hmm, I wonder if Steve is planning anything to commemorate that event?...

Kurth Bousman January 11th, 2006 06:07 PM

yea, he's planning two weeks on his private planet w/ 10 geishas , each w/ their own ipodcasting thru the new garageband. In a more serious tone , I think steve might look no further than Mr. Nattress' business model . I love apple things but I don't love how they try to peel those bills from my own sticky fingers - usually 2 or 3 times for the same product. I don't see canon charging me for firmware upgrades , for example.And , if they want $49 for a universal disk - ok. But they also want an exchange.That means I have to mail the old one internationally. Couldn't they do this by downloads ? Just a small break in the ranks of the faithful....I also don't see any products this year that would make me envious except the aforementioned garageband 3, jampack world music and iweb, which is nice to go thru a macworld and not want to spend 2,000. This year I can get all the cool stuff for a couple of hundred. And Boyd , you're probably correct. Each time, this does come up -& I'm probably the culprit. I refuse , even if I live in appleworld, to be a patriot. take care-Kurth

Jason Lowe January 13th, 2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
BTW, I was just reading that April 1 will be the 30th anniversary of Apple's founding. Hmm, I wonder if Steve is planning anything to commemorate that event?...

Probably another cover story on Time Magazine. Seems that's what their number one goal is anymore.

Harrison Murchison January 13th, 2006 02:03 PM

Taking an app from one binary to another isn't like updating firmware. The programmers had to pore over thousands of lines of code and remove dependencies that aren't allowed in Universal Binary apps.

I wonder if a client made you go back and edit changes to work previously completed. Would you feel comfortable if they expected this for free?

Kurth Bousman January 13th, 2006 08:13 PM

Harrison - do you really think that's what the $49 will be used for - to cover programmer costs ? When most fcp users have invested usually a couple of grand into the game, and the rules are changed mid-game, by Apple, well, yes , I think they should offer the universal disk for free. And allow us to keep the original .

Harrison Murchison January 15th, 2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
Harrison - do you really think that's what the $49 will be used for - to cover programmer costs ? When most fcp users have invested usually a couple of grand into the game, and the rules are changed mid-game, by Apple, well, yes , I think they should offer the universal disk for free. And allow us to keep the original .

The $49 upgrade is only necessary if you purchase a new Intel based Mac. I'm thinking that Apple will offer this for people that need Universal Binary version but don't want to buy the next version of Final Cut Studio.

I wouldn't say the rules have changed because your PPC binary FCP works just fine it's only an issue if you purchase a Mac intel based computer. We're all here to make money and I don't have much of a problem with Apple charging for the uprade because of the work involved. This isn't fixing a bug it's code rewriting. I don't expect anyone to work for free.

Andrew Khalil January 15th, 2006 09:22 AM

just curious, what if I want to run a new software version (designed for Intel processors) on my G5 - will I need to do anything special like buying this $49.00 disc or will new software run on both?

Evan C. King January 15th, 2006 02:18 PM

Why are you guy even complaining? Unless you're buying an imac and/or macbook pro before NAB(probably when fcp 6 will debut) why would you even need this? Our versions run fine on the computers we have.

Jeffrey Brown January 15th, 2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison Murchison
Taking an app from one binary to another isn't like updating firmware. The programmers had to pore over thousands of lines of code and remove dependencies that aren't allowed in Universal Binary apps.

I wonder if a client made you go back and edit changes to work previously completed. Would you feel comfortable if they expected this for free?

What makes this different is that by purchasing FCP or any other Apple product you are inextricably tied to their platform. If they change the hardware, then they should make sure that their existing users are still taken care of. Firmware is provided for free because the hardware hasn't changed, and they want your business once you have retired that item. It’s called customer satisfaction.

The entire 'Mac Switch' campaign was based on the premise that you don’t need to know anything technical to use the platform, and that everything just works as you would expect. Part of the 'Mac Promise' is that their software works with their hardware without worry. As soon as that guarantee goes away... you just have a PC with more eye candy and less hardware compatibility.

Charging $49 for a CD, that will arguably make them significantly more money in the long run, is simply a farce.

Heath McKnight January 15th, 2006 07:22 PM

Unless they want super-fast (according to specs) iMactel.

heath