New lens system from v3imaging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Major Player

New lens system from v3imaging

Hope this is not old news, could not find it anywhere here. Very interesting, though, as there is an article about the lens in the new P3 production update.

http://www.inv3.com/
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Major Player

0 posts after 2 days. Okay, obviously not a hot topic for discussion. Although the effect the lens produces is not overwhelming, it is interesting to see the somewhat 3D effect it produces. Perhaps this tech can trickle down to more affordable or consumer type cameras one day.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Very interesting. There has been many 3D effects processing for normal TV stuff for years, if they can combine them into the same package maybe we will really have something. I would definitely consider this sort of thing for Internet TV or independent station, as the big boys probably would be slow to get into it.

I have not downloaded the sample video, not broadband, and I couldn't be bothered going through form filling. It does sound similar to the existing effect of moving a camera in an arc around the scene, giving dramatic rotating movement to still scenes, as used in shows like Stargate etc, but with slight angle changes from the fixed point instead. Is this what you see in their footage? Amazing they applied for a patent on it, this is what people have been doing for thousands of year, a common viewing mechanism, you look at something and turn it, or shift your head around to see the 3D features. When people view something new/exciting/interesting at a distance people tend to close a eye alternatively or move the head around slightly in the same way to produce this parallax interpretation, even your head bobbing around walking does the same thing, which is probably why the effect works, the brain uses it on a regular basis. So it must be a patent for a machine that imitates the effect, it could not be for the technique that is prior art and commonly used by may people.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Major Player

In some ways when viewing the footage I was reminded, to a degree, of the images produced from the "ViewMaster" toy I had as a kid. There's a distinct accenting of specific subjects within the frame due to the parallaxing effect that makes me really intrigued by this lens.
You're right concerning the patent, it is a bit curious. I'm sure we'll see in the next few years or so whether this lens raises a fuss or not.
And yes, the form filling is a pain, but my Mac in switched to "autofill" so it took the drudgery out of it.
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

V3 creepy

The footage at the bottom, where they compare the effect on and off, really creeps me out.

Very cool effect though.

I did find myself distracted by the deep focus on all objects. My eyes continually moved around the image.

I could see this being used for effect in certain scenes, but I don't know if I could watch a whole movie like that.

It would be great to use for perspective shots.
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, the lens has actually been around for a little while now, I'm not sure exactly for how long, but I wanna say approx. 1-2 years now.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News